PDA

View Full Version : d - b conversions

bladed_yoshii
11-07-2012, 10:56 PM
hey guys another noob question here going from a d16y4 to a b18c2 in an ek1 will i need a mode plate etc for it? and how do you go about registering it to the car?

hoojee
12-07-2012, 09:48 AM
You shouldn't need a mod plate as its only a 200cc increase in displacement. Double check, but pretty sure anything <500cc from original is ok.

IV73CI
12-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Since your in QLD,

As mentioned, u dont need the mod plate due to 1.6 to 1.8l.

Though it would be best to get a mod plate done for the engine mounts, gbox, etc etc. its best to be safe than sorry with the friendlys.

Whats $60 bux for a mod plate vs a copers fine/defect?

U cant trust the system anymore... Always changing constantly

bladed_yoshii
12-07-2012, 10:07 AM
true cheers for the info guys what about registering it to the car? is that done just thru motor reg dept?

IV73CI
12-07-2012, 03:12 PM
If ur going to mod plate it, do that first.

Then RWC, then go to QT to register the car..

bladed_yoshii
14-07-2012, 07:00 PM
have a few more questions but im pretty sure i already know the answers too, when doing the b swap is it possible to use the d series drive shafts? besides engines mounts and ecu what else is needed im pretty sure my ek is obd2 if im not mistaken should i try get an ecu to fit that? will the stock (which im pretty sure its what i have atm) one fit the b series? im new to this whole thing so the more people can help out the better

Kenninho
15-07-2012, 11:45 AM
You will need b-series driveshafts. Think the d-series are little bit too long?

The d-series EK ecu & plug is different. The plugs themselves almost look like the obd1 plugs and there's only 2. You will need to get EK4 loom for direct plug and play. (with a b series obd2 ecu of course) Also with obd2 ecu's you will need to disable the immobiliser. Theres a DIY on this forum by ECU-MAN that shows you how to do. Pretty straight forward steps.

eg5civic
15-07-2012, 12:17 PM
some big misinformation here...

You will need a mod plate for 1.6L -->1.8L as it is over a 10% displacement increase, ie: 10% of 1.6L = .16L total 1.76L max capacity before mod plating.

bladed_yoshii
15-07-2012, 05:04 PM
cool cheers for the info guys :) but is that pretty much all thats needed?

Kenninho
15-07-2012, 06:16 PM
pretty much. do you have the shift linkages? the eg/dc ones feel nicer than the ek ones. But main thing is, disable immo and try and get ek4 engine harness for easement. Unless you are prepared to do some re-wiring. If you need help with immo delete, can shoot me a PM and give you a hand :)

link to the DIY immo delete fyi:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?48704-OBDIIa-DC2R-Immobliser-Removal

Mikecivic78
15-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm not sure what the law is here on engine swaps on QLD, check the dept of transport.

U need engine harness and ECU.

I have an EM1 B16a full dash loom of ur interested

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 05:21 PM
thanks mike not too sure what engine im going as of yet ive found a half cut dc5 for 3k so im thinking about going the k swap not too sure :S is the k swap the same as a B or is there alot more modding involved?

Mikecivic78
17-07-2012, 05:36 PM
thanks mike not too sure what engine im going as of yet ive found a half cut dc5 for 3k so im thinking about going the k swap not too sure :S is the k swap the same as a B or is there alot more modding involved?

$3k for a k20a half cut sounds ridiculously cheap. I'm at a loss to that one. Too good to be true I think

And yes, there will be more modding involved.

B series swap will be cheaper as it's a straighter swap

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 05:39 PM
Yeah its why i was thinking about going for thr k swap instaid but how much more of a hassle is it? Dont think ill go the l swap now :(

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Kswap will definately cost and involves more work than a bswap.

That 3k half cut wont be enough to cater a complete swap into ur car. Tbh the only parts u will need are the complete engine,gbox, shift linkages, dshafts, engine loom and ecu.

Then u will need to buy extra stuff like engine mounts, throttle cable, custom clutch line, new headers/exhaust, custon dc5/b18 dshafts, full service, new radiator or use existing from ur car, new radiator hoses, custom ps/ac lines etc etc.

Kswap generally costs around 9-13k professionally installed. People often mistaken that just coz its a half cut its a easy swap ... Well its not for the begineers.

Bswap is easy backyard job or prof installed for 2-5k running depending on the bseries u go with.

U can do the maths bud :)

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 05:49 PM
yeah the k swap is looking to become more expensive :( so ill prob just stick the b swap :) im still looking for a 18c or a 16b or a 16a which still is gonna cost me roughly 4k :/ which is really kinda pushing my budget sadly

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Yeh kswap is fun but costs alot. (ive got a k24 em1).

Speak to the boys at BYP as far as i knw they still got a b16a package ready to go into any car. Cheap too.

eg5civic
17-07-2012, 06:02 PM
yeah the k swap is looking to become more expensive :( so ill prob just stick the b swap :) im still looking for a 18c or a 16b or a 16a which still is gonna cost me roughly 4k :/ which is really kinda pushing my budget sadly

I got my b16b for sale for 4k with a few bolt ons ready to drop in no more parts to buy, and you could do the whole thing diy

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 06:02 PM
you got any contact info for him ill shoot him a pm or something?

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 06:04 PM
you got any contact info for him ill shoot him a pm or something?

Hes user is Benson ad no. 0424 090 004.

Go to the trader section and look up BYP Racing Developments and search his bseries package deal.

When u ring tell him Marv sent ya!

Gl bra.

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 06:05 PM
cheers bro thanks a bundle :)

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 06:07 PM
Np. Gl braz

90LAN
17-07-2012, 06:42 PM
if you want to go b series you will need to a get a 98 spec ek9 engine package or a em1 engine package as you have a 0bd2 ek cxi
this is a straight bolt in, nothing else needed if you get one of those complete package above
you will need engine, gearbox, all ek engine mounts, drive shafts, obd2b engine loom and interior harness/ecu, and shift linkages
a brake upgrade is recommended
if you buy any other b series it is not a straight bolt in and will need extra parts/work and money to make it fit
labour wise people do conversions for 1-2 k depending on many variables

so your 4k budget will maybe get you a b16a2 from a em1 into your car

or you can save your self hassles and sell your car for 3-4 k and use the money you have and buy a car already done from honda or buy a car thats had a conversion

the last advice is best for virgin b series conversion owners

best of luck yoshi

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 06:52 PM
cheers for the info lan yeah i found a guy who is gonna do the conversion to a 16a :)

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 07:11 PM
cheers for the info lan yeah i found a guy who is gonna do the conversion to a 16a :)

Nice bro.. Is this someone i knw? :p

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 07:13 PM
haha yeah i contacted him and damn he was cheap so gonna get him to do the conversion do you know how often he comes upto bris thou

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 09:48 PM
haha yeah i contacted him and damn he was cheap so gonna get him to do the conversion do you know how often he comes upto bris thou

I believe they got the tuning booked in qld soon or that passed already. Ask benny..

Did u tell him u were referred?

bladed_yoshii
17-07-2012, 09:52 PM
yeah i mentioned you in my first pm i still couldnt beleive how cheap they wanted for the complete conversion im driving to syd soon to get it done know anyone who wants a d16y4

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 10:09 PM
yeah i mentioned you in my first pm i still couldnt beleive how cheap they wanted for the complete conversion im driving to syd soon to get it done know anyone who wants a d16y4

Nice bro...

U can easily sell that on the forums mun.. No issues..

Let us knw how u go..