PDA

View Full Version : Buying Honda Civic 2008 VTI-any issues?

kurabi
14-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Hi All,

I have recently inspected a Civic 2008 VTI from a private seller.

The car has done about 130 kms with one owner and is in a good maintained condition. Has always been serviced by Honda.

However, there is a small issue. On starting sometimes it makes a screeching noise (similar to the one when you attempt to start the engine when it's already running!).

The seller says that the car has done this from new and the Honda dealer is not concerned about this noise, as it happens randomly and could be due to the way the gear lever sits in the parking (P) position.

Has any Civic owner experienced this issue?
Could there be a major fault with the starting self or something?
Are there any other known issues I should check for?

Stevil
14-07-2012, 09:54 AM
what sort of $$$ is he asking, not weird that the dealer has managed to convince him as they generally only have maonkey who cant diagnose shit. Is there any Warranty left ie 5years/140K ??

And no the noise doesn't sound normally, screeching is usually a worn belt ?

kurabi
14-07-2012, 11:00 AM
what sort of $$$ is he asking, not weird that the dealer has managed to convince him as they generally only have maonkey who cant diagnose shit. Is there any Warranty left ie 5years/140K ??

And no the noise doesn't sound normally, screeching is usually a worn belt ?

Seller is asking 11.5k, there is no extended warranty.

I am just concerned of this being a major issue, which may cost me $$$ as Honda repairs/parts are expensive!

The car has an all clear roadworthy certificate (done be Honda dealer, where it has always been serviced). If it is the worn belt it shouldn't cost too much to replace?

Another question I have is: will RACV vehicle inspection would pick any issues like these?

Stevil
14-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Mate I reckon 11.5K is too much, I paid $19.9 Driveaway with extended warranty last year for a VTI. I'd imagine a v good mechanic would have little trouble diagnosing the prob.

muzukashi
14-07-2012, 05:49 PM
If there has only been one owner then the previous owner has done an average of 26,000kms a year meaning he has been driving it pretty much everywhere he went - Some people don't usually like new cars racking on that much kms in such a short period seeing as though this is a 08 model that is fairly still new.

That issue is definitely not normal and if a 5 year old FD already has some weird symptoms like this, unless you are getting a really good deal and the car is immaculate inside/out other than the mentioned issues i would steer clear of this car.

jprak
14-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I have this issue. thought i turned on my keys to far.
Personally it happens to me. no problems with it. but the price for the car isnt worth it. keep searching =)

kurabi
15-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I have this issue. thought i turned on my keys to far.
Personally it happens to me. no problems with it. but the price for the car isnt worth it. keep searching =)

Thanks for that...I thought that might be the case as apparently Honda service was not concerned about it and it was always serviced at the same dealership from new.

What would be a reasonable price for this car, I can probably bring it down to 10.5k?