PDA

View Full Version : First new Honda - Advice and tips...

Sherdil
24-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Hi Guys
Let me just start by saying that I am as happy as a pig in the mud right now!! :D

Bought my first ever Honda, well, more importantly, Honda Accord Euro (Base model, Auto, Alabaster Silver) two weeks ago and man is that an awesome car or what?!!

I am soo damn happy and excited :) I have a few questions that I thought I'd ask you awesome guys so I can care for my new baby well :D

I bought my car for a really good price (I knew what I wanted, did a bit of research and haggled really hard) and didnt get any paint and interior protection etc from the dealership (as I had heard that they charge ridiculous amount and its worthless getting it from them).. I am no car enthusiast but I like to take good care of my stuff in general :) So here are my questions:

* Is there a decent product that I can use to protect the plastics and the interior (including fabric on the seats, carpet) of my Accord Euro? I personally dont like seat covers. I think they look ugly :D I want protection against scratches, scuff marks on door sill etc etc..

* Where can I get a good quality tint for a cheap price?

* Is paint protection/sealant worth it? If so, what is a good place to get it done and what product should I look at?

* Last and perhaps the most important, which good independent mechanic I can use to get my car serviced (I am from Melbourne. Close to heidelberg/greensborough area to be precise but happy to travel)? I dont want to void my warranty by going to any Tom, Dick and Harry! I remember hearing somewhere that there is one in the Ringwood area that is probably the best in Melbourne.. Could you please shed some light on this?

I am a noob when it comes to cars and this is my first brand new car so I am a bit overly concerned I guess!!

I would really appreciate your suggestions/advice so please dont hesitate!

Thanks

Hitchy
25-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Personally I think seat covers are crap and they might interfere with the side airbag anyway.
I bought a second set of floor mats at a discount through the dealer for down the track as the Honda custom ones fit well and match the carpet.
Be very careful what window tint/film you use on the rear window. The integrated antenna in the rear window apparently can be affected by metalic based tints.
The plastic all scratches up and looks crap if you're not carefull on any car these days from my experience.
Early days in it's life my car got good washes and wax applied to protect the paint. It scrubs up as good as new despite getting a bit neglected later in it's life.
Careful washing I think is key to the paint job looking good for a long time.
Use good detergent and wax.
No dirty sponges/cloths/shamois. Don't rub crap into the paintwork at any stage of washing or rinsing. Go back to the bucket and clean the sponge/shamois frequently.
I have separate sponges/shamois for wheels and low down on bumbers & skirts etc.
Drying off at end of wash/rinse with a shamois gets all the soap residue off.
I believe the paint already has a 'clear coat' protectant applied out of the factory.

My 2 cents done...

Sherdil
25-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Hitchy

Appreciate your reply! Yeah I dont like seat covers either..

Any other suggestions guys?

Cheers!

Fredoops
23-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Hint 1:
There's a dedicated "accord euro" sub forum which isn't dead like this one.

Hint 2:
If yours is an auto. Forget the logbook intervals, change transmission fluid at your very next service, and then do a change every 2nd service from then onwards. Why? Because the Honda auto tranny is pron to failure. And needs very frequent fluid cHanges

Hint 3:
If you need parts like door actuator, brake pad/rotor, air filter, air intake etc. amazon is your friend. Search for Acura TSX parts

Jasemas
23-08-2012, 02:29 PM
And with your transmission fluid changes
I'd recommend not to flush
Just a drain and refill

Sherdil
11-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Thanks Fredhoops!

I thought I did put it in the "Accord Euro" subforum.. :D I will keep the transmission fluid intervals in mind. I am really a noob when it comes to cars so will mention that to the mechanic during my next service. I might also check with him if I can change it myself (if its not too hard) as it will be easy on the pocket.

Cheers

Sherdil
11-09-2012, 01:06 PM
And with your transmission fluid changes
I'd recommend not to flush
Just a drain and refill

Thanks Jasemas, shall keep that in mind :)
Cheers

caudex
11-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I would recommend getting the Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer applied professionally, Since they scrub it down to remove any scratches which were hidden by wax and then prepsol it and apply. (This stuff is REALLY good for paint protection... imagine covering your entire car in a condom).

One application usually lasts the entire life of the car if you keep it well maintenanced by using their C2 Liquid Crystal ever 2-3 washes. But i usually use it every wash...

Gtechniq L1 Leather Guard is good for Leather, they do a fabrics one too which i heard online that it is good.

Sherdil
11-09-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah she's a beauty caudex, I wouldnt wanna have unprotected sex with her lol!!

I will certainly have a look at Gtechniq C1 Crystal Lacquer as one of the paint protection options..

Can you guys please recommend a good mechanic for servicing my Euro? I am looking forward to a trouble free driving for years to come!

Thanks for all your replies so far..

Cheers

butterfingers
11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
hannys performance centre
top one auto

Sherdil
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
hannys performance centre
top one auto

I think its a bit far to travel to NSW for servicing me car lol!

I am from Melbourne - North Eastern suburbs (Heidelberg, Rosanna, Grrensborough etc).. Happy to travel for a honest decent mechanic.. I am just looking for a decent passionate mechanic who is reasonable and knows his stuff... Dont wanna get ripped off by the stealerships :D

butterfingers
11-09-2012, 04:04 PM
lol didnt know.

Neilz
11-09-2012, 04:16 PM
out of curiosity what was the price you paid and any accessories thrown in?

Sherdil
11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
out of curiosity what was the price you paid and any accessories thrown in?

29K (well $28997.70 to be precise lol) including genuine honda mats, a boot lip protector and a full tank of petrol..

Neilz
11-09-2012, 05:32 PM
looks like there was only a $700 difference when i went 9 months ago... but mine was a my12

Sherdil
12-09-2012, 11:22 AM
looks like there was only a $700 difference when i went 9 months ago... but mine was a my12

Yeah I got MY13.. $700 more or less? :D

Neilz
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah I got MY13.. $700 more or less? :D

i would have paid $700 less if i purchased the base model but ended up buying the luxury