PDA

View Full Version : OBD Harness?

eLtrix
09-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Was wondering if I would need to buy an OBD harness considering the following:

I have 2 whole cars, 1 is a JDM 93 SI and my car a 97 GSI.

I plan to swap the jdm motor into my 97 GSI.

Want i want to know is before i start ripping both cars apart is whether i will need to buy an actual wiring harness to make sure the conversion works and all the wiring is in place.
OR is everything I need in the swap is in the 93 SI, where i pull EVERYTHING out of this car and put it into mine.

If i were to need an harness i found this one: http://www.rywire.com/catalog/obd2a-to-obd1-ecu-conversion-harness-p-14.html Decent?
Anyone know of a place to get it in australia quicker?

eg5civic
10-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Pretty sure jdmyard had conversion harnesses for sale, hit up yonas (EG5) for a harness. What motor is the 93 SI motor? Assuming its a 93 integra? Also if your wanting it to be road registered you can't swap older motors into a newer chassis (well your not meant to but depends how clued on your department of transport is, as it has to do with EPA regulations from what I know)

eLtrix
10-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Just looked it up. They do and they dont have the right one either hah, the motor is a b18c and it is in fact a 93 integra. And how sure are you about that road registered thing... be pretty stupid for me to buy this if it cant be.... ill give vic roads a call

Latino CRX
10-08-2012, 10:10 AM
im thinking as being the same 1.8L to register it wouldnt be a problem ..
but yeh man give them a call anyways .. there has been alot of talk about that topic
some people say they have got theirs registered before and some say they havent ..

eLtrix
10-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Just called them up. Says it is perfectly okay as long as the engine that is being swapped in is one of the available options for the integra which it is, a b18c. Also found that information online but wanted to make sure since it didn't say anything about the year.

Change of engine
1. Replacement engine is identical to the original engine, or is an option allowed by the manufacturer for the same model vehicle
The optional engine must be offered in Australia by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle (or certified variants). The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying the engine is optional for the vehicle model, and that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that optional engine have been completed.

You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre to have the vehicle's engine inspected to confirm the new engine details. No appointment is required. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form.

2. Replacement engine is not of a type offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle or where alterations, or changes to the vehicle's frame or structure are made, and/or specially fabricated supports or structures are used
You will need to attend a VicRoads Customer Service Centre for an inspection of the vehicle to confirm the new engine details. You will also need to complete a Change of Vehicle Description form and provide VicRoads with:
a VASS Approval Certificate from a VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory
an original receipt for the purchase of the engine as proof of ownership of the engine

3. Replacement engine is not of a type and/or make offered by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that vehicle, but is equivalent in general configuration, power, mass, and emissions standard to that of the original or an optional engine for the vehicle model and can be installed without any structual alterations.
The change of engine may be recorded by VicRoads provided that the registered operator or a motor mechanic, or dealer in that make of vehicle or an Automotive Engineer signs a declaration certifying that all modifications made by the manufacturer for the same vehicle model with that engine, have been completed.
A Change of Vehicle Description form must be completed providing new engine details. An inspection to confirm engine details is also required unless a Certificate of Roadworthiness or VASS Approval Certificate including the new engine number is provided (only for a currently registered Victorian vehicle). An original receipt for the purchase of the engine must be provided as proof of ownership of the engine.
When a VASS Approval Certificate has been supplied for a replacement engine, then an equivalent replacement engine can be fitted without another VASS Approval Certificate being presented (eg 350 c.i. V8 engine replaced with 350 c.i. V8 engine).

PS** Where is the location of the ECU, yes i have searched and there is two possible spots : under the passenger seat (under carpet) or some kind of side panel on the passenger side.