PDA

View Full Version : Help...B16a Conversion

danny
10-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey guys

I need to know..if i want to put a b16a into my 98 Civic coupe (D16y8)...

would i need a front cut or can i just buy the engine (with intake manifold and headers and engine mounts) and gear box,ecu and wirng harness...

You option would be greatly appericated....

thnaks guys

z3lda
10-03-2005, 10:35 AM
if i was u, id would buy a vtir coupe . gives me free time to sleep/eat/shit, rather then worrying whether my car is gonna work or not

flipmods
10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
You don't need a front cut, just the items mentioned.
Hey guys

I need to know..if i want to put a b16a into my 98 Civic coupe (D16y8)...

would i need a front cut or can i just buy the engine (with intake manifold and headers and engine mounts) and gear box,ecu and wirng harness...

You option would be greatly appericated....

thnaks guys

tRipitaka
10-03-2005, 01:39 PM
Search is your best friend :D
Check out SIR JDM's b16a FAQ, and you'll pretty much find everything you'll need for the conversion

Kawasaki
10-03-2005, 01:58 PM
and make sure if you buy an engine that it is the same yr or older as your car otherwise your stuffed BUT buying a Vti-R is a better idea

danny
10-03-2005, 02:37 PM
i have already done to much exterior mods to my civic coupe..so selling and buying a vti-r is out....

i just need to know...should i buy the half cut or.........do i just need engine (with intake manifold and headers and engine mounts) and gear box,ecu and wirng harness...

to do an engine conversion

tRipitaka
10-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Buying a halfcut is definitely going to be easier than sourcing your own parts..
you'll also know that you'll have everything you need for the conversion, instead of realising halfway that you have forgotten a part..
I'm not sure what the price differences are.. but i'd think sourcing separate parts would be the cheapest option..
I recommend going for a halfcut.. safest option

tRipitaka
10-03-2005, 02:43 PM
plus, read the sticky - b16a FAQ, all the parts are mentioned for a successful conversion..

panda[cRx]
10-03-2005, 03:22 PM
buy a halfcut, i learnt the hard way!

i'm in melb but had to source some parts form sydney coz they didnt have em in melb!

danny
10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
forget the fact that it illegal

can if i change the engine mounts can i use an Eg B16a half cut

tRipitaka
10-03-2005, 05:11 PM
anything is possible if you're willing to pay for it..
But if it's an EG b16a halfcut, I'm assuming it's from an SIR..
A 98 EK Civic uses OBD2 type ECUs, whereas EG Civics use OBD1..
So you'll have to change the ECU Harness too

StOo
10-03-2005, 05:31 PM
and make sure if you buy an engine that it is the same yr or older as your car otherwise your stuffed BUT buying a Vti-R is a better idea

AFAIK, you're not permitted to put older engines into cars; They must be the same year or newer. IIRC, it has something to do with emissions...

wynode
10-03-2005, 10:28 PM
AFAIK, you're not permitted to put older engines into cars; They must be the same year or newer. IIRC, it has something to do with emissions...
Correct.

The engine has to be the same year or newer than the car its going in.

tRipitaka
11-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Strangely enough, I went to Imlachs, and asked them about engine conversions.. and he offered a gen 1 b16a in my EG..
I told him it was illegal for an older engine to be placed into my EG..
But he goes..
"Not if the emissions are the same?"
shrugs*

CTR Coupe
11-03-2005, 03:56 PM
Correct.

The engine has to be the same year or newer than the car its going in.

i keep hearing this but have yet to actually see on the RTA website where it says that you have to use an engine of the same year or newer.

i know this is the law in the US but have yet to read this on australian road traffic websites.

panda[cRx]
11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
the dude that does the vehicle checks in the pits at melbs largest vicroads (RTA) told me it needs to be same year or newer. sounds liker reliable source to me.