PDA

View Full Version : What to look out for when buying a CL9?

DVS-00R
28-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Hey all,

I'm thinking of buying a CL9 and was wondering what to look out for when going for an inspection?

There are a few threads but they are old and thought now that it's 2012 more people would've experienced more common problems.

ChaosMaster
28-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Facelifted models have a lot less problems than the pre-facelift. Also has better gear.

dirlok
28-06-2012, 11:36 AM
As Chaos said. Prefacelift have orange coloured speedo/tacho leds. The Postfacelift are blue (correct me if I'm wrong people). Postface have a larger diameter front grille.

A major thing to look out for is the driveshaft/shake issue. Take the car for a drive up to about 80-90km. See if you get a shake under acceleration at this speed. If you do, you'll be up for about $1000+ to get the driveshafts done.

alex804
28-06-2012, 12:53 PM
As dirlok mentioned, check the driveshaft issue. if you would like to get bodykit, you maybe easier to find prefacelift kits than that of facelift. Other thing maybe checking any rusting on roof, underneath of the car, etc. Others you may just hire company to do pre buying report if you are not too familiar with inspection.

Black Euro
28-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Get like your road side assistance company to check it out (NRMA I think that's what it’s called in NSW)
I got mine checked out by our equivalence in South Australia. Cost me around 300 bucks.
But it’s worth the peace of mind. And as the other said, check out for the drive shaft issues.

Good Luck

DVS-00R
28-06-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

When you mention the preface/ postface lift does that end with the 06's and start with the 07's? If not when does it start/ end?

Lol still learning, thanks!

alex804
28-06-2012, 04:32 PM
03-05= preface lift
06-08 = face lift
06-08 got white+ blue dash while 03-05 got orange coloured speedo/tacho leds.
Front bar is different too

HunterZero
28-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Facelift is called the "MY06" update. Facelifted versions started being built in 2006, so there are 2006 cars both pre and post facelift. Not sure what month was the cutover.

Full service history
No major accident repair (or no accident history at all if you are fussy)
Check door lock actuators work fine
Check transmission shifts smoothly and the car is free from whines and shudders
Check that the power steering hose recall has been done (the power steering hose will have a black sleeve over it, and I think they put a sticker in the door jamb)
Check the power steering is smooth and doesn't make noises
Check that all the rear lights mounted on the bootlid work on pre-facelift models (the bootlid wiring harness can break)
Check tires for tread wear

- HZ

DVS-00R
28-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Oh I see :)

I think this is how it goes....

1. Standard has cloth interior and 16" wheels
2. Luxury has leather, sunroof and 17" wheels
3. Tourer has cloth interior and 16" wheels (same as standard one?)
4. Limited Edition has cloth and 17" wheels

All have same engine, drivetrain etc and differences between all the models are purely cosmetic and wheel size?

EDIT: Instead of me asking questions, does anyone have a link handy that shows all the differences between each model? It would be greatly appreciated!

UR34DY
29-06-2012, 09:22 PM
thats pretty much the difference is looks and wheel size, just type the model your looking for in google and it should show up, and whats your budget on a euro?

DVS-00R
29-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Whatever I get for my Evo will be spent on the Euro. Trying to research and learn the differences before getting one.

Nuggety Nugget
29-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Select the models you want to compare on redbook.com.au and select "highlight differences".

antony
30-06-2012, 07:36 AM
Good luck,Euros are awesome,I am sure you will love one when you finally get one...

aiutn
02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
check the airconditioner works and compressor isnt making strange noises..

HunterZero
02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Oh I see :)
I think this is how it goes....
1. Standard has cloth interior and 16" wheels
2. Luxury has leather, sunroof and 17" wheels
3. Tourer has cloth interior and 16" wheels (same as standard one?)
4. Limited Edition has cloth and 17" wheels

All have same engine, drivetrain etc and differences between all the models are purely cosmetic and wheel size?

EDIT: Instead of me asking questions, does anyone have a link handy that shows all the differences between each model? It would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, all versions have the same 2.4L 140kW engine and same drivetrain, dual zone climate control, 6 disc in-dash stacker (no MP3, no AUX), 6 airbags, cruise control.

Standard version has cloth seats, 16" alloys (earlier have nice looking 5 spokes, MY06 facelift have uglier 7 spokes)

Compared to standard version...

Sport version (limited edition) gains:
Partial leather seats
Fog lights
Body kit front/rear/skirts (but no wing, that was optional)
Aluminium shift knob
Sport pedals
Red dash lighting
17" alloys (10 spoke, same as Euro R)

Touring version (limited edition) gains:
Satnav
Parking Sensors
Fog Lights

Lux version gains:
17" alloys + Bridgestone RE040 OEM tires (although the earliest luxes had 16", later cars had 10 spoke from Euro R (2005) or 9 spoke (MY06 onwards), both look great)
Leather powered seats with seat heaters
Fog lights
Powered sun roof
Extra side airbags (total 8)
Rain sensing wipers

MY06 upgrade has:
* MY06 Faceflited styling including different grille/bumpers/fog lights, removal of bonnet chrome trim, new alloy wheels
* Updated trip computer/illuminated steering wheel
* Auto dimming rear view mirror (lux)
* Black leather available for black cars, earlier ones had beige only

Satnav and rear parking assist available as an optional extra on all cars (except the tourer which included it as factory option).

Later cars (definitely the lux) come with full size 5th alloy spare, not sure about the standard Euro or earlier Lux ones... I have an idea they may have had a steel wheel or space saver spare, check the spare in the boot...

- HZ

UR34DY
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
if you want you can buy my euro =] 07 lux nav, silver and auto

ExpressCoffee
05-07-2012, 08:50 PM
This is a great thread! Some useful info here.

I unfortunately just wrote off my Teg and I'm looking to go for a Euro. Always loved em, and they seem like pretty good cars. It'd be nice to know what I should look out for in them. :)

HunterZero
09-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Oh another thing to look out for is condensation in the headlights of earlier pre-MY06 models.

MY06 Euros had updated headlight units with a blue tinge to the plastic parker lights.

- HZ