PDA

View Full Version : Engine Swap or ITR

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Hey guys,

So i recently bought a GSI, ive had it for about three weeks now... But now i want more power HAH go figure...

Anyways im thinking about doing an engine swap to a b18c type r or even a k-swap. But not sure which to go, anyone with this experience can throw me suggestions based on the fact there no budget atm?? Any figures or ideas will be appreciated!!

OR ill just buy a ITR straight out instead of doing a swap.... What do you guys think?? Im leaning towards just buying a ITR...

integraR
05-08-2012, 02:50 PM
It all depends on your budget

Kswap would set you back 10k plus and on top of that the labour as well

I think the best option is to get the ITR as its pretty much straight out the box when you buy it you won't be needing to do anyengine swaps

Also it comes with 5 stud, recarros, reinforced chassis and struts where as the dc4 doesn't

However it is hard these days to find a mint/decent itr

Also the itr stands on the pedalstool

But at the end of the day you car your call

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Really leaning towards the ITR, but as you said it will be hard as hell to find a mint/decent one. But i always have and still do want to own an ITR haha.

BTW what are struts??

What do you think about a b18c conversion just for now??

ceekay101
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
Think about the money you will spend on a type r swap... Your car + itr swap + 5 stud + recaros, youd be better off buying a type r. That way if you sell it you will get most of the money back. Then once you tire of the b18c7 maybe some mods/boost or whatever. Unless you have an attachment to your current car id just buy a clean type r.

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 03:36 PM
What about a standard vtir engine swap? What ya think?

connorling
05-08-2012, 03:42 PM
definately buy a ITR instead, not just the brakes, 5 studs reinforced chassic, the exterior is different, suspension is different, rear low control arms are different, dash is different, recaro seats etc..........

the other option might be LS/Vtec?

connorling
05-08-2012, 03:44 PM
What about a standard vtir engine swap? What ya think?

spend the extra, get the type R engine, the difference between vtir and type R worth more than the extra costs.

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 04:01 PM
The only reason im looking to a engine swap is because my rings on my gsi are worn out and are pretty much ****ed. So i want to do an engine swap as a cheaper alternative to basically get rid of the problem istead of having to rebuild the engine

dc2r-0636
05-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Get ur self a low k b18B motor and turbo it, low comp motor is good for turbo

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
still on my P's so i cant exactly use turbo, not legally anyway

dc2r-0636
05-08-2012, 04:43 PM
No one will suspect a GSi with a black cooler

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Hah, maybe ill do that. But i've never done anything like that before.... or anything to deal with cars to that extent... dunno if i should hah

butterfingers
05-08-2012, 05:06 PM
The only reason im looking to a engine swap is because my rings on my gsi are worn out and are pretty much ****ed. So i want to do an engine swap as a cheaper alternative to basically get rid of the problem istead of having to rebuild the engine

Wait so do you want more power, or is "the only reason your dling an engine swap is because the rings in your gsi are fried"?

How did you fry your rings?

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Wait so do you want more power, or is "the only reason your dling an engine swap is because the rings in your gsi are fried"?

How did you fry your rings?

Dont get me wrong i do want more power, that could lead me to just buy an ITR. OR i can get more power with a engine swap. Either way im getting out of this rings problem...

I have no ****ing idea how... it was fine, then suddenly it happened..

DTN
05-08-2012, 06:55 PM
ITR would be more worth it since you get all those extras but eventually you'll feel that itll be slow as well haha

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Mmm what should i do in the mean time with this ****ed up ring ==

butterfingers
05-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Dont get me wrong i do want more power, that could lead me to just buy an ITR. OR i can get more power with a engine swap. Either way im getting out of this rings problem...

I have no ****ing idea how... it was fine, then suddenly it happened..

Things never suddenly happen m8. No engine failure is inevitable lol

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Its pretty old i guess. Im thinking of just going with a b18c conversion for now since i dont have the money to fork out to get an ITR straight up

I bought this car as a daily but now its spewing blue smoke every morning cause of ring faliure...

Anyone know the rough cost of a b18c?

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?166769-Must-sell!!-JDM-type-r-motor!!

keen on that

Benson
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I'd go the K-swap option!

Shoot me a PM if you want prices on complete drop in package

NeedVtec
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Get ur self a low k b18B motor and turbo it, low comp motor is good for turbo

agreed. get a snail.

eLtrix
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Anyone know the rough costs for a b18c and whats mainly needed? Just brief info

charliebrown
05-08-2012, 10:24 PM
agreed. get a snail.

snail trail

Johnie
06-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Iv'e seen b18c go for about $4000, for cheaper option go for b18c2 vti-r motor? they go for about $2000.

I need a new engine for my jdm front vti-r and couldnt find one so i just striped it and kept all the goodies sell the rest. as really couldnt be bother getting another roadworthy and paying $700 reg.. price went up in vic..

infurNOS
06-08-2012, 01:06 AM
Wouldnt waste money putting a VTiR motor in a GSI when you can buy a VTiR Integra for a couple of k more.

Why has noone suggested a B20 conversion? Best bang for buck IMHO if you want to go the NA route..

Johnie
06-08-2012, 01:35 AM
How much do b20 go for and is it b20b8 from the crv?

infurNOS
06-08-2012, 01:57 AM
How much do b20 go for and is it b20b8 from the crv?

Yea, not too sure on exact cost of the entire swap, but it will probably work out a little bit more expensive than an ITR swap. You need a b20b/z block, VTEC head, b18 or 16 gearbox, VTEC conversion kit and all other parts + tune to make it work.

Still will produce more power AND TORQUE and be a lot more enjoyable to drive especially if matched with a b16 box with LSD than an ITR swap.

I just think it is better value for money for the reliability and power output of a B20 conversion.

Search the All Motor section for B20 VTEC Conversions etc.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?125942-The-B20VTEC-discussion-thread/page4&highlight=b20

^^ good info on that page and thread

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 12:09 PM
So i've done some calls around for b18c,b16a and b18b(engine block just to replace mine). Why i havent looked into b20bvtec conversion is cause i personally dont have the experience to do a good job tbh and well i believe it would be out of my budget.

Anyways so from the calls ive made i can get:
b18c - $3000 - whole conversion 170ks
b16a - $2000 - whole conversion 150ks
b18b - $400 - just my engine block

What do you guys think i should roll with? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

dc2r-0636
06-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Just get b18b..

U will get the vtec motor and be like wow is that it?

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Also found a jdm b18c-si ??? for 2.4 whole kit. 150ks

charliebrown
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Just get b18b..

U will get the vtec motor and be like wow is that it?

this

you said on first page u had no budget. now u say b20 is out of budget?

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 02:28 PM
this

you said on first page u had no budget. now u say b20 is out of budget?

assuming i had no budget was to pick the best option to go to, i simply wanted opinions

charliebrown
06-08-2012, 02:34 PM
imo just slap in a cheap b18b2 engine for few hundred. spend the money you would have otherwise spent on engine on sussy. makes driving heaps more fun than simple straight line power.

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 02:42 PM
err whats a sussy?? sorry if thats a super noob question lol

charliebrown
06-08-2012, 02:46 PM
suspension.

coilovers/shock spring combo, good tyres, thicker rear sway bar are what i'd go for on a dc4

Latino CRX
06-08-2012, 03:17 PM
this is what i dont understand is .. you say that you want to upgrade engine, or get ITR

if you already the finance or can get the finances why didnt you just buy a ITR to start with and
save you all this crap of asking questions and fried rings ????

my 2 cents <(o.0)>

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 03:19 PM
this is what i dont understand is .. you say that you want to upgrade engine, or get ITR

if you already the finance or can get the finances why didnt you just buy a ITR to start with and

my 2 cents <(o.0)>

i dont currently have the finances, its a theoretical question. IF i had the money i wouldve just bought a ITR off the bat instead of a b18b dc4.

Ive already gotten an dc4, and i want to see what my options are now either deal with my problem and save money for an ITR or just do an engine swap

butterfingers
06-08-2012, 03:22 PM

my 2 cents <(o.0)>

bacause doing that doesnt garner sympathy and encouragemen from the masses

Latino CRX
06-08-2012, 03:23 PM
if you want to save money for ITR .. my guess would be to either find the cost to get the DC4 fixed or pick up a cheap DC4 motor and just replace it
.. I put a B18c in my DA9, needed a whole half cut from wiring harness , computer , shift linkages, then had to go Hasport Mounts etc etc list goes on ..

charliebrown
06-08-2012, 03:26 PM
dreamers gonna dream

we all did it... no money and big aspirations

connorling
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
This doesn't make sense. Started off no budget, then ITR swap is over budget, then engine swap it u want power, but u have no money........ If u want power and cost of a b18c2 swap, sell ur current car, get a 180sx auto c18a det ....

curtis265
06-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Mmm what should i do in the mean time with this ****ed up ring ==

did you run out of oil? Were u burning before?

charliebrown
06-08-2012, 03:30 PM

too much non vtec through cabra

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 03:41 PM
This doesn't make sense. Started off no budget, then ITR swap is over budget, then engine swap it u want power, but u have no money........ If u want power and cost of a b18c2 swap, sell ur current car, get a 180sx auto c18a det ....

Holy god damn, read the previous posts. The INITIAL QUESTION was THEORETICAL as to what was best for me to best. Realistically i could afford a b18c or b18cr SWAP if i chose that course of action. OR i save up and buy an ITR straight up since it does come with all the extras. i never considered a b20 and since once of the other posters state that it costs more that an itr swap and is a lot more technical i decided to avoid it completely. I wanted to know the best way to go assuming i had no budget, and now im finding out the cheaper alternative along side with the high end cost route.

Didnt run out of oil, and i wasn't started to happen about a week after i got the car

too much non vtec through cabra
not even sure what this comment even means. good stuff making yourself helpful

if you want to save money for ITR .. my guess would be to either find the cost to get the DC4 fixed or pick up a cheap DC4 motor and just replace it
.. I put a B18c in my DA9, needed a whole half cut from wiring harness , computer , shift linkages, then had to go Hasport Mounts etc etc list goes on ..

i have does this, the cost of getting the car fix was approx 1.5k w/ labour, where as if i just do a b18b straight engine swap it will cost me something like 800 w/ labour. or i can swap out to a jdm b18c for about 3k w/ labour. Saving for an ITR is still a long shot considering im a full time uni student, not much time to work. So i figured id wack in the jdm b18c for now to satisfy myself until i get the ITR

butterfingers
06-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Didnt run out of oil, and i wasn't started to happen about a week after i got the car

not even sure what this comment even means. good stuff making yourself helpful

fried piston rings dont "just" happen inevitably, regardless of age. something must have caused it whether it was over heating due to a whole heap of reasons caused from lack of maintenance.

idk what too much non vtec means from charliebrowns post but on another note, granny driving+91 ron fuel can lead to carbon deposits in the long run. that leads to all kinds of symptoms and one of them is fried rings, leaking gaskets etc.

if we know the cause of it we might be able to help you better

Latino CRX
06-08-2012, 04:54 PM
when you say wack in the JDM B18c does that come with everything to do the conversion?
cause i had the same mind when i wanted to swap mine and then reality came into play and
realised i had to get more than what i expected ..

im not attacking you on this im trying to help .. if you want i can inbox everything that i had to get
and had to do for my conversion to be done *PROPERLY* without any dramas or complaining that something
aint working right or gone in right ..

DreadAngel
06-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Just save up and buy the right car in the first place =)

Bus n Train it for a while haha

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 05:53 PM
fried piston rings dont "just" happen inevitably, regardless of age. something must have caused it whether it was over heating due to a whole heap of reasons caused from lack of maintenance.

idk what too much non vtec means from charliebrowns post but on another note, granny driving+91 ron fuel can lead to carbon deposits in the long run. that leads to all kinds of symptoms and one of them is fried rings, leaking gaskets etc.

if we know the cause of it we might be able to help you better

Id love to tell you the cause of it. But i honestly dont know. Ive had the car for almost a month now. It started to happen after 1 week of having the car in my hands. The day before, drove like normal, hardly ever rev it up high , usually go up to about 3 and then change gears. So as for how it happened. I have no ****ing clue which really pisses me off

when you say wack in the JDM B18c does that come with everything to do the conversion?
cause i had the same mind when i wanted to swap mine and then reality came into play and

im not attacking you on this im trying to help .. if you want i can inbox everything that i had to get
and had to do for my conversion to be done *PROPERLY* without any dramas or complaining that something

Well the engine is coming from a wreck, so i get everything out of it, from the engine to the ecu and gear box etc.

What else would i need to drop the box in? Your help is greatly appreciated

Just save up and buy the right car in the first place =)

Bus n Train it for a while haha

A bit late for that considering i already have a dc4, sure i can save up from here and get the ITR i've always wanted but i have an issue with my current car so im looking to do an engine swap

tripleuse
06-08-2012, 06:01 PM

no one suspects the dc4 kswap :)

eLtrix
06-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Also clear inbox :)

Indie
07-08-2012, 04:05 AM

I have no ****ing idea how... it was fine, then suddenly it happened..Granny shiftin', not double clutchin' like you should. You're lucky that hundred shot of NOS didn't blow the welds on the intake. Now, me and the mad scientist got to rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried.

mocchi
07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
just swap it with another b2. total should cost under $800 inc labour.
then sell your gsi and buy itr since gsi go for 13k anyway isnt that right cb.

eLtrix
07-08-2012, 12:06 PM
just swap it with another b2. total should cost under $800 inc labour.
then sell your gsi and buy itr since gsi go for 13k anyway isnt that right cb.

Lol wtf at this

mocchi
07-08-2012, 02:11 PM
Lol wtf at this

1st line srs
2nd line natsrs

how much is your budget anyway?
the amount youre comfortable spending away for this plan.

eLtrix
07-08-2012, 03:00 PM
about 4k atm.