PDA

View Full Version : EK Central Locking Delay

Underoath87
14-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, had a problem start today. When I turn the key in the drivers side of my EK1 the it takes between 2 and 10 seconds for the passengers side to unlock. When I lock the door, it takes about 3 seconds for the passengers side to lock. Any suggestions of where to start looking for the problem or on what to do to recitfy it would be great. Thanks, Andrew.

dorikin
14-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Charge your battery

Kenninho
15-07-2012, 10:07 AM
Is it factory central locking or after market? if factory, the regulator/motor could be busted? There's a little regulator attached to the locking unit on the door. It's held in by 3 countersunk phillips head you will need to detached 3 rods and unscrew the door handle to take out. (a bit fiddly to get out.)

szmidi
15-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Yep, I'd start looking at the motor inside the door. I imagine the longer delay in unlocking means the motor is working against more parts than when it is locking. And ultimately it appears the motor on that side is weakened for some reason and doesn't quite have the power of the other.

If it is aftermarket it could just be that the motor is tired and worn out. Luckily I have a two door and had a four door central locking kit so I had two spares. Put them in and everything was like new.

If you work it out and need to rectify/replace one side, I'd be prepared for the other to need the same treatment in the not too distant future.

Underoath87
15-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks for suggestions everyone. It's just te factory system at this stage. Yeah it's a two door so lucky in that respect. Will check the charge on the battery first and go from there. Will report back when I get a chance to check it out. Andrew

1.mile
15-07-2012, 04:38 PM
Had this problem..an easy fix was to crc/wd-40 the rods making sure u get plenty around the motor side (drivers side door of course).
Worked a charm :)

zhong
15-07-2012, 06:59 PM
I'd say it's the central locking module inside the door that is faulty/dirty.

1. Try spraying the rods with WD-40 (as someone else suggested), and make sure you get the hing/lock latch section all nice and oily - lock/unlock a few times to let it seep all the way through.
2. Goto the wreckers - and pull out a spare box from another wrecked EK and swap it over.

I don't think the battery will affect the "delay" in the lock/unlocking - it's more or so the trigger has been delayed - possibly a faulty relay switch inside the central locking module.

If the above doesn't help - your wiring may be modified before - my latch/switch doesn't always trigger the passenger to lock/unlock - so I re-wired it to have a signal being sent from my alarm instead - this has added a 2 second delay on the passenger side door lock to trigger after triggering my remote. From factory, the passenger lock should be triggered almost instantly as you "twist the key to the unlock position".

Goodluck.

Peace.