PDA

View Full Version : Which Euro to Buy?

ExpressCoffee
08-07-2012, 08:21 PM
Hey all,

I am in the market for a CL9 Accord Euro. Coming from a DC2, which I loved, I have always had a thing for the Euro's. I have decided that I want a manual Lux model one but was having a hard time deciding which year I wanted to go for. As far as I can see they change from 2006 up. Is it better to get a 03-05 one, or an 06+ one?

I searched the threads but couldn't find any proper answer I was looking for.

The obvious answer would be the newer one but are there any pros and cons because they do have quite a price difference.

As for the budget, I Have about 10k ready to use and I'm willing to get a loan for the rest. Which Euro seems like a good choice? Mods wise as well. Is there the same aftermarket parts for 06+ as there is for 03-05?

I was checking this one out on carsales.. what do you think?

2006 Lux Accord Euro (http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/honda-accord-euro-2006-12931392?base=1216&vertical=Car&eapi=2&Page=2&sort=~Price&cr=25&num=15&__N=1246%201247%201252%201282%204294965322%2042949 65100%20903%201622%201247%201282%201252%201246%201 216&silo=Stock&Range=Price:Min,20000)

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Ando.L
08-07-2012, 09:42 PM
06 looks better IMO the exterior and interior (mainly cluster) thats why I decided on the 06 model XD

As far as engine mods you'll be fine as they have the same engine. As you already would have noticed the exterior is different so lips/bodykits etc wouldnt share the same aftermarket parts.

Hope that helps a bit.

kristrifo
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
depends on your taste dude lol

each to their own, but i prefer the pre-facelift models, 03/04 models

but i do concede that the interior of the 06 cl9 has a better looking centre console

I CU2
08-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Post-facelift luxury with the stock 17" rims- matches the CL9 beautifully.

ExpressCoffee
08-07-2012, 10:25 PM
06 looks better IMO the exterior and interior (mainly cluster) thats why I decided on the 06 model XD

As far as engine mods you'll be fine as they have the same engine. As you already would have noticed the exterior is different so lips/bodykits etc wouldnt share the same aftermarket parts.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks man, yeah I thought that too. How much did you get yours for?

Post-facelift luxury with the stock 17" rims- matches the CL9 beautifully.

Which rims are these? The ones in my link or a different one?

Nuggety Nugget
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
I think the 06+ looks better. The trip computer is also a big plus, I love the trip duration feature. I read in another thread that the 03-05 don't have illuminated steering wheel buttons either (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd say that would be a bit of a problem on long dark drives.

I CU2
08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Which rims are these? The ones in my link or a different one?

The one you linked is a CL9 with the upgraded Modulo kit. This is stock - slim rims to suit a slim body:

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/120610/920r1/4459e4k_20.jpeg

Ando.L
08-07-2012, 10:38 PM
I got mine for $15k

ExpressCoffee
08-07-2012, 11:04 PM
I think the 06+ looks better. The trip computer is also a big plus, I love the trip duration feature. I read in another thread that the 03-05 don't have illuminated steering wheel buttons either (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd say that would be a bit of a problem on long dark drives.
Ahh cheers, yeah I do like the 06+ and the bigger wheels on them. I'm keen to try the trip computer.

I got mine for $15k

How many k's? That's what I'm trying to get this one down near!

Any common problems found in the Euro? I know about the driveshaft issue. Is that present in 06+ models?

The one you linked is a CL9 with the upgraded Modulo kit. This is stock - slim rims to suit a slim body:

http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/blnc/120610/920r1/4459e4k_20.jpeg

I really like that modulo kit, how much do they cost to put on one that wasn't fitted with it?

-[NoS]-
08-07-2012, 11:12 PM
06+ with modulo kit FTW!!! :D

i want them shadow chrome wheels!!! anyone wanna swap??? i got the lux set :D

ExpressCoffee
08-07-2012, 11:22 PM
-;3485231']06+ with modulo kit FTW!!! :D

i want them shadow chrome wheels!!! anyone wanna swap??? i got the lux set :D

What are shadow chrome wheels?

Ando.L
08-07-2012, 11:23 PM
It had 60K on it. I was really lucky to found it and pick it up. Gl with yours.

Not to sure about the driveshaft issue with 06+ models (someone else might like to contribute)
I havnt had any problems with mine everythings perfect. Although there was a recall for a problem with the power steering hose but mine was already sorted before i purchased it. The seller should have paper work to show you that they have had theirs checked and cleared.

Other then that i cant fault it.

ExpressCoffee
08-07-2012, 11:32 PM
It had 60K on it. I was really lucky to found it and pick it up. Gl with yours.

Not to sure about the driveshaft issue with 06+ models (someone else might like to contribute)
I havnt had any problems with mine everythings perfect. Although there was a recall for a problem with the power steering hose but mine was already sorted before i purchased it.

Other then that i cant fault it.

Whaaaat!? That's an excellent price and such low mileage! This one is almost double! It's still decent though for the age..

Nuggety Nugget
09-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Ahh cheers, yeah I do like the 06+ and the bigger wheels on them. I'm keen to try the trip computer.

Those times you've wondered "how long have I been driving?" or "how long did this drive take?" will be behind you my friend. Plus it's fun to try to beat your personal best times getting home from work.

ExpressCoffee
09-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Those times you've wondered "how long have I been driving?" or "how long did this drive take?" will be behind you my friend. Plus it's fun to try to beat your personal best times getting home from work.

haha, man I'm actually really keen on this Accord. A bit too keen actually. Which isn't good because it's a dealer.

Any tips for bargaining at a dealer?

tron07
09-07-2012, 09:24 AM
I would prefer a private seller

ExpressCoffee
09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
I would prefer a private seller

Reasons? I would too I think but I don't know, it depends on how new the car is I think.

alex804
09-07-2012, 11:31 AM
I got mine 04 arctic blue manual lux 90k km on clock for $12k from a private seller a month ago.

Ando.L
09-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Alot of dealers charge way more then private sellers do well from what i have seen anyway. And with private sales i find it easier to negoiate price.

ExpressCoffee
09-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Alot of dealers charge way more then private sellers do well from what i have seen anyway. And with private sales i find it easier to negoiate price.

Looking at the other cars around this one, they are not many to choose from. ThIs price actually seems reasonable given market value. I'm sure I can get it down 1k or so.

alex804
09-07-2012, 05:56 PM
if you can get down another 1k, i can say go for it. But you have to check everything before buying it of course. I think there is another thread discussing about what to check before buying already.

ExpressCoffee
09-07-2012, 06:14 PM
if you can get down another 1k, i can say go for it. But you have to check everything before buying it of course. I think there is another thread discussing about what to check before buying already.

Yeah had a look in that thread before.

Hopefully I can, armed with some dealer techniques. :p

Went to get some loan quotes today, for a 6k loan, I'd be paying a total of ~$6631.. Not too shabby.

HunterZero
11-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Dealers can be a PITA to deal with if there's warranty issues. Not worth the premium to buy from a dealer. Buy private and spend the money you save getting it detailed. Still a lot of car for the money though, and those factory option 5-spoke sport rims are hard to find.

- HZ

ExpressCoffee
11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Dealers can be a PITA to deal with if there's warranty issues. Not worth the premium to buy from a dealer. Buy private and spend the money you save getting it detailed. Still a lot of car for the money though, and those factory option 5-spoke sport rims are hard to find.

- HZ

Well there's no warranty options with private sales anyway. I'm only really considering it because it's actually hard to find a low km 2006 one at the moment at a reasonable price, plus this has the wheels and modulo kit which I really like. Sigh, wish it was a private sale then!

Ando.L
12-07-2012, 12:08 AM
If your not in a rush to buy id say wait and take your time and keep searching. One that has everything your after might pop sooner or later.

P.s Thats how i managed to come across mine

ExpressCoffee
12-07-2012, 11:25 AM
If your not in a rush to buy id say wait and take your time and keep searching. One that has everything your after might pop sooner or later.

P.s Thats how i managed to come across mine

Same words my father just told me to do haha.

I think I may do that, but do you think that 2006 one I linked to is a bad deal or?

Ando.L
12-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Same words my father just told me to do haha.

I think I may do that, but do you think that 2006 one I linked to is a bad deal or?

Well if everything is in A1 condition mechanically etc and you do manage to haggle them down then i would 'consider' it. (me personally)

But i have had a mate who bought one with about 120k kms on it, and the clutch on it was f*^&%# so he had to fork out more money to get a new one. Then again it depends how the owner drives, your one might not have any clutch problems or problems in general.
Its just something to keep in mind because thats the risk he took buying a car with that many kms on it.

ExpressCoffee
12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
Well if everything is in A1 condition mechanically etc and you do manage to haggle them down then i would 'consider' it. (me personally)

But i have had a mate who bought one with about 120k kms on it, and the clutch on it was f*^&%# so he had to fork out more money to get a new one. Then again it depends how the owner drives, your one might not have any clutch problems or problems in general.
Its just something to keep in mind because thats the risk he took buying a car with that many kms on it.

I just saw ther car at the dealer and it was actually pretty impressive. Everything, including engine bay looked to be in great condition, plus the clutch and gears felt smooth. However, I didn't get to drive it that day because of the way it was positioned in the dealer. So visually it looks and feels nice, but only when I drive it I can get a feel for the clutch etc..

There was gutter rash on some wheels and rego expired on the 28th of July but they were willing to negotiate price, 12 months rego and fixing the gutter rash.

How is that high kms? It's around average for a 7 year old car?

kristrifo
12-07-2012, 09:11 PM
I just saw ther car at the dealer and it was actually pretty impressive. Everything, including engine bay looked to be in great condition, plus the clutch and gears felt smooth. However, I didn't get to drive it that day because of the way it was positioned in the dealer. So visually it looks and feels nice, but only when I drive it I can get a feel for the clutch etc..

There was gutter rash on some wheels and rego expired on the 28th of July but they were willing to negotiate price, 12 months rego and fixing the gutter rash.

How is that high kms? It's around average for a 7 year old car?

well i got 80k kms for an 03 model and that car has been babied lol

how many kz does the one youre looking at got?

i consider 12-15k km/yr average for cars, so anything between 100-120k would sound about right?

ExpressCoffee
13-07-2012, 07:38 AM
well i got 80k kms for an 03 model and that car has been babied lol

how many kz does the one youre looking at got?

i consider 12-15k km/yr average for cars, so anything between 100-120k would sound about right?

Damn! Thought average is about 20000 Kim's per year. This one has done 119000

HunterZero
13-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Well there's no warranty options with private sales anyway.

Exactly, but sometimes dealers can be hard to deal with on warranty claims and for the premium you pay to buy from a dealer for what is usually only the bare minimum 3 month/5000km deal, and that doesn't cover what they deem wear and tear, it's usually not worth it. Call the $ you saved your warranty ;)

Still, if it's a nice car and you can get them to knock a couple of grand off it, go for it. They're hard to find as a manual, and even harder to find those rims. If you can find a 2007 model, you might find one with black interior.

I'd say 20,000km/yr is a little on the high side of average, in my experience 12,000-15,000 is more the norm.

Examples with under 100,000 kms will still come up for sale, but they'll probably sell a lot quicker. It seems that cars with over the magic 100,000kms on the odo hang around for sale a bit longer, but you can probably get a very sharp deal on one.

- HZ

kristrifo
13-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Damn! Thought average is about 20000 Kim's per year. This one has done 119000

well 12-15k for city driving

if the bloke lives an hour from the city and is on the hwy all the time, anything up to 30k per year would sound safe

i had a mate buy an ek civic with 280k kms and the thing runs like mint

kristrifo
13-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Exactly, but sometimes dealers can be hard to deal with on warranty claims and for the premium you pay to buy from a dealer for what is usually only the bare minimum 3 month/5000km deal, and that doesn't cover what they deem wear and tear, it's usually not worth it. Call the $ you saved your warranty ;)

Still, if it's a nice car and you can get them to knock a couple of grand off it, go for it. They're hard to find as a manual, and even harder to find those rims. If you can find a 2007 model, you might find one with black interior.

I'd say 20,000km/yr is a little on the high side of average, in my experience 12,000-15,000 is more the norm.

Examples with under 100,000 kms will still come up for sale, but they'll probably sell a lot quicker. It seems that cars with over the magic 100,000kms on the odo hang around for sale a bit longer, but you can probably get a very sharp deal on one.

- HZ

this

id rather buy a second hand car where the owner babied his car and save myself some $$$, rather than a dealer that offers warrently

ExpressCoffee
17-07-2012, 04:29 PM

- HZ

Ah I get you.

The only thing holding me back (besides the money :p) is that I don't know if I should wait for another to go up for sale and risk it or settle for this one. Not that settling us a bad thing, like you said, I know it's quite rare to find a modulo kitted one let alone a manual lux. But 120,000 shouldn't be considered too high I hope.. I saw the log books, everything was serviced at Doncaster Honda up until where it is right now. I am just stuck on what to do here..

ExpressCoffee
09-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Sorry to bring this back up, but what is the difference in a 2005 made MY2006 Lux model and a 2006 made one? Is it basically the old model with exterior changes?

HunterZero
10-08-2012, 11:21 AM
If they are both MY06 spec, they should be the same. Not sure on the exact date manufacturing changed over, someone else may know?

The facelifted Euro Lux has the usual cosmetic changes (bumpers, grille, bonnet, headlights and 9 spoke alloys), plus trip computer update and auto-dimming rear mirror (you can tell because there will be a button under the mirror). It has the updated steering wheel with illumination and white/blue backlit dash lighting.

The last of the pre-MY06 Euro Luxes came with the 10-spoke Euro R 17" wheels instead of the earlier 5 spokes 16" common to both standard and lux spec.

My Lux came with a full alloy 5th wheel as a spare. I think some of the earlier ones may have had a space saver or steel wheel.

- HZ

ExpressCoffee
10-08-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=13143405

That's the one I'm looking at.

It has the yellow dash so it would be the 05 but it says MY2006?

I CU2
10-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Rims are pre-facelift. He might just have purchased it in 2006, some sellers are a bit confused as to the MY.

ExpressCoffee
10-08-2012, 01:01 PM
Rims are pre-facelift. He might just have purchased it in 2006, some sellers are a bit confused as to the MY.

Yeah true..
I like the pre facelift wheels better imo

alex804
10-08-2012, 01:01 PM
It should be a 05 one. see the euro r rim, prelift grill orange dash, etc

kristrifo
10-08-2012, 01:07 PM
its pre-facelift

you can tell by the lights and the dash...the facelift model has a blueish colour instrument cluster

ExpressCoffee
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
So the late 2005 ones were sold as MY2006 but it pretty much just changed the exterior kit but left the interior the same?

kristrifo
10-08-2012, 01:13 PM
youll have to look at the placard and see the build date

it would be an 04 model built in 05 from the looks of it...the 05/06 financial year is when the facelift model came out

ExpressCoffee
10-08-2012, 01:16 PM
youll have to look at the placard and see the build date

it would be an 04 model built in 05 from the looks of it...the 05/06 financial year is when the facelift model came out

I'll go take a look at it soon and find out then.

Still considering getting an 05 because there's no good 06's on the market..

alex804
10-08-2012, 01:52 PM
So the late 2005 ones were sold as MY2006 but it pretty much just changed the exterior kit but left the interior the same?
there was only prelift <=2005 (2005 got euro r rim, other than that should be the same as other 2003-2004 model) or facelift >=2006. there would not be any euro MY2006 just changed the exterior but not the interior. The only exception would be the previous prelift owner change the front bumper to facelift one himself...
but again, your carsales link definitely is the prelift one.

ExpressCoffee
10-08-2012, 04:37 PM
there was only prelift <=2005 (2005 got euro r rim, other than that should be the same as other 2003-2004 model) or facelift >=2006. there would not be any euro MY2006 just changed the exterior but not the interior. The only exception would be the previous prelift owner change the front bumper to facelift one himself...
but again, your carsales link definitely is the prelift one.

Yeah you guys were right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Saw the car today and it looked good from far but it's far from good..

Actually it's not that bad, drives excellent but cosmetically, quite a bit of scrapes, scratches, chips etc. Looks like I'll be giving this one a miss!

I CU2
10-08-2012, 06:04 PM
It's the black paintttttttt.

ExpressCoffee
11-08-2012, 05:29 PM
It's the black paintttttttt.

Haha this is true!

80% of lux manual euros for sale are black though!

simonhaha
13-08-2012, 12:07 PM
hey guys, im also looking for a euro to buy. Is there a certain year of euro's to stay away from or which year i should try and aim for? I have also been looking at that "05 Euro". Would you say its a barain? maybe after it has done the major service at 80,000/

ExpressCoffee
13-08-2012, 07:47 PM
hey guys, im also looking for a euro to buy. Is there a certain year of euro's to stay away from or which year i should try and aim for? I have also been looking at that "05 Euro". Would you say its a barain? maybe after it has done the major service at 80,000/

If you're looking for an 05 one, you can include the 03 and 04 models cause they are pretty much the same. I think the 2005 one has a full size spare though..

alex804
13-08-2012, 10:48 PM
If you're looking for an 05 one, you can include the 03 and 04 models cause they are pretty much the same. I think the 2005 one has a full size spare though..

05 one got 17' rim & i remember the suspension is a bit diff to 03-04 to suit the 17' rim. But it may not be a concern, at least for me, who will change the suspension setup.

leok
16-08-2012, 01:50 AM
If you want pre face lift, get this Euro R:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/honda-accord-euro-2004-12593150?eapi=2&base=1216&vertical=Car&cr=41&page=4&find=Euro%20R|CarAll&__N=1246+1247+1252+1282+4294965322+4294965100+1216&num=15&silo=Stock&sort=default

The only one for sale in Australia at the moment :P

MR_LATE
16-08-2012, 10:32 PM
25k!!!! wow surprised its still on there

ExpressCoffee
16-08-2012, 10:47 PM
25k!!!! wow surprised its still on there

Been there for a while. I always look at it from time to time. :p

It's pretty high k's so that's probably why it's still on sale. And to most people, they'd just see it as your garden variety Euro, so it's nothing special to them. :/

MR_LATE
16-08-2012, 10:57 PM
yeah, a 22b rex drove past me the other day and i said to my dad that car can go for 26k+ and he was like "WHHY?!?!?! its a subaru"

ExpressCoffee
06-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Hey guys, just checked out an Accord and saw some weird crusty type stuff on the underside of the bonnet. Looks like a salt solution or something was wondering if anyone knew what it was?

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb58/frost_bite333/IMG_2477.jpg

I asked the dealer and they weren't too sure, they said maybe the steam cleaning of the engine bay? Do they ever use a saline type product to remove engine oil?

Also, any tips on how to nego the price lower from a dealer? They're asking 19950 for a 2006 manual lux and that's quite ridiculous, even though it has sat nav :s

kristrifo
06-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Usually its fish oil to prevent the metal rusting...I could be wrong though

tony1234
08-09-2012, 09:45 AM
Hey guys, just checked out an Accord and saw some weird crusty type stuff on the underside of the bonnet. Looks like a salt solution or something was wondering if anyone knew what it was?

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb58/frost_bite333/IMG_2477.jpg

I asked the dealer and they weren't too sure, they said maybe the steam cleaning of the engine bay? Do they ever use a saline type product to remove engine oil?

Also, any tips on how to nego the price lower from a dealer? They're asking 19950 for a 2006 manual lux and that's quite ridiculous, even though it has sat nav :s
It's caused by the chemicals that they use when they degrease the engine bay.

ExpressCoffee
10-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Ahh alright thank you.

Was hoping to get the price down with it somehow... Haha