PDA

View Full Version : Honda to phase out Accord in the UK?

Sambo73
26-07-2012, 04:20 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/25/honda-to-phase-out-accord-in-the-uk/

Very Sad :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

Fredoops
27-07-2012, 02:20 AM
It's big. Heavy. Relatively thirsty, expansive to buy and own. Ancient tech.

The Opel insignia outsells the accord euro 10 to 1

Heres some fold for thought: IF the euro accord is no longer for the euro market.... Why would Japan needs 2 accords?

aaronng
27-07-2012, 08:13 AM
It's big. Heavy. Relatively thirsty, expansive to buy and own. Ancient tech.

The Opel insignia outsells the accord euro 10 to 1

Heres some fold for thought: IF the euro accord is no longer for the euro market.... Why would Japan needs 2 accords?
Japan only has 1 Accord and that is the CU2. The Thai Accord is not an Accord in Japan. It's called the Inspire and sits in the next grade up, the spot occupied by cars like the Toyota Crown. Big fat luxury movers. So globally, the CU2 as we know it should still be available.

caudex
27-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Guessing they wont be making an upgrade to CU2?

aaronng
27-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Guessing they wont be making an upgrade to CU2?

That's up to Honda Japan to decide. It is designed and made in Japan for Japan.

ChaosMaster
27-07-2012, 12:38 PM
It's sad, but I kinda expected it like that in Europe. I mean there, the premium brands are much cheaper/affordable. And with the governments 2000 pound on any used car trade in scheme, resale doesn't matter as much. The CU2 just can't compete. That and the fact that Honda is running on a Vtec alone, which while great for track work and such, is thirsty and torqueless in comparison to competition in real world driving, especially on the motorways. It's only saving grace would have been in it's manual transmission, which is still very popular in Europe as opposed to the lazy Aussie, as Honda makes some of the best manual gearboxes ever.

redseven
27-07-2012, 09:22 PM
The Japanese makes like Honda, Toyota and Mazda are still using normally aspirated 2-liter and larger 4-cylinder engines in their midsize saloons. Ancient tech man, just ancient... would a small turbo really cost that much more?

These engines are more thirsty, have less power and torque compared to smaller turbo fours. Sure it's fun to wring the neck out of a K24 up to 6500 rpm but you need a lot of clear road. A 1.4 turbo from VW or Fiat is a lot more enjoyable to drive in daily traffic because of all the torque, especially with the Fiat Multiair engines. Even BMW are moving towards smaller turbo engines from big inline sixes. A CU2 with the Fiat 1.8 turbo in the Alfa Giulietta and 4C would be amazing :)

Fredoops
27-07-2012, 09:28 PM
^^^ Agreed.

Hondas struggling with the changing market.

The European carbon emission standards is going to kill the k20 and K24, and the 2.2diesel any day now.

Small forced induction is the future for the short ad mid term.

ChaosMaster
27-07-2012, 10:59 PM
To be honest, after the CL9, there hasn't been a Honda that I've liked or wanted. I mean think about it, CU2 was backwards in that it gained 150kg over the CL9, yet kept pretty much the same drivetrain (people are moving onto 9 sp autos for god sake, their still stuck with 5sp). The Type R Civic was the same, gaining weight but no real power, and also lost the multi link rear for a torsion beam. The CRV was a horror story with that horrid grill of its. The CRZ turns out to be a hybrid, which doesn't have to be a bad thing, but it's over priced and underpowered. The S2k production also ended, which pretty much ended Honda with it. The Legend will only be remembered in legends as the failure that was also way over priced.

mrgu
29-07-2012, 01:14 AM
I want a new prelude

antony
29-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Its ironic that the next Euro may or may not be launched in the UK,as Honda has just been voted the most reliable used car manufacturer for the 7th year in a row,and the Accord Euro CL9 the second best model,its always been the best or second best model .Survey was done by What Car ? magazine in the UK.

UR34DY
29-07-2012, 02:59 PM
at least give us people in aust a damm euro wagon!

UR34DY
29-07-2012, 03:00 PM
or even the accord coupes ffs!, like chaosmaster said there hasnt been a good model since the cl9

aaronng
29-07-2012, 03:59 PM
at least give us people in aust a damm euro wagon!
Blame Honda Australia. I would have gone for the wagon diesel!

or even the accord coupes ffs!, like chaosmaster said there hasnt been a good model since the cl9
The coupe is a US model, so LHD only. Can't get it here.

ChaosMaster
29-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Not even sure if there's a point in the Accord Coupe, not for australia. I highly doubt it'ld sell. And it's pricing, if Honda Australia ever brought it over, would have been sky high. I guess their bikes are the only thing worth while these days.

Fredoops
29-07-2012, 08:31 PM
things to come:
http://paultan.org/2012/05/01/honda-earth-dreams-technology-aiming-for-best-in-class-fuel-consumption-in-every-segment-with-fun-to-match/

http://s3.paultan.org/image/2.4L-DI-630x391.jpg
2.4 liter.
C.V.T.

fk it im getting a volvo.:thumbdwn:

antony
30-07-2012, 08:25 AM
The Accord coupe is ugly,I have seen them in the USA,but the Euro should have a diesel option locally,as it would have sold like hot cakes...

aaronng
30-07-2012, 08:45 AM
things to come:
http://paultan.org/2012/05/01/honda-earth-dreams-technology-aiming-for-best-in-class-fuel-consumption-in-every-segment-with-fun-to-match/

[IMG]http://s3.paultan.org/image/2.4L-DI-630x391.jpg[IMG]
2.4 liter.
C.V.T.

fk it im getting a volvo.:thumbdwn:

Can't tell clearly, but from the height difference of the camshaft bolts on the other side of the engine, it looks to be VTEC on the intake side only. :(

At least they had this SH-AWD, 7-speed DSG with 3.5L V6 engine. If only it would find its way into a CU2 body.:
http://s2.paultan.org/image/accord-04-630x384.jpg

antony
30-07-2012, 09:07 AM
All this new technology sounds exciting,as long as its not too sophisticated for its own good,eg VW have had huge issurs with its DSG gearboxes,and 118 TSI engines,damaging its reputation as a reliable manufacturer.

kristrifo
30-07-2012, 11:29 AM
imo if honda want to make some money they should focus on refining the cu2

better engine (possible turbo charging [power, fuel economy etc]), lighter body + chassis, increased ergonomic quality and possible awd...imo it would dominate that medium car range, completely eliminating completion from mazda, lexus, subaru etc

antony
31-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Yhe Euro is the 2nd best selling car in its class locally this year,behind the Camry,but it will NEVER beat the Camry,as it is locally made,and sells in big numbers,at huge discounts,to fleets...