PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problem? Need Help!

jpp
27-06-2012, 08:10 PM
car is a 03 accord euro AUTO
hey, a few days ago my car started to have a squeaking noise, I noticed my battery light on dash has lit up, & I found out that the drive belt tensioner is worn (shaky) but I kept driving it the following day as I had work & suddenly the car stalls. So I got it jump started but the same thing would happen. I also swapped the batter from my other car just so I can start it up to get it home (swapped the battery back into other car & it's dead). Well after I changed the tensioner (I figured there might be too much slack on the belt due to tensioner hence not charging) it wouldd still do the same I'm 99% sure it's the alternator that has died but I'd love to get a confirmation to see if this has ever happened to anyone else before I start throwing money away on things that don't require changing

SLOBRO
27-06-2012, 08:19 PM
do you have a Multimeter??

jpp
27-06-2012, 09:34 PM

unfortunately I don't. Is there any other way?

SLOBRO
28-06-2012, 08:47 PM
if your battery light comes on then must be the alternator not charging enough just go to a mechanic and ask to test your alternator only takes 2 mins

ericl33
28-06-2012, 09:03 PM
no point asking on a forum if you don't have tools to test.

Jasemas
29-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Go down to repco/supercheap
And get the cheapest multimeter there is
It'll only cost you about $20
http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.com/car-audio-and-video/accessories-and-installation/how-to-use-a-multimeter.html
Hope this helps

jpp
30-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply, replaced alternator. no problems