PDA

View Full Version : Auto to manual conversion

Tamagochi
03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi I have an manual Ek1 GLI sedan but someone has crushed into my rear end and ride off my car. My sister is getting a new car so she decides to give me her Ej8, White vti. The problem is, its an Auto matic with injector problems. I want to exchange everything from my old car to my sister car.

The question is, Would The ECU be plug and play? and is there any other Wiring needed?

hoojee
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
You can just swap over the entire engine assembly. But i think the EJ8's are sohc vtec (d16y4 or 8 check) whereas EK1's are nonvtec. you can bolt the transmission over.

To add the clutch pedal etc. On the civics they already have the holes there, just covered with a rubber grommet. Just remove and install the same way it was set up in your old civic.

Only thing that will be different is where the shifter goes. To my memory, the auto ones have this extra cover bit compared to the manual civics. They are either bolted on or spot welded, either way not much of an hassle to remove.

dorikin
03-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Engine mount bracket on the chassis rail is also different on manual EK

ECU won't plug and play, the connectors are different. You wouldn't wanna use a GLI ecu on a VTi motor anyway

Tamagochi
03-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Hi I have an manual Ek1 GLI sedan but someone has crushed into my rear end and ride off my car. My sister is getting a new car so she decides to give me her Ej8, White vti. The problem is, its an Auto matic with injector problems. I want to exchange everything from my old car to my sister car.

The question is, Would The ECU be plug and play? and is there any other Wiring needed?

You can just swap over the entire engine assembly. But i think the EJ8's are sohc vtec (d16y4 or 8 check) whereas EK1's are nonvtec. you can bolt the transmission over.

To add the clutch pedal etc. On the civics they already have the holes there, just covered with a rubber grommet. Just remove and install the same way it was set up in your old civic.

Only thing that will be different is where the shifter goes. To my memory, the auto ones have this extra cover bit compared to the manual civics. They are either bolted on or spot welded, either way not much of an hassle to remove.

Yeah I did abit of research on it, the only issue I'm concern is just the non vetch ecu.

Tamagochi
03-08-2012, 07:57 PM

ECU won't plug and play, the connectors are different. You wouldn't wanna use a GLI ecu on a VTi motor anyway

Oh ok, thank you. Guess I'm better off with just selling the car.

TbM
03-08-2012, 10:12 PM

I think your confusing ek with eg, I have an auto ek and it uses the same engine mounts as a manual.

dorikin
03-08-2012, 11:24 PM
Damn I think you're right

Some nub made me drill out that bracket for his manual conversion and never ended up buying it