PDA

View Full Version : Best coilovers for street use?

ctx
05-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Hello, just wondering what are people's thoughts on the best overall coilovers for a street car? Drive an EK1, no intention on tracking, just street driving. Cheers :)

CRXDEL501
05-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Have a read....

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?164241-coilover-choice&highlight=Street+coilovers

ctx
05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm looking for something cheaper though. I'm looking for something different to that thread. Probably <$1000. Money is pretty tight. I just need something that'll give a decent drop in height that's decently comfortable for everyday use and can still clear speed bumps, as there are heaps where I live. Like I said, no intention on tracking and I have no interest in slamming or camber..

Second hand, what do you recommend?

mugen_ctr
05-08-2012, 11:37 AM
spring + shocks is ur answer, something like koni yellow shocks mated to teins S-tech or Eibachs

ctx
05-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Would it end up costing the same as coilovers?

ceekay101
05-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Bc racing coilovers are around that, but probably slightly over. But once you go coilovers you lose comfort substantially, especially when lowered. I can take you for a spin in my ride if your in sydney, ive got the older generation of bc racing coilovers. I think for the price they're very good, i know of a few cars tracking them and they are happy for what they are.

curtis265
05-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Would it end up costing the same as coilovers?

yes but last twice as long and offer a substantially larger range of damping adjustability

ctx
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Bc racing coilovers are around that, but probably slightly over. But once you go coilovers you lose comfort substantially, especially when lowered. I can take you for a spin in my ride if your in sydney, ive got the older generation of bc racing coilovers. I think for the price they're very good, i know of a few cars tracking them and they are happy for what they are.

I'm in VIC :(

Is the loss in comfort really that substantial? I'd want to retain some of it if possible, hence why I'm looking for non-racing coils. Anyone have opinions on Megans?

ceekay101
05-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Ahhh ok. I Think it is. Factory hondas are pretty smooth, think the dc2r is one of the bumpiest stock cars ive been in and coilovers are heaps worse. But you sacrifice comfort for handling... Or atleast on the cheaper end. Maybe on the super expensive end you can retain some comfort while still getting good perforance.

TbM
05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
spring + shocks is ur answer, something like koni yellow shocks mated to teins S-tech or Eibachs

+1 Im getting koni yellow shocks and ground control sleeves for my ek.

BG-33P
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
i just got some tokico coilovers. Heres a review I just finished writing:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?166801-Tokico-R-Coilovers

They might still be just out of your price (about 1100 shipped) but i reckon the definitely met your requirements.

mugen_ctr
05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
+1 Im getting koni yellow shocks and ground control sleeves for my ek.

Many in the states swear by that setup, an use it alot in autoX so it must be good lol

But OP remember the main difference from coilover vs spring/shock, is for the simple fact that coilovers use a linear spring rate, which is great on track, piss poor on dd car.... which might explain the bumpy ride but than again its also down to the damper settings, where as on all oem and aftermarket springs like teins, kings and eibachs u will find they are the same design, progressive spring rate, fantastic on dd, but also can be just as good as coilover on track.

Considering that comfort is of a priority and adjust-ability and height isnt of importance, best off spending the dough on quality gear than not so good coilovers :thumbsup:

ctx
05-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup:

i just got some tokico coilovers. Heres a review I just finished writing:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?166801-Tokico-R-Coilovers

They might still be just out of your price (about 1100 shipped) but i reckon the definitely met your requirements.

Could you actually comment on your coilovers again in a few months or something to see how you're finding them?

Still, I'm not sure about what to get - budget is a very big factor. I suppose I could trade in all sense of comfort for a drop in height and a small increase in handling while we're at it. What kind of coilovers would I be looking at then?

And does anyone have any thoughts or opinion on Megans? They're a bit cheaper and they seem somewhat popular. Anyone have any experiences with them?

Evok
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
yellow racing coil overs from wholesale suspension sir, 12 month warranty.

DreadAngel
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Many in the states swear by that setup, an use it alot in autoX so it must be good lol

But OP remember the main difference from coilover vs spring/shock, is for the simple fact that coilovers use a linear spring rate, which is great on track, piss poor on dd car.... which might explain the bumpy ride but than again its also down to the damper settings, where as on all oem and aftermarket springs like teins, kings and eibachs u will find they are the same design, progressive spring rate, fantastic on dd, but also can be just as good as coilover on track.

Considering that comfort is of a priority and adjust-ability and height isnt of importance, best off spending the dough on quality gear than not so good coilovers :thumbsup:

Cheap coilovers use Linear, Expensive ones use single/dual digressive [Bilstein/QRS/etc] which give you all the handling you want without the harshness =)

EK1 Civic
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
I got 6kg fronts and 4kg rear coilovers, think they costed me $900. Didn't want anything harsh, since our roads are shit

DreadAngel
05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
6k/4k is alright for double wishbone and average shocks but try that setup in say an EP3/DC5 [Macpherson] and all hell breaks loose unless the shocks are top notch but even then the ride won't be as compliant =(

curtis265
05-08-2012, 08:20 PM
macpherson struts that bad?

kristrifo
05-08-2012, 08:31 PM
Pedders shocks + spring combo, around $1k including install

Imo they're industry standard, so you can't go wrong

DreadAngel
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
macpherson struts that bad?

Macpherson strut is pretty bad...

Its difficult to get much handling increase out of it without reverting to a 'race only' setup. However unlike double wishbone, the compliance isn't up to the standard of double wishbone... The car will skip off imperfections sometimes so bad that it won't compress/rebound [I found out in a nice way with my car's rear breaking out suddenly... Brown pants] =| The forces subjected on the driver/passengers is quite rough too =( I had to go to a very very mild setup [JIC FLT TAR2 7k/5k ---> Shocks and Springs 3.8/3k] and be happy with that increase in handling potential which was adequate when combined with PU bushes, slightly thicker swaybars and RE001s but nothing that would make you go "Oh my".

That's my experience though but seems to be the concensus amongst my old group...

When it comes to tuning, you can get away with harder setup in Double Wishbone unlike Macpherson which with even 1 step incorrect will go from ok to ouch that hurt my pelvis...

curtis265
05-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Oh i see, how interesting. So that twitchyness is all to do with the camber control..?

so thankful i've got double wishbones lol

DreadAngel
05-08-2012, 08:49 PM
That's a part of it, camber and roll center adjustment is limited at best with camber changing from positive - negative during suspension loading/movement in real 'basic' terms. But there is a lot to do with the inherit design differences which seem to give harsh feedback [both force and noise] from the road.

I can survive with harsh setups [My EG had 12k/8k and that was only a little harsh for me but otherwise still ok] but the JIC setup was quite painful on Aussie roads...

90LAN
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
cusco 1 or 2 is good for the street
tien ss is also good

Rolla_Kid
05-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Macpherson strut is pretty bad...

Its difficult to get much handling increase out of it without reverting to a 'race only' setup. However unlike double wishbone, the compliance isn't up to the standard of double wishbone... The car will skip off imperfections sometimes so bad that it won't compress/rebound [I found out in a nice way with my car's rear breaking out suddenly... Brown pants] =| The forces subjected on the driver/passengers is quite rough too =( I had to go to a very very mild setup [JIC FLT TAR2 7k/5k ---> Shocks and Springs 3.8/3k] and be happy with that increase in handling potential which was adequate when combined with PU bushes, slightly thicker swaybars and RE001s but nothing that would make you go "Oh my".

That's my experience though but seems to be the concensus amongst my old group...

When it comes to tuning, you can get away with harder setup in Double Wishbone unlike Macpherson which with even 1 step incorrect will go from ok to ouch that hurt my pelvis...

This is true. you have to build you suspension to be like a race car or it just will be a decent handling car, not a great handling car. The whole suspension setup is a compromise even when its a full on race setup as you have to put a band aid roll centre issues, yet need to have the CoG as low as possible, so stiff and low with an aggressive alignment is the way to go!

Considering my car is approx 900 kilos and I run 6/4k rates, the springs are pretty stiff.. crazy thing is i want to go stiffer! haha

It does pay to have a good set of coilovers though, I know of people with fortune auto's in their corollas with 10/8k springs and they say the ride is fairly compliant...

Also, on a hot version dvd i think there was a DC5R with 16/26k springs which is friggin mental !!!

4age8u
09-08-2012, 09:36 AM
You asked best

So

Ohlins
Bilsteins

Etc be prepared to pay 5k plus

CRXDEL501
09-08-2012, 09:46 AM
No

He said best for under 1k

Benson
09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Check out the GAB SS range

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?157837-BYP-GAB-Suspension-Coilovers-amp-Springs-**Official-Dealer

We had alot of positive feedback with these!

mocchi
09-08-2012, 11:15 AM
You asked best

So

Ohlins
Bilsteins

Etc be prepared to pay 5k plus

No

He said best for under 1k

lmzo

+1 tein ss. under 1k, soft and can lower car. not dumped not stanced.
might need itr rlca $150, tein ss probably around 700-800?

outatime
09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
get eibach shocks and springs for 600 brand new. u just have to buy it from US

gives the car a 2 finger gap and it's very comfortable on the street. I had this in my old EK1.

Indie
09-08-2012, 06:04 PM
I've heard good feedback regarding Tein SS. Pretty good value.

ctx
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
So I'm interested in BC BR's which are slightly over (~$1100 shipped) and seem to get rave reviews all over even months down the track from using them. And as a little bonus the colour is pretty sweet.

So my question is, does anyone here have them? Any comments, thoughts, opinions? I'd be eager to hear from anyone, especially those with EK/EMs :)

jajaja
12-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Ive got some. Bought them second hand from someone here. I have to say i am absolutely loving them right now. Much more better than my spring and shock combo. The ability to change the damper is great to and with 32 settings what more could you want. It is a tiny bit stiff for dailying but you only notice that on crazy bumps. When you turn the car has less body roll and with the addition of some swah bars you will get close to zero body roll. Cant say much about track use yet as i havent been yet but im assuming theyll perform well enough for those occassions.

ctx
12-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Ive got some. Bought them second hand from someone here. I have to say i am absolutely loving them right now. Much more better than my spring and shock combo. The ability to change the damper is great to and with 32 settings what more could you want. It is a tiny bit stiff for dailying but you only notice that on crazy bumps. When you turn the car has less body roll and with the addition of some swah bars you will get close to zero body roll. Cant say much about track use yet as i havent been yet but im assuming theyll perform well enough for those occassions.

How long have you had yours on for, and how many k's do you think you've done on them? Do you have a build thread or pictures or anything of your setup? I've come to understand that coilovers are a tradeoff with comfort one way or another so I'll have to make a compromise whether I like it or not, just depends how much comfort I lose. How's the ride on bad roads and speed bumps (big ones and small metal ones), are they bearable?

jajaja
12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
How long have you had yours on for, and how many k's do you think you've done on them? Do you have a build thread or pictures or anything of your setup? I've come to understand that coilovers are a tradeoff with comfort one way or another so I'll have to make a compromise whether I like it or not, just depends how much comfort I lose. How's the ride on bad roads and speed bumps (big ones and small metal ones), are they bearable?

I have had mine on for a month-ish. Previous owner had put on 15k kms and ive done maybe 1-2k kms? Yeah i do have a build thread on the civic section somewhere lol. Comfort level is different for everyone. For me i prefer to feel the road a bit so its perfect. And yeh there is a pretty big jump from stock shock to coilovers considering comfort but if you want better handling its worth it. On bumpy roads and speed bumps its bareable depending on how fast you take them lol. If you rock the coilovers close to the softest setting i think you should be okay.

ctx
12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I have had mine on for a month-ish. Previous owner had put on 15k kms and ive done maybe 1-2k kms? Yeah i do have a build thread on the civic section somewhere lol. Comfort level is different for everyone. For me i prefer to feel the road a bit so its perfect. And yeh there is a pretty big jump from stock shock to coilovers considering comfort but if you want better handling its worth it. On bumpy roads and speed bumps its bareable depending on how fast you take them lol. If you rock the coilovers close to the softest setting i think you should be okay.

Oh wait, your car! I've been loosely following your thread, it's posted on other forums too right? JDMST I think?

Anyway off topic, if anyone has any experiences with BC BR's please share :)

jajaja
13-08-2012, 01:41 PM
^haha yep!

dc2screama
21-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Bumpoo!
Any reviews on d2 coilovers for a integra?
Just after a street set..

bladed_yoshii
21-09-2012, 09:08 PM
man i just put coils in my ek i bought some gabs of benny from byp and the n drove back to bris with them and to be honest i thought they rode better than my strut spring combo

blabla
21-09-2012, 09:26 PM
+1 for the Gab ss coilovers.

CivicEGSI
21-09-2012, 11:45 PM
This thread is like saying what apple is the best. M8 just pick one that looks good and buy that shit.

connorling
22-09-2012, 12:11 AM
AST is very good for street/track, i use it on my s2000 and love it.

Tein HA for my track spec civic, too harsh on the road, but not bad on the track.

Adamjoeldavis
22-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Bumpoo!
Any reviews on d2 coilovers for a integra?
Just after a street set..

Do not buy D2 Racing Coilovers, what I heard they crack at the mounts, they can leak pretty easy. I was gonna buy them but after I heard that, he reccommed me into Yellow Koni Sport Shocks with Ground control coilovers. But I am using my Civic as a street legal track car.

aurnob88
22-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Just buy the proved and tested koni yellow with ground control.
It gives u easy control of shock damping and u can customise spring rates from the eBay sellers. So ask for ur special spring rate and adjust shocks to ur liking

TbM
22-09-2012, 02:45 PM
It gives u easy control of shock damping and u can customise spring rates from the eBay sellers. So ask for ur special spring rate and adjust shocks to ur liking
+1

Ive got the koni/gc combo and i highly recommend it.

ctx
02-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Guys, what are your thoughts on Function and Form Type Ones? They're cheaper than BC BR's (I looked up US prices, silly me)

TheSaint
02-10-2012, 09:38 PM
D2 coilovers arnt bad for the price

skunk2 sport shocks + tein s-tech springs is a good combo as well

Indie
02-10-2012, 11:43 PM
What's the best price on a Koni/GC setup at the moment?

aurnob88
03-10-2012, 12:34 AM
What's the best price on a Koni/GC setup at the moment?

eBAY..

menacer
03-10-2012, 08:56 AM

agreed. im running konis and kings.. and the only thing i would consider changing is springrate. so konis and your exact choice of spring rate would be perfect setup.. keep coilovers to the track only. theres not enough pros to outweigh the cons for street use..

fatboyz39
03-10-2012, 09:20 AM
GAB SS for street/weekend twisties.

zarko
03-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Perfect for street imo

JDM-derek
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
chop springs ;)

DreadAngel
10-10-2012, 12:10 AM
D2s are ****, stupid spring rates with hopeless dampers/valvings! Just like the rest of those like it aren't worth considering... Yes I've had them in the past with my EG... Previous to that I had Koni Yellows with KG/mm Springs [DR spec I think] let the car handle much better in all condition AND inspire confidence that the tyres will remain in contact not float over bumps...

Sure they give you that 'stiff' ride but hell if you believe that better suspension performance equates to having your pelvis crushed, bones rattled, car riding like a rodeo ride and banging your head on the roof of your car then I've got nothing to say...

You want control which gives you confidence not simply force and stiffness...

Spring rates you don't need to go so hard for pure street use, for say an EG/EK/EM </~4kg/mm and </~3kg/mm proportionally will be enough =) You use swaybars, suspension bushing and suspension/wheel alignment to increase the suspension performance without having to destroy ride and comfort in the process.

aurnob88
10-10-2012, 12:18 AM
D2s are ****, stupid spring rates with hopeless dampers/valvings! Just like the rest of those like it aren't worth considering... Yes I've had them in the past with my EG... Koni Yellows with KG/mm Springs [DR spec I think] let the car handle much better in all condition AND inspire confidence that the tyres will remain in contact not float over bumps...

Sure they give you that 'stiff' ride but hell if you believe that better suspension performance equates to having your pelvis crushed, bones rattled, car riding like a rodeo ride and banging your head on the roof of your car then I've got nothing to say...

You want control which gives you confidence not simply force and stiffness...

Spring rates you don't need to go so hard for pure street use, for say an EG/EK/EM </~4kg/mm and </~3kg/mm proportionally will be enough =) You use swaybars, suspension bushing and suspension/wheel alignment to increase the suspension performance without having to destroy ride and comfort in the process.

well said. btw wat are the stock spring rates again. 4kg front and 3kg rear seems reasonable. and yeah, basically get a bigger rear swaybar, master bushin kit and a good allighnmet. (chasis bracing never hurt)

DreadAngel
10-10-2012, 12:36 AM
well said. btw wat are the stock spring rates again. 4kg front and 3kg rear seems reasonable. and yeah, basically get a bigger rear swaybar, master bushin kit and a good allighnmet. (chasis bracing never hurt)

Yup, 4kg Front and 3kg Rear if you're using something like Koni Yellows, some dampers/shocks have their own preferences too, Bilsteins seem to like slightly higher spring rates [Say 4.5-5kg and 3.5-4kg?]. But yeah 4kg/3kg I think is just about right for EG/EK/EM. I haven't played with Integras or Preludes that much yet so unsure if 4/3 will work with them...

Swaybar wise, match the front and rear to your preference, you don't want the rear to be too happy in a FF ;) Neutral - Mild Understeer is about perfect for me personally but some guys actually drive better with understeer bias, some want the understeer to be not so strong. Best way is to find someone with similiar setup you have/want or speak to your preferred suspension specialist and see what they recommend.

The rest you got spot on =)

P.S Tyres just as important ;) Cause that's what your car is holding onto the road with afterall hehe =)

aurnob88
10-10-2012, 01:03 AM
Yup, 4kg Front and 3kg Rear if you're using something like Koni Yellows, some dampers/shocks have their own preferences too, Bilsteins seem to like slightly higher spring rates [Say 4.5-5kg and 3.5-4kg?]. But yeah 4kg/3kg I think is just about right for EG/EK/EM. I haven't played with Integras or Preludes that much yet so unsure if 4/3 will work with them...

Swaybar wise, match the front and rear to your preference, you don't want the rear to be too happy in a FF ;) Neutral - Mild Understeer is about perfect for me personally but some guys actually drive better with understeer bias, some want the understeer to be not so strong. Best way is to find someone with similiar setup you have/want or speak to your preferred suspension specialist and see what they recommend.

The rest you got spot on =)

P.S Tyres just as important ;) Cause that's what your car is holding onto the road with afterall hehe =)

Yeah definitely. I like a car which has sharp turn in and oversteers thus just a bigger rear swaybar would do for me, maybe just replace front sway bar bushes for more optimal front swaybar operation.

Otherwise yeah, just a decent set of sticky tyres (Potenza's, KU31's etc) should do.

By the way, what springs did you use? Ground Control?

DreadAngel
10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
In the past I've used:
- KG/mm DR Proceed [EG]
- RS*R [EG]
- Tein S-Tech [AE111]
- JIC X-Magic [AE111]

Best one I've driven in though is definitely Swift Springs, I've driven them mated to coilovers and shocks, it really is like that said... No sag! Guess that's why they cost some 20-40% more than your average lowering springs lol...

I personally haven't used Ground Control... So no comment on them =P I'm quite conservative when it comes to height etc... Prefer to lower the car just enough so you can tell visibly it's lowered on closer inspection, like to preserve my roll centre and I don't have to do the hecktic kebab moves over humps, on ramps, etc lol

aurnob88
10-10-2012, 11:03 AM
In the past I've used:
- KG/mm DR Proceed [EG]
- RS*R [EG]
- Tein S-Tech [AE111]
- JIC X-Magic [AE111]

Best one I've driven in though is definitely Swift Springs, I've driven them mated to coilovers and shocks, it really is like that said... No sag! Guess that's why they cost some 20-40% more than your average lowering springs lol...

I personally haven't used Ground Control... So no comment on them =P I'm quite conservative when it comes to height etc... Prefer to lower the car just enough so you can tell visibly it's lowered on closer inspection, like to preserve my roll centre and I don't have to do the hecktic kebab moves over humps, on ramps, etc lol

So all those springs came with those spring rates

DreadAngel
10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Similar, higher or lower by 0.5kg =), all felt great, handling was beautifully balanced with the rest of my setup =)

dc2screama
09-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Any thoughts or opinions on function and form coilovers type 1?

aurnob88
09-11-2012, 04:46 PM

not great.

joeyybruh
09-11-2012, 05:18 PM
great info here guys , I myself am looking for a set of coilovers for the EG .. hearing some great things about the koni and GC setup .. that or BC coilovers , cusco zero 2 or buddyclub N +

any thoughts guys ?

mocchi
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
koni wyn

great info hear guise

ctx
09-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Hey mate, I was interested in Type 1's as well for a bit. Good price on eBay (all up just under $800 posted). Ultimately what stopped me from getting them was the spring rate (10 front, 6 rear) which is somewhat harsh on the street depending on who you are, and the lack of dampening adjustment, meaning you were stuck with one stiffness setting only. Type 2's have dampening adjustment, but they're about $200 more. That, and who knows what kind of headaches you'd be experiencing dealing with customer service and warranty issues that are stationed overseas.

JDM Yard is currently selling GAB SS coilovers for $880 shipped on here for EG/EK/DC which is stupidly cheap. I've ridden in them with 10/6 and on soft dampening (can't remember exact lol) Feels good. Bumpy but bearable, but then again I haven't ridden a whole lot in them -> http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?169821-GAB-Coilovers-From-880-*JDMyard*

BTW, I am OP who started this thread. So for those who want to know what I ended up with, I ended up settling for a used custom spring/shock combo for mega cheap. Feels awesome. It still rides like factory, but you feel the road more. I'm yet to take it for more drives to get a better impression but for now I'm liking it a lot. There's about a 3 finger gap between the guard and the tyre.

Great to know this thread has been useful to people! :)

TbM
09-11-2012, 09:15 PM
koni wyn

great info hear guise

I agry, I've got the koni/gc combo and its great, lots of height and damper adjustment and you can choose your spring rates. rides well on the street imo.

aurnob88
09-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Hey mate, I was interested in Type 1's as well for a bit. Good price on eBay (all up just under $800 posted). Ultimately what stopped me from getting them was the spring rate (10 front, 6 rear) which is somewhat harsh on the street depending on who you are, and the lack of dampening adjustment, meaning you were stuck with one stiffness setting only. Type 2's have dampening adjustment, but they're about $200 more. That, and who knows what kind of headaches you'd be experiencing dealing with customer service and warranty issues that are stationed overseas.

JDM Yard is currently selling GAB SS coilovers for $880 shipped on here for EG/EK/DC which is stupidly cheap. I've ridden in them with 10/6 and on soft dampening (can't remember exact lol) Feels good. Bumpy but bearable, but then again I haven't ridden a whole lot in them -&gt; http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?169821-GAB-Coilovers-From-880-*JDMyard*

BTW, I am OP who started this thread. So for those who want to know what I ended up with, I ended up settling for a used custom spring/shock combo for mega cheap. Feels awesome. It still rides like factory, but you feel the road more. I'm yet to take it for more drives to get a better impression but for now I'm liking it a lot. There's about a 3 finger gap between the guard and the tyre.

Great to know this thread has been useful to people! :)

What the specs

zapantalambda
10-11-2012, 08:52 PM
G'day mateys. Just a question.
Do you think a KONIs shocks + King Springs combination would be alright for my ride ?

Description: Honda Civic 1992 EG Model 4 doors
Mileage: 200k
Condition: Worn-out shocks

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t122/neiltagaro/civicjpg.jpg

aurnob88
10-11-2012, 09:01 PM
G'day mateys. Just a question.
Do you think a KONIs shocks + King Springs combination would be alright for my ride ?

Description: Honda Civic 1992 EG Model 4 doors
Mileage: 200k
Condition: Worn-out shocks

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t122/neiltagaro/civicjpg.jpg

Yes it'll be much better than now. Rather get a different set of springs like Eibach Type R prokits etc

ctx
10-11-2012, 09:03 PM
What the specs

The car with GAB SS?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?163652-Uni-Budget-EK1

menacer
11-11-2012, 07:42 AM
i'm running a koni + kings setup on the teg. im quite happy with it.. as I've said previously tho spring rate isnt exactly what I'd like but for the price I'm happy.

zapantalambda
11-11-2012, 11:58 PM
So im looking at KONIs shocks + King Springs combination.
Question is, whats another option other than King springs?

aurnob88
13-11-2012, 08:16 PM

Eibach pro kits springs for DC2R

curtis265
13-11-2012, 08:21 PM

any spring u like

eibach pro kit

ground control sleeves

anything

zapantalambda
14-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I'll be getting my KONI shocks + King Springs combo this week.
I just wanna ask - Any Tips / Suggestions before i install those things to my civic?
Thanks.

zapantalambda
21-11-2012, 10:52 PM
i'll be getting my koni shocks + king springs combo this week.
I just wanna ask - any tips / suggestions before i install those things to my civic?
Thanks.

repost.

JDM DC2R
21-11-2012, 11:07 PM
The point of a coil over is to adjust height stiffness extra to the track condition. So you can squeeze every extra 10th of a second from your lap.

So the best coil over for "road use only" is no coil over. Just buy lowering spring and shock.

As for the tips. Use a spring compressor tool. And get a wheel alignment after woulds!!!!

curtis265
29-11-2012, 11:28 PM
coilover means spring over shock, you've got the same misconception as everyone else. it doesn't necessarily mean height adjustability

PHO
19-10-2014, 05:34 PM
kwv3 best

PJT
19-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm just about to install yellows and kings. Didn't really wanna **** around with heaps of adjustability... And koni=quality.

amant02
19-10-2014, 09:02 PM
I like my Tiens. Very comfy for daily.