PDA

View Full Version : Rim Size

kristrifo
01-07-2012, 12:48 PM
Ok heres a quick background of the story...

Last night the cops were doing a chronic beatdown on cars with any sort of modification

I got pulled over and was told to follow the cop, the eventually led me to the RTA on West Botany St in Rockdale.

Never seen anything like this before, epic setup for defecting, not to mention the dozens of undercovers parked up inside

Now what happened was, I got defected for my rims being too large. I've only got 18 inch rims. I got an 03 model lux cl9, so its apparently illegal to have rims 2 inches bigger than stock and you need an engineer's certificate for it. Now the thing is, the 04 cl9 lux came with 17 inch rims....so my question is, easily signed off by honda without the need for certificates and all that bs?

edit:
is it possible to get a letter signed by honda(or any registered engineer) to keep in my car saying that 18inch rims are fine...without them asking a couple of hundred $$? (yes im a tightass)

jono_l
01-07-2012, 01:19 PM
It appears that Honda put through a different RVD1 doc put through for MY05 (i.e. late 04) Euro as compared to the original MY03 Euro.

The MY03 RVD only has 16" rims listed, whilst MY05 RVD has the 16s and 17s listed.

MY03: http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/30373_528614_RVD_29Apr2003103116.cmd
MY05: http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/30373_597062_RVD_16Sep2004154723.cmd

From my understanding, this means that officially, the largest wheel on a MY03 Euro chassis was 16" wheels, which means that your 18" is two inches larger than biggest stock (complianced) size. If you had a MY05 chassis, then the largest wheel offered stock (complianced) was the 17".

Not sure if you can argue the fact that the two chassis have minimal (if any) differences. My understanding is that officially, these are complianced as two different chassis, as the MY05 RVD1 doc is submitted separately from MY03, rather than as a correction.

I CU2
01-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Now the thing is, the 04 cl9 lux came with 17 inch rims....so my question is, easily signed off by honda without the need for certificates and all that bs?

Nope, you'll still need an Engineering certificate (Make friends with an Engineer?). It's based on the car you own regardless of other variants. What were the original sized wheels on your car?

It's a bit silly, a base Aurion has 16" wheels meaning you can go up to 18" in size. A TRD Aurion has 19" wheels meaning you can go to 21"s...

DVS-00R
01-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Is there not a tyre placard in the door or something?

Also can't you just put the stock rims back on to pass then when it's all clear put the 18's back on.

kristrifo
01-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Ive had my rims for a good 3yrs now, weren't cheap... sold the stocks a long time ago (rims were a bday present)

They told me the law is you can only go one inch lower or higher than what the tyre placard says. As youve probably figured out, it says 16inches

I told him I thought it was legal to go up by 2 inches and he told me only if its its cleared by an engineer

As jono said, the newer models of the cl9 came out with 17 inch rims so therefore 18 inch rims would be no problem

I know its easily cleared... I just want to have a letter (or whatever) saying that its fine for the future (just in case)

Ok fine if I had 20inch Dolce's on my car I'd wear it because youre asking for trouble....but my car is far from anything like that

Fredoops
01-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I live in VIC but has an interstate plate.

Just in case.

white_ep3_civic
02-07-2012, 06:37 AM
Ive had my rims for a good 3yrs now, weren't cheap... sold the stocks a long time ago (rims were a bday present)

They told me the law is you can only go one inch lower or higher than what the tyre placard says. As youve probably figured out, it says 16inches

I told him I thought it was legal to go up by 2 inches and he told me only if its its cleared by an engineer

As jono said, the newer models of the cl9 came out with 17 inch rims so therefore 18 inch rims would be no problem

the new models may have come out with 17" from factory but they go off what your car came out with not what other euro's did. Stupid because they are the same car but that the way it is.

androo
02-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I believe the law is not how much bigger your rims are, but the actual rolling diameter. From the RTA:

"Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
and tyre combination specified for the vehicle." pulled from - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

Any chance you're running really low profile tires? Not sure what the original profile is so not sure if it's possible to be within this range though. Hope this information helps though.

curtis265
02-07-2012, 05:49 PM
borrow someone's stockes. Easy.

DVS-00R
02-07-2012, 06:10 PM
I believe the law is not how much bigger your rims are, but the actual rolling diameter. From the RTA:

"Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter
wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel
and tyre combination specified for the vehicle." pulled from - http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi09_rev4.pdf

Any chance you're running really low profile tires? Not sure what the original profile is so not sure if it's possible to be within this range though. Hope this information helps though.
Interesting... good find!

kristrifo
02-07-2012, 06:27 PM

cheers for that!

the specs of my tyres are: 225/40zr18 92W

TRaNz
02-07-2012, 06:35 PM
what width are your rims? going from 16" to 18" should be legal as its only 2 inches and yeah the tires you got meet the load rating and profile is right for 18s.
Maybe your width is greater than 7.5"?

kristrifo
02-07-2012, 06:40 PM
what width are your rims? going from 16" to 18" should be legal as its only 2 inches and yeah the tires you got meet the load rating and profile is right for 18s.
Maybe your width is greater than 7.5"?

rims are 7.5" dude

the guys were sooooo arrogant its not funny

he goes oh your rims are too big, youre not allowed to have 19s

after i told him hes blind and to double check that ive got 18s he said oh it still doesnt matter because you need an engineer's cert for 2 inches larger

frustration = epic

TRaNz
02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
daffaaaa, they're 18s and 7.5 wide with tires that meet load rating and correct profile......dafuqqq, copper sounds like he was just being a prick. Im pre sure your wheels meet vehicle requirements man. faaaaa.... =[

kristrifo
02-07-2012, 11:30 PM
daffaaaa, they're 18s and 7.5 wide with tires that meet load rating and correct profile......dafuqqq, copper sounds like he was just being a prick. Im pre sure your wheels meet vehicle requirements man. faaaaa.... =[

now you understand my frustration haha

as i said, its not like i got my car sacked on 22 inch dolces or something

now i gotta spend money on getting a blue slip, plus going through the hassels of clearing it, not to mention the fine itself...PLUS i got defected for my ride height... my resonators were sagging a bit and it hit when they used the roller, pretty sure the law states that the chassis should be over 100mm from the ground? mine cleared it easyyyy and i still got done

but what really raised my blood pressure was when they asked me about the km's my car has on it...i told him i have 83k and he didnt believe me and insisted to check the dash himself because the kms (in his opinion) were way too low for the age of the car....it seems that taking care of a car these days has almost become a crime

*sigh*

longers
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM
^ why the feck does it matter how many km's you've done?

think you just got unlucky with the cop. end of the month, trying to meet his quotas maybe.

bad luck dude, hope your shit works out.

androo
03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
now you understand my frustration haha

as i said, its not like i got my car sacked on 22 inch dolces or something

now i gotta spend money on getting a blue slip, plus going through the hassels of clearing it, not to mention the fine itself...PLUS i got defected for my ride height... my resonators were sagging a bit and it hit when they used the roller, pretty sure the law states that the chassis should be over 100mm from the ground? mine cleared it easyyyy and i still got done

but what really raised my blood pressure was when they asked me about the km's my car has on it...i told him i have 83k and he didnt believe me and insisted to check the dash himself because the kms (in his opinion) were way too low for the age of the car....it seems that taking care of a car these days has almost become a crime

*sigh*

The roller is of 100mm diameter. If it hits anything, you are not in the clear. Unfortunately, the coppers will measure whatever is lowest on your car. Even if this is your mud flaps, they will smack you with this. They technically got you there.

That said, you got a copper who just wanted to be an ass. When this happened to me in an R34 GT-T, the guy was much more professional at bending me over (and didn't miss ANYTHING, such a good screw over). Left me sore the next day, wondering why he wasn't calling.

DVS-00R
03-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes if they really want to get you they will. My last defect notice had 2 Police cars (they called for back up), was sitting on the footpath for over an hour while they searched my car from top to bottom then received 10 defects on the notice. All this arose from driving home one night doing the speed limit, apparently that is a crime these days.

Ando.L
05-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Yes if they really want to get you they will. My last defect notice had 2 Police cars (they called for back up), was sitting on the footpath for over an hour while they searched my car from top to bottom then received 10 defects on the notice. All this arose from driving home one night doing the speed limit, apparently that is a crime these days.

Damn i feel for you.. Lol at how they needed backup the first cop prob didnt know what he/she was doing so needed a second opinion lol