PDA

View Full Version : EG Sedan Swaybar upgrades (what to spend my tax refund on...)

sebtoombs
14-07-2012, 06:59 PM
So I think I will spend some of my tax money on upgrading sway bars on my EG8 (Sedan).
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations, as I don't really have the money to be buying new ones if I end up with a crap set up, and I know sway bars can be tricky to get right.

My car is daily driven, currently have BC racing coilovers, GT Radial champiro tyres (best small tyre I've driven actually). Not too worried about ride comfort, I want to get round those corners, fast as possible. I will be getting larger wheels and stickier tyres when some money appears.

Brand, model, size? Front and rear.

Also, I'm going to be needing new rear lcas. I understand DC2s have different rear strut mounting point. Or is it only the DC2Rs? Is it not possible to drill a hole in the existing arms? Would reinforcement be necessary if a hole was added to a non-sway bar lca? I have the resources to do these things.

Any help be great boys and girls

dorikin
14-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Just get DC2R swaybars. 24mm front 22mm rear

If you need rear LCA's with swaybar mounting holes, get EG5 or DC2 (non Type-R) LCA's. (DC2R rear LCA use eyelet mount)

sebtoombs
14-07-2012, 11:59 PM
That actually sounds like a good cheap option for now.

Anybody selling?

xclusive_eg8
15-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Yep eh9, eg vti both have rear sway bar mount. Im running dc2r bars on my eg sedan, and must say you really notice them.

dougie_504
15-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Make sure you get a subframe brace to prevent your subframe from tearing due to the increased force being put through it. It's not designed to take the strain of such a thick/stiff sway bar.

ITR sway bar + ASR or BWR subframe brace.

mocchi
15-07-2012, 07:22 PM
Make sure you get a subframe brace to prevent your subframe from tearing due to the increased force being put through it. It's not designed to take the strain of such a thick/stiff sway bar.

ITR sway bar + ASR or BWR subframe brace.

seen this for the first time in my life today lmzo
this shit is real folks. dont cheap out.

dougie_504
15-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Yes, very expensive to get fixed, when you can protect yourself for like $200.

sebtoombs
26-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Hey Whiteline, somehow I totally missed your reply. I was looking mainly at Whiteline gear, before I asked this question, and will probably go with Whiteline I think. People generally seem to ask around $200 per sway bar for used DC2R items, which when compared with the rrp of whiteline sway bars, looks a bit silly.

Wondering if any body has any experience setting up an eg sedan? Would a 24mm from with 20mm rear or 22mm rear be better?

bennjamin
26-08-2012, 08:19 AM
The dc2r rear swaybar should be around $100-150 second hand - they hold value. But still are better suited than a whiteline swaybar alternative. You can also sell the kit once you are done with it , for a decent amount too

Get a ASR rear subframe kit and the ITR rear swaybar - great upgrade and safe and reliable.

EG5
26-08-2012, 04:35 PM
http://www.jdmyard.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=46&product_id=307

ASR brace + rear sway bar combo

dougie_504
26-08-2012, 05:03 PM
I just did ASR + ITR RSB about a week ago. Feels fantastic, very stable rear end.

Noticeable oversteer increase, and also be careful not to let the rear slide in the wet before you're familiar with the new handling.

Got my ASR from USA for $178 delivered. I'll see if the company is still doing the deal and let you know if you're interested.

sebtoombs
26-08-2012, 05:38 PM
So thats 22mm rsb? What do you have in the front? From what I can gather, the over/understeer is more a function of the sway bar ratio.

Yeah that would be really great if you could mate.

dougie_504
26-08-2012, 09:02 PM
23mm I think can't remember. Way bigger than the OEM 14mm so I'm happy.

That said though you certainly notice when you don't run the 14mm.

Front is OEM. I'm going to source an ITR FSB too just to fix that oversteer.

I'll check my source.

bennjamin
27-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Good idea to copy a OEM layout ! ( standard DC2 ITR for example)

mugen_ctr
27-08-2012, 03:45 PM
imo just depends on what u want out of the car, i prefer a more neutral feeling car, and on track i loved it! running 22mm front an 20mm rear, makes for a happy car through the tight corners and S bends

But if u want more adjust-ability go white line as there sway bars can have upto 3 levels of adjustments, and is a solid bar, not like most oem which is hollow... around 30 - 50 percent less rigid as solid bars from what ive been reading

e.g 30mm hollow swaybar = 24mm solid swaybar

amant02
29-08-2012, 10:36 PM
I would recommend the subframe brace. Just paid $300 bucks for a shitty welding job lol.