PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Honda Accord Performance Enhancing Advice

bj.
24-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Hey all,

So I recently was given my Dad's 1990 Honda accord and have been spending some money on doing it up. New interior lights, headlights, alternator, Sound system etc etc.

I'm after thoughts/opinions on what are best products to use to improve performance out of the car. Specifically I'm looking at replacing the Spark plugs & leads, Maybe a pod filter or cold air intake, Fuel Injector, Performance chip and Exhaust system (any other ideas would be appreciated). My goal is to have more power, without cutting back on the longevity of the engine etc and to also have better fuel economy.

Constraints $$$, I don't want to spend too much money as it's still a 20yo car and agreed insurance market value is never high enough!

Any though's, expertise or help would be muchly appreciated.

Tai
24-07-2012, 08:41 PM
Constraints $$$, I don't want to spend too much money as it's still a 20yo car and agreed insurance market value is never high enough!

You just said it yourself.

Dont waste your time/money modding it for performance.

Would look like an idiot trying to go fast in a 22 year old family sedan.

bj.
24-07-2012, 08:44 PM
Speed and performance are mutually exclusive, the more power available the less stress the engine goes through when accelerating, climbing hills, runs smoother for longer, same reason people run premium etc etc.

Please respond with constructive ideas

EKVTIR-T
24-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah that model is actually quite nice and solidly made.

For starters do the basic maintenance jobs and have it running A ok,oil change,plugs,filters,even a transmission fluid change if its discoloured

Performance wiseanything cheap isnt going to make much of a noticeable gain so would suggest enjoying it for what it is and get a 2nd weekend performance car if you need your thrills :)

also steer away from those mod chips,they are bad news

EKVTIR-T
24-07-2012, 09:16 PM
Just to add,if youre set on more power in that car I would advise binning the standard motor and putting a h22a or 23 in.

These motors have been swapped in many times and give an instant jump to around 150kw with added torque to boot without any further power mods

Theyre a bargain vtec motor and can be had cheaply,actually theres a jdm h23a for $900 in the for sale section now :thumbsup:

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:23 PM
I wish I could, it's just had a 1994 Prelude engine put in, 2.2L so .2 bigger than the original, all fluids/oils replace also.

curtis265
24-07-2012, 09:24 PM
giving your car breathing mods will only get you a few horses, a bit more pedal respose and noise.

if you can justify spending a few hundred to get that then by all means, go for it

curtis265
24-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I wish I could, it's just had a 1994 Prelude engine put in, 2.2L so .2 bigger than the original, all fluids/oils replace also.

you should've said that before!

is it t he H22 or F22?

Jasemas
24-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey man welcome to OzHonda
WOOT ANOTHER CB7 OWNER -fcuking happy-
One of the most reliable and well built Hondas made

How many Km's has she done?
Is it an Exi model or base?
Hows the oil consumption/leak?
Sorry for all the questions, just get excited as no one has this car anymore

The only real 'performance' stuff you can do without blowing the bank
Is doing all the basic maintenance as required by the drivers manual
i.e - Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Sparks, Rotor Cap... Hell why not do a valve clearance adjustment, How are your timing belts/accessory belts
Sort your basics then work from there man...
Pull out your air snorkel and spray out your throttle body with carby cleaner (dont drown it)
Hows the tension on your accelerator cable? If its lose tighten it

As EKVTIR-T said do the basics

If you want, do a compression test or leak down find where you might be losing power
The car is 21 years old - its not going to be as good as it was back then
Hope this helps mate, good luck

EDIT: Just saw update on the prelude engine drop in
Unless your car was a 2.0 litre imported model or says '2.0' on the back
Then the prelude engine was no more of a cc increase
Btw what prelude engine did you drop in... a H23? or H22?

EKVTIR-T
24-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Can you find what engine code it is?

Found here

http://asia.vtec.net/topics/engcode1.jpg

Will help for further advice

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:30 PM
you should've said that before!

is it t he H22 or F22?

I know, sorry, it's the F22.

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey man welcome to OzHonda
WOOT ANOTHER CB7 OWNER -fcuking happy-
One of the most reliable and well built Hondas made

How many Km's has she done?
Is it an Exi model or base?
Hows the oil consumption/leak?
Sorry for all the questions, just get excited as no one has this car anymore

The only real 'performance' stuff you can do without blowing the bank
Is doing all the basic maintenance as required by the drivers manual
i.e - Air Filter, Fuel Filter, Sparks, Rotor Cap... Hell why not do a valve clearance adjustment, How are your timing belts/accessory belts
Sort your basics then work from there man...
Pull out your air snorkel and spray out your throttle body with carby cleaner (dont drown it)
Hows the tension on your accelerator cable? If its lose tighten it

As EKVTIR-T said do the basics

If you want, do a compression test or leak down find where you might be losing power
The car is 21 years old - its not going to be as good as it was back then
Hope this helps mate, good luck

EDIT: Just saw update on the prelude engine drop in
Unless your car was a 2.0 litre imported model or says '2.0' on the back
Then the prelude engine was no more of a cc increase
Btw what prelude engine did you drop in... a H23? or H22?

It's done 355,000km and just had the engine done, alternator, rear shocks, and a few other minor bits and pieces.
It's the EXI model, power seat, sunroof, cruise control, runs like a dream.
Oil consumption unsure of, as it's just had the new engine i'l wait and see, before that it's been sitting in the garage for a long time so.

Dad was the first owner, since then it has had a new gearbox at 170,000km and no other issues until the recent engine, alternator etc. Car was bought a week before my birth so it's got a fair amount of sentimental value

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:37 PM
can you find what engine code it is?

Found here

http://asia.vtec.net/topics/engcode1.jpg

will help for further advice

f22a1

Jasemas
24-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Wow that's a freaking good looking cb7 for the amount of k's its done... Very nice mate
Is the engine a F22A1 or F22Z6? That's what engine the AUDM Preludes came with
Unless its a JDM import...

Jasemas
24-07-2012, 09:39 PM
f22a1
F22A
This engine series was used in the Honda Accord and Honda Prelude S. Aside from differences in tuning, these engines are substantially similar.
[edit]Specifications
Bore × Stroke: 85.0 × 95.0 mm
Displacement: 2156 cc
Valve configuration: SOHC, 16 valves, non-VTEC
Compression ratio: 8.8:1
Max power:
F22A1: 125 hp (93.21 4 kW) @ 5200 rpm. (Accord DX, LX). The 1992–1996 Prelude S had a F22A1 but because of a different more aggressively tuned ECU (P12), the power output was 135 hp (100 kW).

YeahByuddy
24-07-2012, 09:42 PM
f22 not really for performance style,maybe can try turbo kits

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Wish it was the one in the photo haha, it's the F22A1.

I was hoping it had the DOHC.

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:47 PM
f22 not really for performance style,maybe can try turbo kits

I was considering one, however have been told they can reduce engine life by up to 30%, not sure I can justify it

Jasemas
24-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Its not DOHC bro unfortunately
Why the 'lude engine drop in?
The old f22a9 would of been about the same HP's unless it spun a bearing
Due to its low comp. ratio it can be turbo-ed

bj.
24-07-2012, 09:58 PM

Lude engine drop in?

yeah i know i can put a turbo in but it will kill longevity

Jasemas
24-07-2012, 10:36 PM
You said you put a prelude engine in it
I'm wondering why?

bj.
24-07-2012, 10:57 PM
You said you put a prelude engine in it
I'm wondering why?

Ah, it was the only one available. I called numerous places around the country and was shit out of luck with almost all. The prelude fitted, was slightly more powerful than the original and only set me back $550.

Jasemas
24-07-2012, 11:02 PM
I recon it was only more powerful as it didn't have the same number of k's as the old one and you got a new tranny.
Other than doing a turbo or spending a tone of money for little performance gains - thats your options
And theres the stuff we suggested, good luck

bj.
24-07-2012, 11:12 PM
Cheers, given me a few things to consider, appreciate the input

curtis265
24-07-2012, 11:51 PM
How about a H22 head?

this guy nose

Jccck
25-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow, how did i miss THIS thread!

First of all, you just aquired the best Accord ever made (I'd happily say the best Honda, excluding NSX ofcourse lol)

Unofficially ofcourse, i own the most heavily modified CB7 in Australia.. Who knows why.

Shoot me a PM if you need info on anything unusual, i should be able to help.
Best advice i have about the engine.
Keep the F22A1.
If you can find an F22A9/H23 Intake Manifold(Complete), F22A9 Cam and F22A9 ECU you'll be absolutely laughing.
Because that's all you'll need to bump from 125HP to 148-152HP.

Parts for your F22A/Accord are readily avaliable and at comparable prices to other much more common Hondas.
http://tasauto.com/
Is a good place to start for OEM replacement parts (Quite often cheaper to buy/ship than to obtain through Honda Australia!)
And if you're really after a huge database of information, http://cb7tuner.com/ is the online community (American based however).

F22A's are an excellent enging for Boosting not because of their lowered compression, but because of the steel sleeved block and high flowing head.
They are a very restricted Motor from stock, and they respond amazingly well to modifications.. Better than most other Honda Motors.
Very torquey Motor, and excellent on fuel (Highway driving 850km+ on a single tank, 56L.. I shit you not, i've done it many times in two different CB7s)

There's a CB7 on the web, 'Million Mile Joe's' a 1990 Accord which reached the 999,999 mark, and rolled back over to 0.. That's 1.6 Million Kms! Talk about reliable.

As you've already been told here, it's a comfy and reliable car.. Great on fuel, easily modified and there only limit is your bank account.
Not to mention classy as hell =P

curtis265
25-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Jccck, a bit off topic but i think you're the person to ask for this... how does a F22 block with an H22 head compare to a stock H22?

Jccck
25-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Jccck, a bit off topic but i think you're the person to ask for this... how does a F22 block with an H22 head compare to a stock H22?

F22A Block+H22A Head = G22.

Not certain if a F22B block can be used in place of the F22A however?

ThePacman had a thread about a G22 just recently!
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?166105-My-mates-project-EG-G22-frankenstine-turbo.

Comparing F22A Block to H22A Block;

The H series block has FRM sleves. The F series block has steel sleves.
So the block can handle much more boost.

It is much stronger, but with a smaller bore, and a longer stroke, they generally have a lower redline.
But of course, when you throw in your forged pistons and rods, and if you bother, a billet crank. They lower your rotational mass, which gives you the ability to rev harder anyhow....

Just about sums it up!

Imo, G23 is the best Motor.
F22A Block; H23 Head.
DOHC Non-Vtec and bloody near indestructible lol.

curtis265
25-07-2012, 12:40 PM
yeah i'm liking the steel sleeves over the FRM, they're ghey

thanks for the info

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jccck again. :(

bj.
28-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. Have just bought a Pod filter and getting a mate (Fitter & Turner) to machine up a new box and pipes for it. in the meantime some new performance spark plug cables are on order and just researching new spark plugs. By the looks of it the stock Plugs in the car (Denso) seems to be the best to go with.

HondaTurboVtec
29-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Hey all,

So I recently was given my Dad's 1990 Honda accord and have been spending some money on doing it up. New interior lights, headlights, alternator, Sound system etc etc.

I'm after thoughts/opinions on what are best products to use to improve performance out of the car. Specifically I'm looking at replacing the Spark plugs & leads, Maybe a pod filter or cold air intake, Fuel Injector, Performance chip and Exhaust system (any other ideas would be appreciated). My goal is to have more power, without cutting back on the longevity of the engine etc and to also have better fuel economy.

Any though's, expertise or help would be muchly appreciated.

You can change the intake system for a performance Injen CAI.
Performance 4-2-1 headers with a 100 cell high flow cat & 2.25 custom exhaust system.
Purchase buddy club racing condenser, http://www.buddyclub.com.au/2007/condenser/condenser.html.
Inexpensive ecu to tune the car, http://www.nengun.com/trust-greddy/e-manage-blue.
Underdrive pulley
Bigger throttle body
Change intake manifold for ITB or performance intake manifold.

All these parts gaurentee horsepower increase & torque.

Jasemas
29-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Id recommend going ngk for spark plugs

Jccck
30-07-2012, 09:17 AM
You can change the intake system for a performance Injen CAI.
Performance 4-2-1 headers with a 100 cell high flow cat & 2.25 custom exhaust system.
Purchase buddy club racing condenser, http://www.buddyclub.com.au/2007/condenser/condenser.html.
Inexpensive ecu to tune the car, http://www.nengun.com/trust-greddy/e-manage-blue.
Underdrive pulley
Bigger throttle body
Change intake manifold for ITB or performance intake manifold.

All these parts gaurentee horsepower increase & torque.

You don't need that Condenser.
ECU, you'd be better off with an AEM V2 EMS, plugs straight into the factory harness and it's very easy to tune.
Don't alter your pulley setup, this isn't a track car.. These Accords have some of the lightest power steering around, why ruin it?
Don't bother with an aftermarket rediculously big Throttle Body.
H23 Intake Manifold+TB is the best swap, everything is identical and it bolts straight on.. You could go for a Golden Eagle or ITB's but this is his daily remember?

I'd highly recommend a mild camshaft though, best thing i ever did when my CB7 was N/A.

Jasemas
30-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Jccck y u no on OzAccord?

Jccck
30-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Jccck y u no on OzAccord?

I'm on there occasionally.. Never have time to update my build thread though lol.
Starting to have more modifications/parts than i can recall and list lol.

bj.
10-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the help!! Was well under way with a new sound system, pod filter, spark plugs/racing leads, and other bits and pieces for the car. Now thanks to complete and utter *INSERT COLOURFUL LANGUAGE HERE* the car is written off. Here dies a dream.

Jasemas
11-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Oh shit man
What happened bro?
Sorry to hear

bj.
11-08-2012, 12:59 AM
Oh shit man
What happened bro?
Sorry to hear

It was 7.20 PM, My brother way driving the car at the time with his girlfriend in the passenger seat. He had just turned into a street off a main rd and accelerated to 50-60kmph. Out of a side street on his right (fairly blind also) a dark coloured holden without headlights on, went through a give-way sign and in front of my brother driving. He T-Barred the other car and then it slid, Causing the bonnet to be completely flattened and the entire right side of the car damaged. The Other guy then careered into a fence. There was only time for my brother to brace for impact as the the other driver was doing about 40-50kmph. He left his details then left the scene before the police arrived (whilst leaving in a car that was now unroadworthy). Minor injuries for all involved, whiplash and seatbelt burn and the schock. Car a write off. We only had 3rd party insurance, however we have been lucky enough that in this particular case, as my brother was not at fault and the other driver involved (uninsured) there will be no excess fee on our part and insurance will pay out on market value (still doesn't cover the sentimental value).

Needless to say, it's sad to see a car destroyed by an idiotic and incompetent person who never even apologised nor asked if my brother or his Gf were injured. No love lost in the words we "exchanged" with him

Jccck
11-08-2012, 12:06 PM
'Scuse my language,

F#*king Commodore drivers.

I owned a Capaccino CB7 for about 2 years, left it stock for awhile.. But just as i got into the swing of modding it (Suspension, Rims+Tyres, Sound System, I/H/E) i had an accident in the wet.. And wrote it off =\
Fortunately for me, all aftermarket parts were undamaged.. Even though the car was a complete write off (Chassis and panel damage)
So after a few days of sulking over it, i found another one on CarSales, but in Melbourne.
Flew down, loved it.. Bought it! Drove it the 1200km's back home.
Swapped everything over!

Best bit is, i now have dozens of boxes full of spare parts.. Everything from engine components, suspension, interior trims, the lot.
Comes in handy ALL THE TIME! Lol.
And it just so happened the new Frost White CB7 had almost 100,000 LESS km's, and was in very good condition.

So in a way, crashing my first CB7 was the best thing that ever happened for me.
Anyone who's seen my car/knows of it's build would agree =P

curtis265
11-08-2012, 12:14 PM
oh shit man sorry to hear about that :(

hope you're all okay

Jasemas
11-08-2012, 01:02 PM
****ing commonwhore drivers
Man im so sorry.
Its why ive got a breaket bar and a maglight next to my drivers seat
If hes uninsured how the **** will he pay you back?
Btw Jack is your cb7 full comp. Or 3rd party? How much is it insured for?

bj.
11-08-2012, 03:18 PM
thankfully aside from some whiplash and seat belt burn My brother and his GF were relatively unharmed. The other guy I'm unsure of (not that I even care(. Our insurance payout will be little compensation, with respect to the other guy being uninsured i'm not sure. Between my brother, father and I we are all discussing whether it's worth suing the guy. I personally don't think it's fair that he gets away with just the damage to his car when he can't even be man enough to apologise. He was at fault and it should be his responsibility to pay up. though the reality of that may be a hard won fight, and costly if we decide to take legal action.

Indie
11-08-2012, 03:30 PM
****ing commonwhore drivers
Man im so sorry.
Its why ive got a breaket bar and a maglight next to my drivers seat
If hes uninsured how the **** will he pay you back?
Btw Jack is your cb7 full comp. Or 3rd party? How much is it insured for?Why would that be?

Jasemas
11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Because i've had a few common-whore drivers try and run me of the road and start fights with me
All because I remind them (give em a short honk) that the light is green or they're merging into my car...
And yeah OT
If i was in your situation i'd sue the man for damages - its not right he virtually is vanquished of responsibility
And failing to give way and no lights on at night - a couple of broken laws there

YOanthony
11-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Because i've had a few common-whore drivers try and run me of the road and start fights with me
All because I remind them (give em a short honk) that the light is green or they're merging into my car...
And yeah OT
If i was in your situation i'd sue the man for damages - its not right he virtually is vanquished of responsibility
And failing to give way and no lights on at night - a couple of broken laws there

WA - the new Bronx.

Sorry to hear about your car OP. Common-whore drivers.. pfft, how typical. Hopefully you will choose to get another Accord, as they are truly great cars.

Indie
12-08-2012, 06:38 PM
And yeah OT
And failing to give way and no lights on at night - a couple of broken laws therePfft, so you're going to bash somebody's head in with a torch? Right...

Jasemas
12-08-2012, 07:42 PM
No, no just threaten them with it if they arc up
Hopefully OP gets another accord
cb7>cd5

curtis265
12-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Jase is keeping the breaker bar there in case the guy pops a tyre and needs help, the torch is there just in case it's night time

you've gotta think about these kinda things

Jasemas
12-08-2012, 08:59 PM
Jase is keeping the breaker bar there in case the guy pops a tyre and needs help, the torch is there just in case it's night time

you've gotta think about these kinda things

I need a medal/mars bar for being such a good samaritan

curtis265
12-08-2012, 09:02 PM
I'd suggest a gun too, in case you hit a roo and need to put the poor soul out of it's misery

EKVTIR-T
12-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Too far m8,too far..

GU357
12-08-2012, 09:06 PM
I'd suggest a gun too, in case you hit a roo and need to put the poor soul out of it's misery

I hit a roo once, but it was in a ford van, had to go kill it too help it out some.
only had a hammer though, not sure if i did it any favors or not.

curtis265
12-08-2012, 09:07 PM
^ouch

Too far m8,too far..

It would be inhumane to hit a roo and leave it there dying for hours.