PDA

View Full Version : VIC Lowered Springs

YLDCRD
16-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi All,

I recently bought King spring ultra lows for dc2 integra.

Im wondering if this is unroadworthy. I bought them second hand.

Car will be on stock struts with king springs + 15 fat fives.

If this is unroadworthy and a vicroads/police consider a defect.

Will an issue for a RWC need to be conducted to clear defect.

or simply, just put it back to standard height and drive to vicroads to clear defect.

Its been a while since i have modified my car. So just unsure whether the road rules have changed.

Can anyone shed some light? or had recent experience with defects lately?

Thanks All

namtaro
16-07-2012, 02:53 PM
depends on how low your car sits... i cant remember how low they go... usually defects nowadays you need a rwc.

senna
16-07-2012, 03:07 PM
There is a possibility that your car will be under the legal height.

Best thing to do is check with VicRoads what the regulation is, then measure your car to compare.

YLDCRD
16-07-2012, 03:21 PM
depends on how low your car sits... i cant remember how low they go... usually defects nowadays you need a rwc.

Really? Its been like 3 years since ive lowered my car.

I had my wrx lowered then. And i needed to raise it and bring to vicroads.

Ill call vicroads later today and find out....Hopefully it hasnt changed.

From anyones experience? Has anyone lowered there car on ultra lows? No if its legal or not?

Thanks

mocchi
16-07-2012, 03:22 PM
100mm lowest point for anything under carriage i think.
so your sway bar, oil pan, exhaust, cat, or chassis? needs to be more than 100mm from ground.

even with more than 10cm clearance, you can still get defected
cops gonna try to bounce a corner of your car and say "too stiff"

mocchi
16-07-2012, 03:28 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?141707-2-3rd-s-of-the-original-suspension-travel-explained!

namtaro
16-07-2012, 05:24 PM
i know someone who got defected for lows on an eg with stock 15 fat fives and super low springs =S

mugen_ctr
16-07-2012, 06:17 PM
ive been there unfortunately, regardless of what springs/shocks or coilovers u use, as mocchi said, the lowest point of the car has to be minimum of 100mm clearance, an they will check it with a dolly that is exactly 100mm high and run it through the whole car back to front, if anything touches it prepare to go back an fix it up.

lowered springs are fine, they are legal from few cops ive spoken to, but again its down to suspension travel, so coil-overs wont pass simple as that unless u obtain engineers cert for it.

As for defects over all, there are 2 types of defects, minor and major, major means u will need a RWC to pass and go to vic roads for full inspection, in which case than u will need to pretty much return the car back to standard as when u brought it or prepare to pay for engineers cert to approve the mods and pass roady cert.

Minor which is what most ppl an me copped is simple job, usually around 3-5 things a copper will pickup on, an basically you will need to rectify the problem so in ur case throw the stock suspension on, go to vic roads an they will check the height an than sign off the problems when they have checked if its ok an legal.

stndrd
16-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Ultra lows give up to 70mm of lowering. I would be fairly confident in saying that one point of your car will be too low. If you get a defect for ride height it is deemed as a major and a rwc will be required before you can clear it at vicroads

mugen_ctr
16-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Ultra lows give up to 70mm of lowering. I would be fairly confident in saying that one point of your car will be too low. If you get a defect for ride height it is deemed as a major and a rwc will be required before you can clear it at vicroads

IF u get a defect im fairly certain it will swing 2 ways, as u said a major defect or minor...

Ive been done for ride height an only copped a minor an no fine, so just goes to show its down to the police on duty an there discretion whether they see it reasonable for it to be a minor or major defect.

YLDCRD
16-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Really dont know whether to lower my car now.

Ive been done for a lowered wrx and i cleared it with a minor defect - sent to vicroads to inspect.

But im sure times have changed and they are alot more stricter.

I have coilovers in at the moment. I could lower it to a point where it is still legal. But then again i want to get rid of the coilies..

stndrd
17-07-2012, 07:56 AM
You will find that alot more police these days will give you a major for ride height.

Simple way is to find someone with the same setup you are looking to run then measure their car

YLDCRD
17-07-2012, 09:08 AM
I might just bolt on the shocks and springs this weekend. See how they sit.

If its too low ill take them out and lower to a legal height with coilovers.

Thanks everyone for the help =)

mugen_ctr
17-07-2012, 06:40 PM
I might just bolt on the shocks and springs this weekend. See how they sit.

If its too low ill take them out and lower to a legal height with coilovers.

Thanks everyone for the help =)

You might as well just bolt on the coilovers from the start and play with the ride height lol, would make more sense imo, and anyways i think u will find coilovers will improve the handling much better than kings springs n oem shocks :)

YLDCRD
17-07-2012, 10:25 PM
My coil overs are in Allready. But they are sh*t.
Probably need rebuild.