PDA

View Full Version : Registering a car with an engine conversion.

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Im losing my shit. I was told by some twat at the RTA that I need an engineers certificate, because my EG SI with a B16 in it, has gone over the 15% displacement law...

Mind you, he told me the law includes increases in power. I went on the site, read through the guidelines and it states.. In print. In plain bloody english that if the DISPLACEMENT of the engine is increased by more than 15% from STANDARD (eg si has a 1.6 litre and a b16 is a bloody 1.6 litre) it requires an engineers certificate.

Has anyone else had this baloney problem with these arseholes?

curtis265
25-07-2012, 02:23 PM
interesting. Link to the relevant clauses?

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Examples of minor (owner certified) modifications are:
„ Engine changes where the capacity increase is less than 15% above the maximum size engine available for the
vehicle (providing no major structural modifications are necessary and where noise and/or exhaust emission
ADRs apply, all standard equipment such as carburettors, exhaust systems, exhaust gas recirculating valves,
oxygen sensors and catalytic convertors relating to noise and emission control are retained and operate
correctly).

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_06_-_guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_20 07.pdf

curtis265
25-07-2012, 02:31 PM
interesting, doesn't really mention anything about power however it does mention

"Owners should note that an engine might not be suitable even though it’s capacity falls within the specified limits."

which is very vague.. the whole document is very vague

I wish you the best of luck

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 02:35 PM
thanks bro, suppose thats a sufficient statement when it comes down to law.. cant do anything in this bloody country.

dorikin
25-07-2012, 02:38 PM
nah you don't need it

just take it to blueslip mechanic and tell them you want adjustment of records, then take the slip to RTA with proof of purchase

done and dusted

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 03:20 PM
car already went for a blue slip bro, it hasnt been registered in years... the mechanic called me and told me the rta wont allow it without a vsccs cert. so its not done and dusted.

IV73CI
25-07-2012, 03:29 PM
Just take your valid blue slip with the new engine no on the slip and bring proof of purchase for the engine and take all this to the rta and rego the fcker.

You'd be ok, just dont ask any questions and be friendly.. Most of these cs operators dunno shit bout cars.

If they ask why u change engine, just say old one had its life.

Let us knw how u go...

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 03:36 PM
it doesnt make sense though, ive done an engine conversion before and didnt have this problem, maybe they've come down hard coz of this new vsccs? the mechanic said the rta wont allow it, so im assuming he tried doing it all online?

dorikin
25-07-2012, 03:41 PM
I did the exact same thing and went through without any questions

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 03:49 PM
how recently did you do it ? i did the same thing too, b16 in an eg si and there was no questions asked.. but this was 2 years ago !

IV73CI
25-07-2012, 03:50 PM
it doesnt make sense though, ive done an engine conversion before and didnt have this problem, maybe they've come down hard coz of this new vsccs? the mechanic said the rta wont allow it, so im assuming he tried doing it all online?

Dude,

Some mechanics are too scared due to the lack of knowledge of these new laws that keep changing.

If u get knocked back, let me knw as i can refer u to a reputable mechanic that knows their shit bout blue slip.

dorikin
25-07-2012, 03:57 PM
year and a half ago

either they changed the laws or you got shafted...

senna
25-07-2012, 04:08 PM
The biggest problem with the RTA in NSW is that every one of the employees interprets the laws differently - so if you go to another RTA you will more than likely have success...

Henessaayyy
25-07-2012, 04:26 PM
year and a half ago

either they changed the laws or you got shafted...

if you had a look at the link i posted, they're obviously the new laws... like i said, i did an engine conversion 2 years ago and had no problems.

@senna ill give it a go, i doubt the mechanic will hand over the blue slip though, if he does ill just head on over to the rta counter, kiss ass to the old lady behind that counter and pray she likes me, haha !

GSi_PSi
25-07-2012, 04:31 PM
dude its not up to the rta at all anymore, the blueslipper registers the change thru online site... the problem is with your blueslipper not the rta..

obviously they were not sure so they called up rta or whatever and some retard has said this crap...

go to a mechanic that knows his shit, youll be fine.

senna
25-07-2012, 04:31 PM
That's generally what works - the people working there cop abuse all day, so if you are nice they generally sort it out for you.

Worked well for me when i worked for a dealer and we needed a rego done quickly...lol

IV73CI
25-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Like what every1 has said, go to another blueslipper dude and go from there. Someone who knows their stuff.

Ison Industries in blacktown and ask for james, tell em Marv sent ya.

dorikin
25-07-2012, 05:50 PM
if you had a look at the link i posted, they're obviously the new laws... like i said, i did an engine conversion 2 years ago and had no problems.

Obviously? How can it obviously be the new law when that article was published in April 2005 and last revised November 2007? And both you and I registered our engines after this date.

It has always been this law.

stndrd
25-07-2012, 06:59 PM
In melb when I hand back a b swapped civic to a customer, I tell them to let vicroads know the the b series is a factory option in japan. I have not had a customer come back so far telling me they need a vass engineers certificate. I recommemd giving this a try if all else fails

Henessaayyy
26-07-2012, 10:44 AM
thanks for the help guys, ill give it a crack, if all else fails, looks like its an engineers cert after all. will keep you posted.
sorry for the misunderstanding dorikin.

MEN15S
30-07-2012, 11:50 PM
I had a Eunos 30X had a 1.8L in it I put a 2.5L in it went to blue slip got engine number changed and took it to RTA no dramas I think you should just go to a Blue slip place and get the numbers changed over if you are in Sydney I have a mate that does Blue Slips that I can hook you up with his pretty easy going and wont really look at your car just your receipts and check the numbers thats it then head to the RTA and you are done

Hope this helps

the Blue Slip guy is located in Campbelltown just send me a PM and ill shoot you back his details

Henessaayyy
31-07-2012, 03:44 PM
thanks meniss, but how long ago was it that you did this?

MEN15S
31-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Did you get a blue slip to change engine numbers before you went to RTA.

Just PM me and Ill send you to my mate for a blue slip and take it to RTA and you will be sweet

MEN15S
31-07-2012, 04:18 PM
thanks meniss, but how long ago was it that you did this?

I done it last year

GSi_PSi
31-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Did you get a blue slip to change engine numbers before you went to RTA.

Just PM me and Ill send you to my mate for a blue slip and take it to RTA and you will be sweet

How is it possible to go from 1.8L to 2.5L...... mechanic wouldnt be able to update it on the system
as it wont go thru requiring a engineer's.

MEN15S
31-07-2012, 05:12 PM
How is it possible to go from 1.8L to 2.5L...... mechanic wouldnt be able to update it on the system
as it wont go thru requiring a engineer's.

I dont know what Is involved but I just told him I changed the motor and need the engine number changed and it was done no problems

rpm boy
04-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Just take your valid blue slip with the new engine no on the slip and bring proof of purchase for the engine and take all this to the rta and rego the fcker.

You'd be ok, just dont ask any questions and be friendly.. Most of these cs operators dunno shit bout cars.

If they ask why u change engine, just say old one had its life.

Let us knw how u go...

this is the idea to have when going to the rta, but i believe they have changed the laws, had a call the other day about this same issue. they are taking stock power outputs into consideration now so gone are the days of b16 and 18 conversions with a blue slip. because of the massive influx of conversions with p plater laws and just vtec awesomeness they have cracked down and if you are still able to get them done it will only be because of an oversight of the rta and pure luck

jdm_b16a
04-08-2012, 03:57 PM
Yes the laws have changed and you can thank the Middle Eastern rebirthing industry and crooked RTA personnel for the crack down.

It's not all politically motivated but that's the basis of it.

Peter

rpm boy
05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
^ lol and that
It's only $500-600 for a engineers report anyway, but as this is the case you are probably better off going for a stock k swap unless ur building or boosting your b

sebtoombs
05-08-2012, 08:07 PM
Yeah they're doing this in Tas as well now, more than a certain increase in power over stock (can't remember the exact %) and you need an engineers cert. Seems dumb to me, its not like its a swap where anything could go wrong (unless you're full retard I guess). No mods needed. Its hardly any different to putting a replacement D series in, which doesn't require engineering.

eren
07-08-2012, 08:40 PM
i f#%king sick of these new rta laws and shit i cant do what i want! without them sticking there noses in my engine bay >:( my dream was a b18/k20 ek but now seeing how hard it is i just fuccckking give up >:(

Rage King
07-08-2012, 09:39 PM
This is why alot of kswap/bswap/hswap cars without engineers are being sold quickly just when theyve just done the conversions.

jdm_b16a
08-08-2012, 06:15 AM
This is why alot of kswap/bswap/hswap cars without engineers are being sold quickly just when they've just done the conversions.

I've been trying to point this out on here for some time now but people who don't know sh*t keep howling me down!

All you out there think you're getting a bargain but without the correct paperwork you got an expensive pile of nuts, bolts and sheetmetal.

Peter

EG52NV
08-08-2012, 08:09 AM
**** this hey!

I see b16s and b18s suddenly dropping in price because of this... No one will be bothered with swaps that need an engineers cert, ek4 might hold their prices a bit better as well as dc2rs and anything that used to be a downer for these engines...

curtis265
08-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I've been trying to point this out on here for some time now but people who don't know sh*t keep howling me down!

All you out there think you're getting a bargain but without the correct paperwork you got an expensive pile of nuts, bolts and sheetmetal.

Peter

this avatar really suits your posts
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar3126_31.gif

jdmEG5
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Anyone know what involves in an engineering certificate?
Places I can go to?
I'm in the same position as the OP

IV73CI
08-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Anyone know what involves in an engineering certificate?
Places I can go to?
I'm in the same position as the OP

did you read the first few pages of this thread? i believe the info you require are all there champ!

jdmEG5
09-08-2012, 02:06 PM
did you read the first few pages of this thread? i believe the info you require are all there champ!

No not really

I will now lol

rpm boy
10-08-2012, 04:44 PM
It's on the RTA site who engineers cars

Henessaayyy
11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
You need a "VSCC", its the new name of the old "Engineers Certificate"
There is only a small list of Certifiers, the RMS cracked down hard on dodgy engineers.
Heres the list of Certified Engineers
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_bulletin_01.pdf

As much of a hassle as this seems, I think it's quite good. It stops alot of unsafe and illegal modifications. And if you manage to get pulled over by the 5-0, you won't have a problem, because your car is engineered :)

End of the day, the law is the law :)
Goodluck with your certificate.

Beeighteensee
13-08-2012, 11:29 AM
You need a "VSCC", its the new name of the old "Engineers Certificate"
There is only a small list of Certifiers, the RMS cracked down hard on dodgy engineers.
Heres the list of Certified Engineers
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsccs_bulletin_01.pdf

As much of a hassle as this seems, I think it's quite good. It stops alot of unsafe and illegal modifications. And if you manage to get pulled over by the 5-0, you won't have a problem, because your car is engineered :)

End of the day, the law is the law :)
Goodluck with your certificate.

Did you end up getting it registered? I'm curious i need to get mine done soon. I'm still going to regester it as normal this year but i will be chasing the blueslip for the conversion not long after.

Rage King
13-08-2012, 04:59 PM
^^
Sounds like a plan. Good idea on doing the normal registration first then BSlip after. If u get stuck, i knw of a place to get BSlip

Henessaayyy
15-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Did you end up getting it registered? I'm curious i need to get mine done soon. I'm still going to regester it as normal this year but i will be chasing the blueslip for the conversion not long after.

Not just yet dude, had to get emissions tests done, and other screwing around. Organising engineer for the coming weeks.
Will keep you posted.

And for the time being, depending on the engineer, only one mentioned it to me though.. But because its a Jap Engine, you have to get an emissions test because there isn't any factory delivered engines with the same number. Yes, there's B16A2, but not B16A. So before the engineers cert, they might ask you to get an emissions test.

Updates coming.

JDM-derek
09-10-2012, 08:36 PM
this has turned me off so much ><