PDA

View Full Version : VIC Buying a car in VIC but registered in QLD

viett
04-07-2012, 05:42 PM
What needs to be done in order to transfer that car and rego it in VIC?

Winter
04-07-2012, 05:47 PM
proof of sale from previous owner to new owner (you)

roadworthy certificate from vic

then inspection from vicroads (to confirm identity of car)

pay for new rego and vic plates

Johnie
04-07-2012, 11:43 PM
proof of sale from previous owner to new owner (you)

roadworthy certificate from vic

then inspection from vicroads (to confirm identity of car)

pay for new rego and vic plates

Then cancel the qld plates to claim a refund
and instend of proof of transfer use the vicroads transfer papers + take a receipt too incase

viett
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
thanks for the help, but with the inspection what would they be inspecting? just the VIN or everything?

IV73CI
05-07-2012, 05:45 PM
thanks for the help, but with the inspection what would they be inspecting? just the VIN or everything?

The inspection will be an equivalent to a nsw blue slip.

So engine number, vin chassis, environmental fittings etc, tyres, lights , tints will be checked.

So if u have heavy mods then have the engineers report ready.

Wru
12-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Be careful if buying any car from Queensland that's been modded, specifically like IV731CI said heavily modded cars will need to pass engineering, these are pretty thorough and strict checks.

Specifically in regards to cars that have had engine swaps if you can't find a really relaxed engineer it has to pass sound tests sometimes they might require it pass a smog test, might require some stock items to get pass the inspection etc.

In my honest opinion I'd say straight up don't do it.

IV73CI
12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
As above.

Also to add if not already mentioned

Engineers report from other states to vic are not recognised in vic.

So this mean u will have to obtain another engineers cert in vic due to different road laws legislations or requirements.

Chernoby1
13-07-2012, 02:52 PM
The inspection will be an equivalent to a nsw blue slip.
So engine number, vin chassis, environmental fittings etc, tyres, lights , tints will be checked.

Not true, vin/chassis/Engine numbers are checked but thats about it. Hell ive even go cars through where it was difficult to see the engine number, bu what it was previously registered with and what i wanted to register it with was the same so they took my word for it lol. Other times theyve gone and got a wiggle camera thing.
All of the safety/regulatory crap is checked during roadworthy.

Practially, just treat it the same as regerstering any current unregistered car.

namtaro
13-07-2012, 02:53 PM
dunno about inspection... just call up vicroads and say you want to register car in vic... they will ask you for the vin number and engine number... if everything matches up then all you need is to bring in the plates, rwc from vic and proof of purchase

i dont know if it works like the nsw to vic plates... but when i registered my nsw car (done this year in march), i didnt need the car inspected by vicroads coz my vin number and engine number matched up and nothing looked out of order... not sure about qld to vic...

hope that helps