PDA

View Full Version : ed civic build brain stewing

dillon.ornelas
19-06-2012, 07:24 PM
so ive been sitting around and like most other people in the world am contemplating ways of going faster (it is natural instinct to constantly move forward, evolve and adapt) i recently brought back to life an ej8 with a d16y8 with full front end conversion all the boltons that make it loud adjustable springs some sweeeeet dished wheels new paint and a bunch of other visually pleasing bits and pieces.

NOW THE POINT
engine
i was thinking bout putting a b20 non vtec in an ed civic with b16 lsd gearbox big straight pipe, homemade bisimoto style extractors long ram intake blox intake manifold port matched to aftermarket throttle body and bump compression up to the 11.5:1 range. of course a chip n tune and cam gears (maybe some cams but if im going through the effort of head work i should probs just go vtec)
other
full gut except bare necesities i.e no power steering, ill use the lightest spacesaver i have sitting round as it is a daily, need to unfog windows (unless i can rig some small hairdryer motors up for defogging) suspension, i like my cars LOW ssr mk2's wide guards to tuck the wide rims, and street slicks and ofcourse other cool little aero bits n pieces.
flame suit ON...what do you guys think....can you point out any major floors in my plan?

hmetro24
19-06-2012, 07:33 PM
if u wanna build a b20, build it b20 vtec

dillon.ornelas
20-06-2012, 12:38 PM
the only reason i didn't wanna do the vtec head is because of money mainly, gotta convert the block to vtec, spend money to alow the bottom end to rev hard without tearing itself appart, probably best to get a good oil pump, head work is a must, b16 head or vtir, big port and polish, cams with more lift, valvesprings retainers, a little bigger valves, since its reving harder a b18c lsd box would better be suited and bigger injectors. im not trying to be the fastest just looking for a decent power to weight ratio.

dougie_504
20-06-2012, 01:10 PM
B20 block will still rev to 8-8,500 usually. Breather is the main thing you need to address and that's not hard/expensive.

Head work isn't necessary at all. Most B16A head on B20 block setups I've seen have pushed out around 115kw on various dynos, standard internals. Rev to 8-8,500 and you're laughing, great fun.

Think twice before enlarging your valves on a B-series VTEC head. Consult your camshaft company first. It's a DOHC, not a SOHC, so there is less room around the valves and sometimes you will get valve-valve clearance issues running aftermarket camshafts with adjusted timing. Need to be very careful here.

B18C LSD box is often the best option, but a 4.4FD box is fine. LSD is great for the track of course, but you can still track without it and DD you will be fine. You can always upgrade this later.

Injectors are normally fine too, just give them a good clean/flow test.

And yeah if you want good power to weight just strip the crap out of the ED before you go chasing more power. The B20 will be sh!tloads of power in an ED, you won't know yourself...

dillon.ornelas
20-06-2012, 07:17 PM
yer i heard about valve to valve clearance and valve to piston clearance in high comp b20s mainly ones with cams with bigger lift, alot of people go arp bolts on the head and con rods im asuming weak points. either way i definatly wanna bump the compression up and do all the bolt ons, just not to sure how on how the rods will hold up with high comp let alone high comp and 8500rpm.

dillon.ornelas
20-06-2012, 07:21 PM
maybe an auto b16 head is a way to have vtec n lower peak power rpm n will still be greater than stock head