PDA

View Full Version : How does a Throttle Controller/Booster compared to Header + Cat upgrade

skyichigo
11-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Hey guys

I was reading an old thread regarding a throttle booster/controller to fix the Drive-Wire-Lag on CL9 and most user said it worths and make daily driving in city more fun.

So to compare this to a header+cat upgrade, which really give you more noticeable response on acceleration ?

Thanks

ChaosMaster
11-07-2012, 08:20 AM
One gives a power upgrade, one gives a response. If you're after response, the header+cat won't really do much for you, other than noise. Especially if you're driving in the city.

aaronng
11-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Want response? Get a lightweight flywheel. :)
It'll still be a slight improvement though, it's not going to blow your socks off.

curtis265
11-07-2012, 10:50 AM
completely different things dude!

the throttle controller makes ur car seem faster (responsive), the headers actually make ur car faster.

Nuggety Nugget
12-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Does anyone know where you can buy a Sprinter Booster throttle controller for a CL9?

sodaz
12-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Does anyone know where you can buy a Sprinter Booster throttle controller for a CL9?

Ebay. I got mine from there. Best upgrade ever in terms of butt dyno feel and I have headers already too.

aaronng
12-07-2012, 09:01 AM
All the controller does is give you for example 30% throttle when you press down the pedal by 10%. So you can experience the effect of the throttle controller by pressing the accelerator more without spending money up front.

skyichigo
12-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Cant find one on Ebay for CL9 2005, Guess I will go with Pivot from JDMconcept, price is similar

Nuggety Nugget
12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Ebay. I got mine from there. Best upgrade ever in terms of butt dyno feel and I have headers already too.
They don't have CL9 ones on ebay. I was told that there are no throttle controllers available for CL9s because the drive by wire unit is in the engine bay and there is nowhere to mount the settings controller. Sodaz, did you have an old Sprint Booster that was non adjustable or something?

aaronng
12-07-2012, 05:00 PM
They don't have CL9 ones on ebay. I was told that there are no throttle controllers available for CL9s because the drive by wire unit is in the engine bay and there is nowhere to mount the settings controller. Sodaz, did you have an old Sprint Booster that was non adjustable or something?

Surely you can mount it using cable ties.

skyichigo
12-07-2012, 06:23 PM
What about the Shadow eDrive Advance ? Anybody used them before?

sodaz
12-07-2012, 08:59 PM

Mine is non adjustable and just plugs into the throttle sensor plug.

Nuggety Nugget
13-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Surely you can mount it using cable ties.
Yeah it looks like that's going to be the way to go. I hope you don't have to set it every time you turn on the engine or something, that will be pretty annoying.

Mine is non adjustable and just plugs into the throttle sensor plug.
Thanks for clarifying, I don't think they make those any more.

sodaz
13-07-2012, 08:37 PM
All the controller does is give you for example 30% throttle when you press down the pedal by 10%. So you can experience the effect of the throttle controller by pressing the accelerator more without spending money up front.

I guarantee you can't replicate the effect with just your right foot. I unplugged mine when I was tuning my car and the difference was night and day.

Nuggety Nugget
17-07-2012, 02:20 AM
What about the Shadow eDrive Advance ? Anybody used them before?

I had a look at these. They are the same as the Pivot 3 Drive as far as I know. They require power from the OBD2 port which is located inside the car next to the bonnet release, and the module has to go into the throttle control unit which is in your engine bay. So I don't see how this can be installed without cutting the OBD2 plug wires and hooking them up somewhere else in the engine bay. I think our only hope is to find a Sprint Booster with a CL9 harness.

ChaosMaster
17-07-2012, 11:34 AM
I guarantee you can't replicate the effect with just your right foot. I unplugged mine when I was tuning my car and the difference was night and day.

It depends on you're driving style as well. I believe Mazda's drive by wire are tuned in a similar fashion as well. First few mm of travel give a lot of response, get past half way on the pedal though, and it makes next to no difference. I.e. first 50% of travel will open throttle to 95%, while last 50% can only open the last 5% so basically does nothing at all. Nothing wrong with it, especially if you're a spirited driver normally anyway. Just get used to having nothing when you push the throttle all the way, expecting to overtake someone.

myeuro-05
17-07-2012, 07:19 PM
can anyone recomend a good brand and where to get it from and how much it coast

Razer
19-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I actually have a throttle controller arriving soon, and would like to know about the installation too. I was thinking to actually feed the harness cable through the firewall and have the "control box" and remote inside the cabin. Anyone here done this before? And are the cables long enough? Because I'm not sure if the box is actually waterproof.

myeuro-05
19-07-2012, 10:06 PM
hi does anyone know about the Shadow E-Drive Electronic Throttle Controller ,is it good?

myeuro-05
20-07-2012, 08:40 AM
anyone used Shadow eDrive Advance*throttle controler