PDA

View Full Version : 09 Odyssey Luxuxry HID headlamps

Mr Honda
21-06-2012, 09:59 PM
Hi,

My 09 odyssey has factory HID low beam headlamps but stock halogen for high beam. Must admit, not the best at night.

I have since replaced the high beam HB3 55W globes with a HID HB3 55W 6000k set. The difference is chalk and cheese. So much more pleasant at night, better visibility in the wet and everything illuminates better.

Id recommend this to anyone.

Stock high beam bulb on the 2009 RB3 odyssey is a 55w HB3 or also refered to as 9005.

Thank you.

redsin
24-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Hi Mr Honda

I just got delivery of my '12 Odyssey Luxury and I noticed that the high beam is a halogen type. Can you share where you got the HID HB3 55W 6000K set from and price paid?

I am not sure if I have got the right one but I saw this from Amazon and they are about 70USD excluding shipping and they don't ship to OZ so it will cost quite a bit to send here via a forwarder.
http://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conversion-Colors-Premium-Ballasts/dp/B004ZF35GM/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1343110150&sr=1-3-fkmr0&keywords=HID+HB3+55W+6000k+set

Re installation, is it a diy and how easy?

Thanks v much.

androo
24-07-2012, 07:08 PM
How do you find the HID kit for high beams? Do you still 'flash' people? And how is the lighting when it's just firing up? I'm not too sure how well HID kits + high beams work to be honest since when I'm doing interstate driving they have to be on and off a lot (as people drive by).

Would be good to get some feedback on your driving style at night and how you find the bulbs.

Mr Honda
26-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Firstly, the operation. Once the HID's have been installed for high beam the operation of these lights are no different to they way worked from factory. When you turn high beam on the lights turn and so on. When you flash an oncoming vehicle they flash.

When you start driving the very first time you turn the high beam on they take approx 10-15secs to warm up and reach full intensity. When changing from high to low and back again in short intervals the HID's generally hold enough warmth within that when you return to high beam again they are at pretty much at full intensity. If you have turned from high beam back to low beam for quiet some time then when you turn on high beam again it takes another 10secs or so for full brightness. This can be overcome by purchasing a good quality (expensive) set of HID's like Phillips or the like. This is something you get used to and not everyone will like this but this works for me.

Over the last five years dealing with HID's I have found that the 55W HID's give slightly better lighting on a high beam lamp but not that much difference in a low beam lamp.

Installation. If you purchase a set of HB3 (also known as 9005) HID's they will basically plug and play. You unplug the the connector from the bottom of the HB3 halogen bulb fitted to your vehicle. Rotate and remove the stock HB3 halogen bulb from the headlamp. The new HB3 HID bulb pushes and rotates back in place of the original bulb. Please note that with mine a had to apply a very small amount of vasoline on the rubber o'ring around the base of the bulb to assist with installation as the bulb is a very firm fit. This is good as you do not want water or moisture getting into the light. Once the bulb is installed secure the ballast near the headlamp. Connect the wires from the bulb to the ballast. Connecting plugs are on the end of the cables. Then simple plug the remaining connector into the original plug that plugged into the stock HID bulb. All done, that simple.

I did by mine off ebay, about AU$35-40, seam to be the cheapest price I could find. See attached link for similar item: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/55W-HID-Conversion-Kit-H1-H3-H7-H8-H9-H11-9005-9006-H4-2-880-881-All-Color-/160811385227?pt=AU_Clothing_Merchandise_Media&var=&hash=item6b1e9e3b99 .At the top of the page select HB3/9005. It's up to you whether or not you choose 35W or 55W bulbs.

As for the temperature colour I general use 6000K. Daylight is generally classed as 5000K. Most standard halogen bulbs are 3000-3500K. I do have 4700K in other vehicles.
I personally find the 6000K the best at it produces a clean white pure light. More so noticable at night when lighting up the white lines on the road etc. The 4700K have an ever so light yellow tint to it.

To sum it up, very easy to install (20-30mins), use HB3 55W HID's at 6000K.

Hope this helps as I have tried to explain all aspects of the lamp.

redsin
27-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks v much Mr Honda. Just placed order thru the link you sent.

Thanks for the description on installation as well.

Cheers