Jazz 220
TOTAL 621

Alll markets are recovering strongly...

dr1ft3r
23-07-2012, 11:38 AM
My household contributes 1

ChaosMaster
23-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Lolz, interesting how China outsells us through CRV's alone. Their the ugliest thing. I just don't get it.

redseven
25-07-2012, 08:02 AM
They sold over 5k Crosstours in China but just 1500 Spirior/Euros. No wonder I've been seeing them all over the place now. It's a car that looks better in the flesh than in pictures but damn, it's still pretty tubby :)

Acura was recently launched as a brand here, they've got the TL and MDX as the main models. Any figures on China Acura sales?

ryaan
25-07-2012, 11:49 PM
honda is seen as a premium japanese brand at developing asian countries. honda dresses the cars much more prettier than they do in australia.. they look plain here for some reason while they look flash over in asia. LOL just a heads up

dirlok
26-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Doesnt the Chinese police use CRV's? I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic of a CRV that the police own and they've put Merc badges on it.

I'll try and dig it up

Edit - it was the other way around...Merc's re-badged to look like CRV, funny read here (http://www.carnewschina.com/2011/07/08/police-in-china-changes-mercedes-benz-ml350-into-honda-cr-v/)

ryaan
26-07-2012, 06:47 PM
LOL do they really think people are dumb...

redseven
27-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Heh, cop cars can be anything and everything in China :) The big American Accords and monster Landcruisers are pretty popular as police cars.

Fredoops
27-07-2012, 09:40 PM
In India for work at the moment, Honda city is about as big as you want a saloon car to go

Some may say Hondas sales are recovering... All I see are problems...
1. New civic ain't selling in Australia (civic should be the bread and butter volume seller... It ain't)
2. Acura ILX is a flop
3. Accord euro is getting old, no replacement in sight, Europe is thinking about dropping the accord(euro) altogether, JDM accord (euro) isn't sold in big numbers, at all.
4. Year to year market share is still Dropping
5. Check the European sales figures. It ain't pretty.

Ps: Honda Brio is actually pretty good.

antony
28-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Fredoops,a few things you say are a bit harsh.

1.Civic is selling almost 1000 units a month locally,and that is without the hatch.Honda intends to sell 1500 a month in the coming months,when it has supplies of the sedan from Thailand,as well as harches from the UK.
2.How can you say the Acura ILX is a flop,if it was only launched in the US the last week in May ???
Its only been on sale for 1 full month there.
3.The Accord Euro has a 5 and a half year run globally based on the CL9,which means the next one should arrive at the end of 2013.
Biggest single markets are US and China.
Europe is not thinking of dropping it after its present run,the UK is .
4.US market,which is Hondas biggest ,is increading market share significantly this year over last year.
5.The whole of the European car market is depressed at the moment.

I dont think things are as bad as you think they are for our favorite car company...

Fredoops
29-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Fredoops,a few things you say are a bit harsh.

1.Civic is selling almost 1000 units a month locally,and that is without the hatch.Honda intends to sell 1500 a month in the coming months,when it has supplies of the sedan from Thailand,as well as harches from the UK.
2.How can you say the Acura ILX is a flop,if it was only launched in the US the last week in May ???
Its only been on sale for 1 full month there.
3.The Accord Euro has a 5 and a half year run globally based on the CL9,which means the next one should arrive at the end of 2013.
Biggest single markets are US and China.
Europe is not thinking of dropping it after its present run,the UK is .
4.US market,which is Hondas biggest ,is increading market share significantly this year over last year.
5.The whole of the European car market is depressed at the moment.

I dont think things are as bad as you think they are for our favorite car company...

Glass half full vs glass half empty I guess. but having to read company press releases and financial reports for a living, I have to say the half empty side usually is closer to reality:

1. 1500 locally is hardly a high number considering it has to make up the lower sales from CRV (until replacement comes... but I highly doubt replacement is going to do as well considering how crowded the market had became) and the big accord (dead beat because of the Euro).

2. The pre-orders and first month sales in the US is very important, its usually a good sign of things to come. also just look at the reviews and professional blogs, it didnt exactly create the buzz the TSX did to say the least.

4. 1500 odd CU2's a month in China is bloody awful, when it was released in China back in 2009 DongFeng Honda was expecting 8000 units a month, it never reached that figure. it's now doing 1500. Furthermore it's a 50/50 joint venture, so it's not exactly a boon for the Honda coffers, PS: Chinese dealers are currently offering a 12.5% discount to shift existing stock of Spriors

5. When the Opel Insignia outsells you 10 to 1, and you car is in one of the highest CO2 tax bands. You got a problem.

Look things might not seem bad at the moment..... but if the best honda can do is "earth dreams" and more hybrids.... maybe im just a cynic, but Honda's paying for flundering half a decade of time when other manufacturers were innovating.

antony
29-07-2012, 10:21 AM
I beleive that Dongfeng Hondas goal with the Spirior was 20 000 units per year,which is what they have been selling over the past 3 years.

Its volime seller is the normal Accord,and the Spirior is the flagship of the range

Fredoops
29-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I beleive that Dongfeng Hondas goal with the Spirior was 20 000 units per year,which is what they have been selling over the past 3 years.

Its volime seller is the normal Accord,and the Spirior is the flagship of the range

DongFeng dont make the accord, Gaungqi makes accord, they are 2 different companies/joint ventures.

Kinda hard to sell the Spriors when they cost more than a top of the ling Skoda Superb (2.0 TSI) and top spec Pegeot 508, and cost more the current generation Passat.... it aint gonna sale a whole lot.

Common Complaints againes the Spiror are (taken off Xcar.com.cn):
*Average build quality, large panel gaps
*Tight rear seat space
*Engine/Tyre NVH issues

The tight rear seat space is a vital shortcoming in a country when every one makes Long-wheel-base cars (even Long wheel base A4's).

antony
30-07-2012, 08:15 AM
Yes,I know Honda have 2 partnerships in China,but Honda is Honda.

Its amazing that Dongfeng Honda could not re ingeneer the Spiriors back seat,to get more legroom,as the actual seat is very comfy as it is massive,but surely could be shortened a bit ?

redseven
30-07-2012, 02:32 PM
The problem with the Spirior is similar to that faced by the Acura TSX - it's priced like a premium car with some fancy bits thrown in, but it's actually just a fancier Accord. A US-model Accord in China costs a lot less than the Spirior even with the same drivetrain, so most people would rather get that and enjoy more room inside. The Spirior is neither here nor there... the FWD drivetrain and Accord-based interior dampen its premium ambitions, yet the standard features and pricing put it above typical saloons.

The Audi A4L, VW Passat variants and even the huge Ford Mondeo sell loads here because of the extended rear seats, whereas premium midsize saloons with cramped rears like the BMW 3-series and Merc C-class are pretty rare. BMW say they'll introduce an extended 3-series to compete in this segment soon. Larger saloons like the 5-series, E-class and A6L are a lot more expensive and not as popular.

The Spirior's engine and transmission are a bit old-school compared to TSI/DSG-equipped Skodas and VWs but I do see the point about reliability. A K24 and a slushbox auto are a lot easier to fix. It's also a good thing that the Spirior looks good and handles well :)

ryaan
30-07-2012, 03:10 PM
honda needs a SPIRIOR L in china LOL

redseven
30-07-2012, 03:18 PM
That's called an Accord ;) And they sell boatloads of 'em here.

No, they don't need to make the Spirior any bigger, in fact they should make it lighter like the old CL9. Some people want big luxo-barges and others want smaller cars to throw around. Overall the Spirior just has a nicer, more premium feel compared to the Accord.

antony
31-07-2012, 08:01 AM
But dont fotget that the Acura TSX has been a great seller for Honda,as it is priced just under BMW 3 series,Merc C class,Audi A4,Lexus IS,and outsells them all.
Maybee the CU2 has done so well in Australia,as it sells against Mazda 6,VW Jetta/Passat,Hyundai i45,Kia Optima,Toyota Camry,Suzuki Kizashi,Ford Mondeo,and they are all fairly similar

ChaosMaster
31-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Honda has gone backwards, and is continuing to do so. There's no arguing about it. I read the review on the latest Civic, people are saying that it's good value, but that's about it. It's interior quality, ride and handling, engine etc is still stuck in 2006, over half a decade behind class leaders like Golf, Focus and Mazda 3. And I agree, have you sat in one? Hard cheap plastics everywhere, doesn't feel at all any improvement over the 2006 model. In a time when all the growning car manufacturers are pushing quality, because that's what aussies want (take VAG for example, for the Golf in Aus, they give us the premium interior near Audi standards, but for the US, they put the cheaper Skoda spec stuff in it). It's stupid. I mean look at Hyundai and VW, their sales grow year on year because they keep pushing quality. Look at Honda and Holden, their pushing value for money, pushing out shitboxes like the Barina which is a rebadged daewoo. Problem is, they'll never match a chinese brand like Great Wall or even incoming indian brands, for value. And no one looks at Honda for a cheap budget car. I've no idea what's going on in the heads of the heads of Honda.

Fredoops
31-07-2012, 10:17 PM
But dont fotget that the Acura TSX has been a great seller for Honda,as it is priced just under BMW 3 series,Merc C class,Audi A4,Lexus IS,and outsells them all.
Maybee the CU2 has done so well in Australia,as it sells against Mazda 6,VW Jetta/Passat,Hyundai i45,Kia Optima,Toyota Camry,Suzuki Kizashi,Ford Mondeo,and they are all fairly similar

TSX had been a great seller by cannibalizing Acura TL sales, especially since CU2 came out. I mean just lookin at the TL sales figure since 2009....

antony
01-08-2012, 07:47 AM
I beleive the TL and TSX might merge into one model ,so this would be the next Euro.

It will be called the TLX.

As far as global sales go,Honda are on track for selling a record 4.3 million new Honda and Acura cars worldwide this year,according to Automotive news USA today.

redseven
01-08-2012, 12:40 PM
It's the ILX that's disappointing - the same 2.4, the same 5-speed auto, when they could've gone a bit more premium and at least use a 6-speed torque converter or CVT auto. I have no complaints on the CU2/Spirior's build quality especially as it's a locally assembled model in China. The panel gaps are tight, there's no creaking even with all the bombed-out roads, and the interior soft touch plastics and leather are top notch. Some of the hard plastics do feel a bit cheap but I guess that's the price for being cheaper than a 3-series. VW interiors are dull as hell, Ford's and Buick's look like they were shot out of a shotgun, I think only Honda and Alfa make nice interiors that don't cost a fortune... sporty, driver oriented and ergonomic.

Tell ya what though, I think the CRZ is brilliant :) Small, light and with a perky and economical hybrid powertrain, it's the kind of car Honda should be making throughout its entire lineup.

Fredoops
02-08-2012, 12:07 AM
It's the ILX that's disappointing - the same 2.4, the same 5-speed auto, when they could've gone a bit more premium and at least use a 6-speed torque converter or CVT auto. I have no complaints on the CU2/Spirior's build quality especially as it's a locally assembled model in China. The panel gaps are tight, there's no creaking even with all the bombed-out roads, and the interior soft touch plastics and leather are top notch. Some of the hard plastics do feel a bit cheap but I guess that's the price for being cheaper than a 3-series. VW interiors are dull as hell, Ford's and Buick's look like they were shot out of a shotgun, I think only Honda and Alfa make nice interiors that don't cost a fortune... sporty, driver oriented and ergonomic.

Tell ya what though, I think the CRZ is brilliant :) Small, light and with a perky and economical hybrid powertrain, it's the kind of car Honda should be making throughout its entire lineup.

CRZ? dear God No...

antony
02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
The CRZ has been the biggest flop locally,have NEVER seen one in the roads,and I love in car crazy Melbourne...

Insight not much better...