PDA

View Full Version : mini me conversion

civic_ek
08-03-2005, 02:54 PM
i just been told about the mini me conversion... i heard it alot but someone told me its as simple as changing the head, manifold and ecu.... is this true??? is this all that i need to change?? i have a d16y4 and the mini me will make it a d16y8 vtec... will i have any problems with the bottom end of my motor..? i plain to put a vtec controller on and lower the vtec rev range... so i dont have to rev it as hard... and also plain on port and polish the head and make it abit stronger b4 i do teh conversion...also if i convert it will teh compression be an issue??? if anyone can give me solid info about this conversion it would be great..i heard its big in america.... so any links or info would be nice.. also ur comments and what u think needs to be changed for teh conversion

faijai
08-03-2005, 02:58 PM
In regards to ur vtec controller, aking ur vtec rev in at lower range does not mean ur car will have better performance, if anything higher will have betetr gains. If set lower you also lose torque.

civic_ek
08-03-2005, 03:42 PM
ok.. well can anyone please give me more info on this????

JDM.Power
08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
how much are willin 2 spend on that single cam v-tec engine?..if i was you save up an go for a b16a2 conversion

civic_ek
08-03-2005, 04:11 PM
look all i wanted was advice on the conversion and all everyone wantsto say is do a b16 conversion... my mate just did the conversion and he sad the motor is way over rated...i wanna do the mini me... i dont car about money... i wanna be different... probly change it to a y8 vtec and vtec controller and i would leave it...

VT3C
08-03-2005, 04:30 PM
"your mate" must have bought a dud B16 HAHAHA

I have a mate doin D16Y1 headswap onto his EG GLi this week.

He had the head re-built, and is swapping Intake Manifold, Exhaust manifold, ECU etc, so it should be putting out around 135HP at the fly.

the head was machined so compression will go up a few points, but just swapping the head will bump compression. The Non-VTEC pistons are relatively flat-tops where the SOHC VTEC pistons are notched for valve clearance so this may slightly bump compression also.

The P28 ECU will handle most duties but i've recommended a VAFC to fine-tne and take advantage of the higher compression etc.

if you have any questions, just ask and i'll be happy to pass them on to the guy doin his SOHC VTEC headswap. Will keep you posted as to it's progress.

nedgeworth
08-03-2005, 05:29 PM
there's a bit of work involved but very doable man :) here is a tut on it. I'm not sure you need to do everything they have done there so you might want to look into that.

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32971

JDM.Power
08-03-2005, 05:47 PM
you should buy the zc-g engine DOHC an just turbo it the single cam v-tec..wont last long..you probly gonna get bored cause its no much fun

faijai
08-03-2005, 06:33 PM
you say you wanna be diff?
having a d16 dingle cam vtec isnt really very diff.
to be honest with you, the difference between a single cam with vtec, and a single cam without vtec, isnt that much diff.

MRJDM
08-03-2005, 08:30 PM
civic ek- a mini me upgrade is putting a vtec head on a non vtec bottom end (d-series).

civic_ek
10-03-2005, 02:49 PM
yeah... i wanna be diff in the fact that most ppl just do b16a conversions... i dont wanna go turbo... i just want a lil bit extra power.. thats it.... i know its just swapping the head to vtec... but i was after more info on compression issues... does the vtec use domed pistons..?? because just putting a thicker head gasket on is the cheap and not effective way... i wanna do it right...

KB
12-03-2005, 08:00 PM
My Mate just did A mini-me on hes GLi EG. With a D15B Bottom End and A D16Y1 VTEC head off a VTi. It Runs 11.1:1 Compression, and has more power than my stock D16y8.

SOHC VTEC POWA YO!

Do It Man! Then do a nice intake, header and exhaust. And you wont regret it.

egSi
13-03-2005, 04:58 PM
mini me is cheaper than a full b16 swap. go for it man, ur on the right track, more reasearch is your friend. keep us posted :thumbsup:

dont hate on the d series JDM.Power, stick to mountain bikes.

egSi
15-03-2005, 12:21 PM
found this:

nedgeworth
15-03-2005, 12:24 PM
found this:

read up further man i already posted this :wave:

egSi
15-03-2005, 01:29 PM
readin is for sissys neal :p

civic_ek
15-03-2005, 03:53 PM
yeah i wanna do this conversion... but ive been told by my mate that the pistons in teh vtec motor aint domed or they have lower compression... and if i put a vtec head on the compression will be to high coz my pistons may be domed upwards.... i wanted to know about this b4 i start doing teh swap... theres no problem with the swap or needing anyone to do it.. my mates who is a merchanic works on his hondas all day longa nd he did one to a diff honda motor... but he also said to check the pistons coz i might end up running to much compression.. i wanted some hard facts on thsi conversion not just pages on how to do it..... thanks

nedgeworth
15-03-2005, 06:52 PM
well if u want hard facts man sign up on that site and talk to the fella that did the writeup so he can give you more info :)