View Full Version : Drivers side window - How to tell if the motor needs replacing

dwn_boi
12-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Hey guys, the window on my prelude has stopped going up and down on the drivers side, I've pulled everything apart and tried to suss it out and fix it but to no avail, when pressing the button the motor makes a noise as if its working but it doesn't..

Do I need a replacement motor/ regulator? Would the teeth be worn down on the motor coz I'm pretty sure they are like plastic on metal, ghey design fault..

Thanks for your help!

FoodTray
12-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Is it just one side that's not working? it might just need a switch replacement.

IV73CI
12-07-2012, 04:40 PM
happend to my civic.

if it doesnt go up and down ...check the below first

1) Check for any blown fuses.
2) Swap/replace window switches - test.
3) Power test the window regulator/motor

if you dont hear or feel the motor when powered up and doesnt move at all on the rotor/teeth then its had its life - replace it.

dwn_boi
13-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Is it just one side that's not working? it might just need a switch replacement.

Yea just the one side :/

happend to my civic.

if it doesnt go up and down ...check the below first

1) Check for any blown fuses.
2) Swap/replace window switches - test.
3) Power test the window regulator/motor

if you dont hear or feel the motor when powered up and doesnt move at all on the rotor/teeth then its had its life - replace it.

Fueses are all good, window switches are in working order, they turn the motor on and off you can hear it, but it just keeps winding winding winding and not moving up and down :(

I'm going wreckers today hopefully they can help me out with the part I need!

IV73CI
13-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Yea just the one side :/

Fueses are all good, window switches are in working order, they turn the motor on and off you can hear it, but it just keeps winding winding winding and not moving up and down :(

I'm going wreckers today hopefully they can help me out with the part I need!

100% certain the teeth on the rotor or mechanical frames are goneskies.

When u go to the wrecker ask for the complete window regulator/motor with the sliders/frame etc.

make sure that you clean & grease/lube the rollers, teeth - basically anything that slides before u install it.

Chapman2233
17-07-2012, 01:43 PM

When u go to the wrecker ask for the complete window regulator/motor with the sliders/frame etc.

make sure that you clean & grease/lube the rollers, teeth - basically anything that slides before u install it.

Same thing happened to mine, I had an issue with the regulator/motor and ended up getting a cheap replacement from the wreckers, definetly worth getting
the the sliders/frames as IV73CI has said above.

If you need help sourcing parts just let me know as I have a friend who works at a wreckers in Kirrawee.

IV73CI
17-07-2012, 06:06 PM
Make sure u get the wreckers to test to make sure the motor works like a charm b4 buying..

dwn_boi
01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
Hey guys sorry I didnt reply, thought I'd follow up with the situation!

Correct!

Same thing happened to mine, I had an issue with the regulator/motor and ended up getting a cheap replacement from the wreckers, definetly worth getting
the the sliders/frames as IV73CI has said above.

If you need help sourcing parts just let me know as I have a friend who works at a wreckers in Kirrawee.

Thanks for that! Where is this wreckers in Kirrawee I called a place there and they said they don't do hondas :/

Make sure u get the wreckers to test to make sure the motor works like a charm b4 buying..

^^^ ps lol i asked them before i left and they said yea yea it works.. took it down to hanny's and they helpd me install it put it all together and didnt work hahaah, had to go back down there and they gave me one fresh off a wrecked car, installed it and all good and working, its so fast now i raced the passenger window and it beats it by a mile hahaah

I appreciate all your inputs, thanks for you help :)

Ps I ended up getting this from Hontoys for $120! everywhere else would not budge less than $150 to $200

mocchi
01-08-2012, 01:56 PM
thanks for the update mate. did you get it working?

dwn_boi
01-08-2012, 06:48 PM
yea its perfect! so fast hahah