PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Rack Repair

Newgas
24-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I had a whirring sound while driving, the Euro was due for service, so I took it in and was advised that the noise is coming from the power steering pump and the power steering rack is leaking and requires replacement.

I was quoted $2300 for the repair. Does this sound right?

I have a 2005 Euro and only has 66k on the clock. I have had the power steering hose recall done.

The dealership tried to get Honda to compensate the repair bill, but they advised that the car is too old.

What's your thoughts on this?

Is this a repair I better get done sooner rather than later?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

integraR
24-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Hi,

I had a whirring sound while driving, the Euro was due for service, so I took it in and was advised that the noise is coming from the power steering pump and the power steering rack is leaking and requires replacement.

I was quoted $2300 for the repair. Does this sound right?

I have a 2005 Euro and only has 66k on the clock. I have had the power steering hose recall done.

The dealership tried to get Honda to compensate the repair bill, but they advised that the car is too old.

What's your thoughts on this?

Is this a repair I better get done sooner rather than later?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2300 is expensive for that sort of repair

I would get a second opinion (another mechanic/quote) before I would commit to fixing the problem at the dealership

also provide more info as how long has this been happening?

grifty
24-06-2012, 09:49 PM
im sure you cloud pickup a 2nd hand rack for a maximum of what $300?

but after 66k im suprised it is leaking? thats rather odd.......

Newgas
28-06-2012, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the replies...

The pump whirring sound only started before the service. I assuming during the service they topped up the power steering fluid so the pump is not noisy at the moment.

I have noticed little drip stains on my garage floor.

I have also noticed a bit of shuddering through the pedals when braking, but not all the time, I'm thinking its related.

Will definitely get a second opinion.