PDA

View Full Version : Help on modding my FD2

David321
07-08-2012, 02:13 PM
hey guys i was just wondering what mods i can do my car up to increase the power n torque so that its more enjoyable to drive.
i was thinking of getting a injen CAI but if i do get that id have to get a type R intake manifold and a ECU to tune it.
Any ideas how much power id get out of these mods roughly and will i feel the difference in low to high rpms and it is worth the money?

curtis265
07-08-2012, 02:24 PM
worth is your opinion.

you will feel a difference in high RPM.

save the tune till you've got all the mods you want

apart from that, you're not going to gain a lot out of that engine unfortuantely

David321
07-08-2012, 02:47 PM
oh ok i thought fd2 engines the k20z were good for modding as compared to the R18's as what i heard.

i spoke to the guys at jdmyard and they said you will feel a difference overall in power and torque, low - high rpm with the Injen CAI, FD2 type R intake manifold + ECU tune.
i mean i just want to feel that little bit of extra power and torque but not overly done due to budget wise.
And what other mods can i do up to give it abit more power/ torque ? besides the exhaust

black8thgen
07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
ecu/cai/IM will cost you more than you can get out of it in terms of more power

tbh... with the fd just spend ur money on handling and aesthetic mods (unless ur game enough to turbo it)... not much point wishing for bolt-on power.. the sad sad truth=[

David321
07-08-2012, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys for the info =) just wondering ive seen your car on sale black8thgen with a few mods to it, can u feel any noticeable change after modding your car? does it feel a tad quicker?

curtis265
07-08-2012, 06:01 PM
oh ok i thought fd2 engines the k20z were good for modding as compared to the R18's as what i heard.

i spoke to the guys at jdmyard and they said you will feel a difference overall in power and torque, low - high rpm with the Injen CAI, FD2 type R intake manifold + ECU tune.
i mean i just want to feel that little bit of extra power and torque but not overly done due to budget wise.
And what other mods can i do up to give it abit more power/ torque ? besides the exhaust

it's not like you won't notice it at all, you'll notice a bit of extra kick and you'll get used to it and want more... It's a vicious cycle.

the k20z2 isn't very good, however the k20z3 and k20z4 are.

black8thgen
07-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Nah no gains. The only thing that worked was my ethrottle controller everything else is probably just a mentality thing. But keep in mind I didn't really do anything seekin performance was just for roar =D

David321
07-08-2012, 08:43 PM
ohh ok wow not even a slight feel of difference with the intake? and what is the ethrottle controller? and also did you tune your car?

curtis265
07-08-2012, 09:36 PM
ohh ok wow not even a slight feel of difference with the intake? and what is the ethrottle controller? and also did you tune your car?

ethrottle is essentially a signal amplifier for your digital throttle.

the car's throttle is quite unresponsive, probably has 10%WOT in the first 30% of pedal travel, 70%WOT in the next 40% and the last 20%WOT in the remaining 30% of pedal travel

the tune would've made the real difference, but there's not many easy tuning options for the k20z2 as far as i'm aware (i wouldn't really know, just going off a gut feeling)

David, the sound is worth everything in my opinion

David321
07-08-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks curtis, just another question as i have never had a CAI installed, does the sound that it make sound like an exhaust? and withthe CAI and Intake Manifold installed will it increase fuel effiecency as well? and how much do the ethrottle go for + installation , thanks alot =)

curtis265
07-08-2012, 11:59 PM
nah no way does it sound like an exhaust. exhausts sound like fart, intake sounds like a growl. Much better sound than an exhaust anyday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRdacIFVSxA

not quite the same engine but you get the idea

ethrottles are around 350 or something i think

DuffyFD
08-08-2012, 12:12 AM
e throttle is good.

get it handling well. Coils. Rear sway bar. rims.

or get it looking good. bodykit and stance etc. Imo they're the best looking civic.

Forget about making it fast in a straight line unless you want to drop 10k+ on an integer/accord (k2a,K24) engine). Or boosting.

If your serious feel free to ask more in terms of specifics and brands etc. But (no offence to you) most people who ask lots don't end up taking the knowledgable advice on here.

David321
08-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Sounds awsome wow =) which CAI do you reckon i should get for my FD2 which sounds good and performs better? does getting a CAI increase fuel effiecency if you guys know?

And i heard that the ethrottle decreases fuel efficiency and if so by how much? is it that much difference?

Currently i have the FD2r body kit which is getting painted at my pannel beaters 0=) so excited and will be getting it done by thursday i hope will post pics when its done ;)

butterfingers
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
injen cai.

and who says you have to get a type r manifold. they make CAI to fit k20z2 manifolds as well.

David321
08-08-2012, 04:43 PM
on jdmyard site it says requires fd2 type r intake manifold and i also called them up and they said the same thing so yeh =s

butterfingers
09-08-2012, 10:42 AM
well fk me.

learn something new everyday lol.

DakDak
09-08-2012, 11:13 AM
Is there something majorly different about FD2R manifolds? The RRC looks about the same to me as a RBC etc. Ofcourse there are its differences in regards to performancem but Im sure you can use a silicone joiner to connect it all up.

xenonkuraz
14-08-2012, 12:37 AM
You don't need the fd2r manifold to fit a cai lol

xenonkuraz
14-08-2012, 10:29 PM
?????

David321
15-08-2012, 03:35 AM
You don't need the fd2r manifold to fit a cai lol
Im confused why does jdm yard say you need a fd2 type r manifold =3

David321
15-08-2012, 03:36 AM
Im confused why does jdm yard say you need a fd2 type r manifold =3
would the mod work better with the fd2 type r manifold or something ?

BG-33P
15-08-2012, 08:57 AM
He's probably selling the CAI from the Type R Version and doesn't have non R versions of the intake system.

Depending on how different the manifolds are and how precise the intake system is made you may not be able to bolt up a Type R Intake to a non R manifold. Have a search around other places on the net for info.

Other options for intake, if you're just after the growl, can be to remove any restrictions in the intake system and replace the filter with an after market panel or pod filter in the OEM air box. I'm running an OEM DC2R intake system with a Trust OE filter in the box with custom piping to the front bumper on my del sol. It definitely makes a hell of a difference to the sound of the car. I may have gotten a bit more power out of it but it would only be 1/2 kw's at the most. The thing I like about it most is it looks completely original, and won't get any attention when people (cops) look under my hood.

Like others have said, make your car handle/look better and you'll enjoy it alot more. Outright power isn't everything, especially when you can't use it all around corners ;)

black8thgen
15-08-2012, 09:10 AM
to OP: i may be parting out soon and will have a simota carbon charger 2 intake to sell... its a good option because its completely legal (many cops have had a look at it and passed an ok on it).. it has an enclosed pod filter and i've got a cold air feed that goes under my engine bay

David321
15-08-2012, 12:59 PM
to OP: i may be parting out soon and will have a simota carbon charger 2 intake to sell... its a good option because its completely legal (many cops have had a look at it and passed an ok on it).. it has an enclosed pod filter and i've got a cold air feed that goes under my engine bay
how much you selling the simonta carbon charger 2 intake and does it fit directly to the fd2 manifold

curtis265
15-08-2012, 01:05 PM
spambot lol

xenonkuraz
15-08-2012, 10:29 PM
David...

anything will fit...

as long as its not a rediculously opposing pipe angle or so high it will hit the bonnet.

Will NOT matter, FD2R manifold or not.

xenonkuraz
15-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Here's my carbon charger intake...

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/8629/intakes.jpg

like the other guys say get this one for high flow and still remain 'legal'

BG-33P
16-08-2012, 09:23 AM
looks like irrigation tubing. lol

EGB
16-08-2012, 10:14 AM
For an Injen intake which jdmyard are selling you will require a RBC intake manifold, as they are made for FD2R and USA delivered models. No Injen intake was made for Fd2 k20z.
Reason for manifold change is because of throttle body positioning

xenonkuraz
16-08-2012, 01:32 PM
It still fits! I originally had an injen and it requires very little modification.