PDA

View Full Version : WRC Discussion thread

LUD02C
09-03-2005, 08:49 AM
Apprenticeship over for Atkinson
By Chris Lines
March 7, 2005

CHRIS Atkinson's one-race apprenticeship in the World Rally Championship is over, but he is not feeling pressure ahead of the biggest race of his career in this weekend's third round.

Atkinson debuted at the Rally of Sweden last month, impressing observers with his speed in the unfamiliar ice and snow.

But this weekend's Rally of Mexico raises the expectation level several notches, with Subaru expecting Atkinson to be more at home on gravel and the Queenslander carrying the responsibility of his performance counting towards the team's championship points for the first time.

Atkinson and young French team-mate Stephane Sarrazin were hired as `project' drivers this season, with Subaru's focus on getting Petter Solberg to win the drivers' title.

"Sweden was totally treated as a learning experience by the team, where this is a little different," Atkinson said from Mexico.

"But if you start worrying about points scoring, then you might lose focus."

"Obviously the team would like a points finish, but that really isn't a pressure situation for me and I'll approach it the same way I approached Sweden.

"It won't be easy – your top guys are here and they have all been here before.

"It's a big challenge now – we have a lot more experience than we had before Sweden and a gravel event will help us.

"If we keep our nose clean we can come through with a decent points finish."

The Mexican rally, first held last year, is staged in the mountains surrounding the city of Leon, with the surface typically light gravel and stones on a firm sand base.

Atkinson believes the surface will suit his driving style, able to call upon his Australian experience.

"Australia has a huge variety of surfaces – I definitely think there will be somewhere in Australia similar to here," Atkinson said.

"Although it can help a bit, everyone has a huge amount of experience – more experience than me – so we are still coming from behind."

As the new boy in Sweden and the first Australian to get a permanent drive in WRC, Atkinson was a specimen of curiosity.

After just one event, however, he already feels more at ease.

He spoke to the media today from a bowling alley, where he had just enjoyed knocking off Solberg.

"We know where we sit a little bit better than we did before Sweden, bowling with Stephane and Petter and having a good time," Atkinson said. "I feel comfortable before this event, I definitely fell a lot more relaxed but still focused on what I have to do."

AAP

New Skoda and Subaru at rally Mexico!
Atkinson should finish in top 8

Vivski
09-03-2005, 11:40 AM
The test for him will be consistency. He'll have a crack. I'm backing him for points. But he'll be taking some risks and finding the limits, so anything could happen. Will be fun to watch though.

LUD02C
12-03-2005, 02:48 PM
How good is Atkinson?

Aussie rookie revs into top three
From correspondents in Mexico City
March 12, 2005

NORWAY'S Petter Solberg seized the early lead in the Rally of Mexico overnight as Subaru's new car made a promising world championship debut.

The 2003 champion, chasing a back-to-back victory after winning in Sweden last month, was 2.2 seconds quicker than world champion Sebastien Loeb over the opening 22.55 km stage from Ibarrilla to El Zauco.

Australian Chris Atkinson, competing for the first time as a nominated Subaru driver, was running a strong third overall, 5.5 seconds adrift of Solberg and comfortably quicker than more experienced rivals.

Belgian Francois Duval, Loeb's Citroen team mate, was in fourth, ahead of Peugeot's two times world champion Marcus Gronholm. The Finn was slowed by a brake problem on the loose gravel stage.

Ford's Toni Gardemeister, the championship leader after two rounds, was suffering from 'flu and languishing in 13th place after starting first as the morning "road sweeper".

Gardemeister leads the standings with 14 points, one clear of Peugeot's Estonian Markko Martin and three ahead of Loeb and Solberg. Ford are three points clear of Peugeot in the manufacturers' standings.

Leading first stage times: 1. Petter Solberg (Nor) Subaru 13 minutes 25.4 seconds
2. Sebastien Loeb (Fra) Citroen 2.2 seconds behind
3. Chris Atkinson (Aus) Subaru 5.5
4. Francois Duval (Bel) Citroen 6.2
5. Marcus Gronholm (Fin) Peugeot 7.1
6. Jani Paasonen (Fin) Skoda 7.9
7. Roman Kresta (Cze) Ford 8.8
8. Markko Martin (Est) Peugeot 11.8
9. Harri Rovanpera (Fin) Mitsubishi 13.1
10.Antony Warmbold (Ger) Ford 13.8

-------------------------------------------------------

Atkinson fifth in Mexico rally
From correspondents in Leon, Mexico
March 12, 2005

AUSTRALIAN driver Chris Atkinson has completed his first world championship event as a nominated Subaru factory entrant in fifth place on the first day of the Mexico Rally in Leon.

Norway's 2003 world champion Petter Solberg, also in a Subaru, finished in first place ahead of Peugeot 307 drivers Marcus Gronholm and Markko Martin in second and third respectively.

Reigning champion Sebastien Loeb of France was some way off the pace in the third stop on the World Rally Championship calendar after Monaco and Sweden.

Loeb's Citroen team meanwhile were hit by a $US10,000 ($12,642) fine after having to make an engine change due to damage sustained on the drive to the rally start.

"It's the fairest decision that could have been taken," said Citroen Sport director Guy Frequelin. A similar fine was slapped on the Skoda team of Jani Paasonen after he too hit a rock yesterday.

Agence France-Presse