PDA

View Full Version : EK - 'Cat Bell' sound coming from engine bay.

TranceZiggy
22-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Hey guys,

I check my fluid levels/listen to the engine & inspect as much as I can, at least once a week and I just noticed a new noise.

It sounds like a bell that a cat would wear and sort of sounds as if it's in the background, behind the usual engine noise. The sound has a pattern to it, it will do a pattern of 'jingles' then fade out, then fade back in and repeat the pattern.

I can't pinpoint where it's coming from & have no clue what it might be, or if it's even a problem.

Anyone have any insight at all?

Cheers.

manolii
22-06-2012, 06:04 PM
does it stop when u change gear? or does it start when u put your foot on the accelerator, going over bumps, in idle?

akjdfnn
22-06-2012, 06:47 PM
have you run over any cats recently? check around the axle area

TranceZiggy
22-06-2012, 07:14 PM
have you run over any cats recently? check around the axle area

I hope so. +100 points to me if I did ;)

@manolii; I can't hear it while driving, it's really only noticeable while idling in a quiet area (in my driveway with no other noise around)

trism
22-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Check all belt tension, all pulleys for bearing wear, basically any moving parts.

hoaanguyen
23-06-2012, 04:01 PM
does the noise go away when you press on the clutch ?

ECU-MAN
23-06-2012, 06:02 PM
have you recently had the timing belt changed ?

sebtoombs
25-06-2012, 12:08 PM
I'd guess a dieing bearing. As hoaanguyen said, try just lightly putting pressure on the clutch, it could be the clutch throwout bearing. If its not, its a bit harder to determine, and like everyone else said, check all moving parts, belt pulleys, and hope.