PDA

View Full Version : stripping rim paint?

mugen_ctr
16-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Hey chums, im wanting to get that metal polish or high silvery look on my rims, but not sure how to go abouts...

Ive seen ppl use paint stripper, is it advisable to use it?

Or

Is sanding it down the only way to go about it?

cheers

SLOBRO
16-07-2012, 12:40 AM
so you want to respray your rims?
you could use paint stripper, but then you have to use primer again and sand it down with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper, wipe it down good with wax and grease remover then spray it (with paint stripper wear gloves and do it outside)
or you can just sand it down with 800 gritt wet/dry sandpaper, wipe with wax and grease remover and spray it (easier/less messier)
best way to do it is to take your rim off the car take it to a tyre shop and ask them to break the tyre bead that way you can paint the lip properly ones dry pump the tyre back up

mugen_ctr
16-07-2012, 01:07 AM
so you want to respray your rims?
you could use paint stripper, but then you have to use primer again and sand it down with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper, wipe it down good with wax and grease remover then spray it (with paint stripper wear gloves and do it outside)
or you can just sand it down with 800 gritt wet/dry sandpaper, wipe with wax and grease remover and spray it (easier/less messier)
best way to do it is to take your rim off the car take it to a tyre shop and ask them to break the tyre bead that way you can paint the lip properly ones dry pump the tyre back up

not really after respray but like i said, just after that metal polish look, i guess sanding is the safest bet hey

so sanding it down to bare metal than polishing it would be the go?

hoojee
16-07-2012, 05:16 PM
But, if your planning to sand it down to bare metal anyways, paint stripping would save you hell of a lot of time and sweat...

depends though, are you just sanding the lip or entire rim?

if entire rim, just paint strip imo. Paint strip will probs take 15-20mins per rim, while sanding, hmm depends how thorough you are, will take significantly longer.

SLOBRO
16-07-2012, 07:02 PM
yea paint stripper is alott easier if you want bare metal

mugen_ctr
16-07-2012, 10:30 PM
ah cheers guys :thumbsup:

kristrifo
16-07-2012, 10:53 PM
personally i would take the rims to get sand blasted and then paint it myself with primer etc etc as slobro mentioned