PDA

View Full Version : 275,000Km Oil change

Irish R
27-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Well i picked up this http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/2233/oilpic.jpg

Just having a bit of doubt about it been to heavy on the engine.
I have no idea what has been going in to it and this is the first change i will do on it and i have never had a car with this high Kms.
Would prefer to stick to a 10w40 and it is hard to know if it burns much oil as i haven't had it long enough and it has the O ring leak which i can't wait to fix :p.
I do mostly highway K's daily and it does get full useage of the rev range so would a 20w50 be a good allrounder and not inhibit performance plus obviously protect the engine which is all that is seems to say it does.
Any other opinions on grades/brands?

grifty
27-06-2012, 09:06 AM
use it and see how much oil it burns if it does during the next oil change, 20w-50 should be good imo

chilli
28-06-2012, 04:19 PM
I would suggest at least 20w - 50 or thicker (20-60). Nothing wrong with thick oil especially with worn engines =)

wastingtime
29-06-2012, 03:46 AM
Pretty thick, why don't you just monitor your oil loss rate with the thinner oil? should be fine either way though.

I know on the us forums most people use 10-40w in pretty high mile preludes, also h22a's eat oil anyway so don't think it's just leaks.

EKVTIR-T
29-06-2012, 03:53 AM
Yeah agree with wastingtime above,use a 40w and see how you go.
Hondas have tight tolerances so even at higher kms theyre not the same as some old commodore or falcon engine that needs honey thick oil @ high kms

wastingtime
29-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah agree with wastingtime above,use a 40w and see how you go.
Hondas have tight tolerances so even at higher kms theyre not the same as some old commodore or falcon engine that needs honey thick oil @ high kms

I agree completely with you, high revving, high compression engines...not truck engines lol.

Irish R
30-06-2012, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the input guys,i went back with that stuff and got some Castrol Edge 5W30,complete change around of plans and decided to give the O ring on the oil cooler a go as that was causing the leaking and it was a fail,long story short,pain in the ass job,gave it a huge go,thought i succeeded and started it up at the end only to loose all the oil on to the garage floor :X,O ring must have moved.
Anyone recommend an experienced mobile mechanic out the Goldcoast way that may have experience of doing this job?
I've had enough at this stage.
Has to be the worse job i have ever taken on any of my cars,drove me crazy today for near 4 hours and the car is still on the ramps plus the waste of good oil,i'm fuming :(.....

wastingtime
01-07-2012, 04:52 PM
that sucks! I haven't done the job on a honda but its usually not a bad job, try find a diy guide and once you get it right you will realize its not too bad. I still recommend 10W-40, I don't even use 5W-30 in my 150k prelude with no oil leaks and it still burns a bit. Be fine for a while but you will most likely burn through it, just look at it every couple days for a couple weeks to make sure you don't drive with no oil in it lol.

Irish R
02-07-2012, 01:11 AM
I got it sorted today,only took me 25 mins from start to finish and i used my second O ring which was wise to buy the 2!
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9320/dashandbikesmall.jpg
The one on the right is the ring i replaced on Friday and it obviously came down before contact on the block and has been sliced which caused the oil outburst.
The right was the previous one in,looks like a lot of gasket glue? was used...
I used an adhesive in very small dots around the ring which held it in place and worked a treat for repositioning.
Car is responding good to the 5w30 too and has been a bit more responsive on lower revs were it was holding back.
Vtec in the rearview seemed a little less smokey too.

wastingtime
04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
good to hear dude! diy jobs pay off in so many ways.

I knew 5-30 would be much more responsive, the motors designed for thinner oil even though clearances would be larger after 275k.

I used 20-50w in my celicas camry engine and the thing hated it but I was forced to not wanting to change seals, was way too thick and that is an engine that can pretty much run off nothing lol.