PDA

View Full Version : what type of coolant to use for 1998 ek1 honda civic?

MR.K
17-07-2012, 04:57 PM
what type of coolant is recommended to use on a 1998 honda civic ek1?

from my understanding there is two types of coolants ...

Propylene glycol engine coolants & ethylene-glycol-based ? ( im not sure which to use)

please correct me if im wrong... ( im really noob..)

aaronng
17-07-2012, 05:01 PM
what type of coolant is recommended to use on a 1998 honda civic ek1?

from my understanding there is two types of coolants ...

Propylene glycol engine coolants & ethylene-glycol-based ? ( im not sure which to use)

please correct me if im wrong... ( im really noob..)

For Honda, use Honda coolant. Not because of ethylene vs propylene glycol, but more of the additives which prevent pitting and corrosion of the water pump.

MR.K
17-07-2012, 05:28 PM
For Honda, use Honda coolant. Not because of ethylene vs propylene glycol, but more of the additives which prevent pitting and corrosion of the water pump.

oh... so its just called "Honda coolant"? not "Honda ethylene coolant" or "Honda propylene glycol coolant"?

TbM
17-07-2012, 05:35 PM
oh... so its just called "Honda coolant"? not "Honda ethylene coolant" or "Honda propylene glycol coolant"?

honda type II coolant if i recall correctly, it should be blue coolant.

aaronng
17-07-2012, 07:50 PM

Yean, as TbM said. It's called Honda Type II coolant on the bottle, but that is the only coolant that Honda Australia sells. Of course, you can buy it from other Honda parts shops that sell it for much cheaper. It's been the same coolant since the early 2000's if I remember correctly and it is ethylene glycol based, i.e. if you drink it you die.

kristrifo
17-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Yean, as TbM said. It's called Honda Type II coolant on the bottle, but that is the only coolant that Honda Australia sells. Of course, you can buy it from other Honda parts shops that sell it for much cheaper. It's been the same coolant since the early 2000's if I remember correctly and it is ethylene glycol based, i.e. if you drink it you die.

same story for a cl9 as well bud?

EG52NV
17-07-2012, 08:09 PM
same story for a cl9 as well bud?

Although it's called Honda type II coolant, there is only 1 kind you can buy, and is safe to be used with all hondas!