PDA

View Full Version : Getting an inspection done tomorrow on an S2000

cysp
24-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Hi guys... I'm looking for tips and advice before I purchase this S2000 that I'm interested in Sydney.

The car is from a dealership. I've inspected it myself yesterday, and the details are below:
Model: 2001
KMs: 130k
Price: The dealer is asking for around $17,000.
Clutch: replaced with a genuine Honda clutch in 2011
Roof: in good condition, the plastic window has been replaced with a glass one (don't know when)

Interior condition: It's not excellent. The lid of the compartment in the middle doesn't close all the way. The lid of the larger, vertical compartment doesn't click in. The paint of the plastic area around the gear stick seems worn. No tear on the leather seats, but they seem a little worn and wrinkly around the hip area. Has only one set of keys+remote (the remote is a crappy after market one). The CD player has been replaced with a cheap sony one (the cd player controls around the steering wheel doesn't work with it. How much would I be looking at if I wanted to get them wired up?). The lining of the roof behind the passenger side a little loose and is hanging low. All other buttons, indicators, lights, mirror controls, etc. seem to be working fine.

External condition: It generally seems fine except the front left panel (the one attached/adjacent to the front left light) seems misaligned and repainted. The circular cap for the towing hook in the back bumper is missing.

I didn't get the chance to drive the car yet, but just started it and revved it a little. There weren't any weird noises and the smoke out of the exhaust wasn't suspicious.

Cosmetically speaking, I wouldn't mind the car. However, I am a person who's concerned much more about reliability, and there are a few warning signs that hit me. When I looked at the service history log book it only had the ones done after 2009 at some place called Hanny's(?). When I queried the earlier services, the dealer said "this is all the previous owner gave me", in other words the service history of the car before 2009 is missing. The other signs are that the front left panel has definitely been replaced as the gaps are uneven (it must have been in an accident?) and the tow cap in the rear bumper is missing (it must have been towed?).

I am getting a guy from state roads to do an inspection on the car tomorrow ($260). Apparently he knows a lot about S2000s.

Any tips and advice for me at this point? Any comments? They'll very much be appreciated.

EKVTIR-T
24-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Theres 2 threads on the 1st page of s2000 subforum about buying one

Have a browse through as theres bit and pieces to look out for mentioned

cysp
24-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I've actually read pretty much everything in those two threads and many other threads in s2ki. They were very helpful. I've made a checklist based on them before I went to have a look at that S2000 today: http://i.imgur.com/hW8U9.gif

I'm interested in any additional advice people may have :)

beanz
24-07-2012, 09:11 PM
$17 grand is hard earned money and represents the lions share of a good condition s2000. From what you've described the car isn't 1st rate. Take your hard earned cash and make it work for you, find a car that's been looked after, negotiate and your patience will be rewarded. You're in the ball park with $17k.

infurNOS
25-07-2012, 12:03 PM
I have read that Hanny's is a very reputible place when it comes to Honda's.

Good choice with the state-roads inspection, i did the same with my DC2R and it was money well spent@ Very thorough

mpetrossian
25-07-2012, 02:24 PM
You can interface your car stereo to the OEM controls using a "DCI" from Modifry - http://www.modifry.com/products/dci/index.htm. I use one with an Alpine and it works well.

I'd give Hanny's a call and see if they can tell you anything about the car too.

As it has a glass rear window, the roof may be a whole new one. I'm not aware of a rear window only replacement (but would love to find one as my roof is fine, but rear plastic window a little scuffed up).

AusS2000
25-07-2012, 07:14 PM
About the roof lining, S2000 doesn't have a roof lining.

cysp
26-07-2012, 09:22 AM
Turns out it was a write-off :(
I canceled off the inspection immediately after I found out. I'm not sure why I was going for a $17k one when my budget is low $20k. Still looking out for ones in Sydney though. I guess I got to be a little more patient...

About the roof lining, S2000 doesn't have a roof lining.

I'm not sure what it exactly was. It's like a lining, but it wasn't covering the entire roof area, just from the seats back.

AusS2000
26-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Ok, so the inner skin of the rear window. Allows it to fold properly when closing.