PDA

View Full Version : Can I replace my Honda 98 accord power steering pump o-Ring while in car

newthinker2000
05-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Can I replace this leaking the O-ring on the attached picture as an in ca Job? I'm worried that something more than the o-ring may spring out of the pump housing after I remove the pump housing cover.

Please Help

Jasemas
05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Besides power steering fluid all over your engine bay - unless you bleed it
Should be good

newthinker2000
05-08-2012, 08:34 PM
Thanks for your help.

I'm also wondering If you think I will need to replace the o-ring in this second picture as well too because of the leak coming out of the the side of the pump cover.

Jasemas
06-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Good preventative measure (just been googling)
Buy all the O-rings from your Honda Dealer and some p/s fluid
Drain your fluid from the reservoir and clean the filter at the bottom - hot water and a hot day (make sure its dry when you fill it up)
While at it do ALL the O-rings in the p/s
http://tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x98-023e.pdf - should help
Good luck

newthinker2000
06-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks again Jasemas

Is it still safe to replace the two o-rings without removing the pump, do the job in car?

bennjamin
06-08-2012, 07:47 AM
No , it is not. The pump impeller has multiple loose "blades" that sit inside grooves , you may accidentally remove the housing and drop bits everywhere!

Please drain the fluid, remove pump and get on a clean bench and take it apart properly.

Note you also want it clean to avoid getting any dirt / grit in the pump housing or grommet etc. Taking the pump out helps avoid this.

newthinker2000
17-08-2012, 12:33 AM
Hello, I was able to do it as an in car job I had taking some blades out of a second hand one and replaced them into the car on a second hand hub as well, I think I had placed the blades all facing outside with the round part to the outer, but did not double check the blades when I put them in while attached to the hub, and as my brother tends to freak out a little when working on our car, the nerves brushed off onto me and caused me to not double check, but if I had not pointed the blades with the curved ends facing out it wouldn't make a bit of a noise, is that right as it seems to sound pretty quiet and I don't want to take the hub and the blades out again as I will have to buy a new gasket, just unsure please tell me am I on the mark if there is no loud noises or could the blades be still facing the wrong way?

Thanks