PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating wheels

euRo_noob
06-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Hey guys,

Just a few questions:

Has anyone powder coated 1 piece wheels?
Would you powder coat TE's?
Does the value of the wheel go down or anything?
Any good place in Melbourne that does powder coating?

I just want to know cause I might want to go a different colour for my TE's in the future or would it just be better off to sell it and buy a new set?

Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated as I don't know anything about the process besides sandblast + powder coat.

Thank you.

Killa From Manila
08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
apparently powder coating can weaken the wheels as theyre subjected to high heats which changes the properties of the wheel

spray painting would be the way to go

markismaximus
08-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Powder coat curing rates vary between 180-210 deg Celsius. Given most wheels are manufactured at higher temps than this (cast or forged) its unlikely powder coating cure temps will reduce the strength of the wheel.

euRo_noob
08-08-2012, 08:42 PM
I think I read somewhere that they said it could weaken the wheel as it sprays sand at a high velocity but I don't think that applies for TE37's.
I have TE's and I just want to know if I wanted to change the colour, what is the proper way to do so or would I have to just find a set already made in that colour.

If I were to spray paint, I'd get it sandblasted first then take it to some place to professionally paint it?

markismaximus
08-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Sand blasting removes only the thinnest layer of surface material, microns to be specific. Less than 0.1mm. This will not reduce the strength of the wheels.

integraR
08-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Don't you have the black te's
you could try posting it up and sell to see the amount of interest nd if it goes for amount you want then so be it
If it doesn't work you would then consider power coating it...

euRo_noob
08-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Sand blasting removes only the thinnest layer of surface material, microns to be specific. Less than 0.1mm. This will not reduce the strength of the wheels.

Ohh ok, thought so. Knew the guy that said that didn't know sh*t LOl.

Don't you have the black te's
you could try posting it up and sell to see the amount of interest nd if it goes for amount you want then so be it
If it doesn't work you would then consider power coating it...

Yeah, I currently have black TE's but I wanted to change the colour maybe in the future to go for a different look so just trying to find out some information as to how I would do it now if I can.

I would post them up for sale but thing is, my front specs aren't that great and they're a big sized wheel so most Nissan owners etc probably wouldn't be too keen which might be too much of a hassle to try sell.

chargeR
08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Powder coat curing rates vary between 180-210 deg Celsius. Given most wheels are manufactured at higher temps than this (cast or forged) its unlikely powder coating cure temps will reduce the strength of the wheel.

That's some pretty simplistic logic. I've posted in a few threads like this, but the short version is that many aluminium wheels are heat treated at relatively low temperatures after being cast or forged and extended elevated temperatures like those encountered in a powdercoat oven can over-age the material and reduce its strength. Adding to this surface finish plays a role in the strength of component and the rough finish of a sandblasted surface could reduce the strength and fatigue resistance of the wheel.

Are these effects significant though, I can't say. I sure don't want a wheel to break on me though.

rossirider
08-08-2012, 10:33 PM
How hot do wheels get on the track with the brake pads/calipers taking a beating, rubber heating up and sometimes the air temp can be 40+?

markismaximus
09-08-2012, 12:26 PM
any material engineers on here want to shed some light?

chargeR
09-08-2012, 01:51 PM
any material engineers on here want to shed some light?

One (non-practicing) already did.

eg5civic
09-08-2012, 04:52 PM
extended elevated temperatures like those encountered in a powdercoat

Do you know how long they stay in the oven for? A quick search has shown around 10-15minutes at 200deg is the general time spent in the oven.... I dont think thats quite hot enough for long enough to cause excessive aging of the material

have a read through this link : http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-solutions/Pages/aluminum-faqs-detail.aspx

With heat treatable aluminum alloys, the last heat treatment step heats the metal to approximately 400° F. But when welding, the material around the weld becomes much hotter than 400° F so the material tends to lose some of its mechanical properties. Therefore, if the operator doesn't perform post-weld heat treatments after welding, the area around the weld will become significantly weaker than the rest of the aluminum - by as much as 30 to 40 percent. If the operator does perform post weld heat treatments, the proprieties of a heat treatable aluminum alloy can be improved.

Most "2 peice wheels" are actually a 3 piece as the front and rear of the barrell are welded together, so if anything cutting and rebarrelling wheels is alot more dangerous if done incorrectly, than powder coating. Powder coating would actually be doing the same thing as the last heat treatment step. Cant see it making a huge difference.

At the end of the day heaps of people have powdercoated rims (TE37's included) and i myself have had a set of rims powder coated, took them on spirited drives, hit potholes, daily driven on them and they never broke and they were only linea mesh (replicas of bbs) so i think your forged te's will be fine

curtis265
09-08-2012, 05:50 PM
it's a lot to do with the original crystalline structure of the metal. If they're cheap/replica rims they're probably less delicate than proper forged rims.

I daresay even 15min at 200deg can change the structure

markismaximus
09-08-2012, 07:42 PM
Dulux*Powder*Coatings*Duralloy®*XT have a cure time of:

Metal Temperature(°C) Time (minutes)
210________________________4 minutes
200________________________5 minutes
180________________________8 minutes