PDA

View Full Version : Suspension - (TEIN SPRINGS)

krillin
12-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Just wondering, If i install Tein S-tech on Standard shocks. Would it affect or damage my shocks?

Apparently those TEIN's were made to fit the Stock CL9 shocks and doesnt damage it.

Please give Advise!

Need to know before purchase.

Fredoops
12-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Any lowering will reduce the life of your oem shocks.

How long of a reduction I don't know, too many factors to consider

krillin
12-08-2012, 11:27 PM
But is it going to damage the shocks right away?

EKVTIR-T
12-08-2012, 11:33 PM
No its not an instant type of wear

When the shock is operating at a lower height with reduced stroke,it causes premature wear on the seals,but its a gradual thing and we cant give you an accurate length of time or km range..

Fredoops
12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
But is it going to damage the shocks right away?

Not if they are in decent condition.

krillin
13-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Thank you for your help guys! really appreciate it! ill probably run on pedders shocks instead of standard just for the safely and smooth ride :)

Fredoops
13-08-2012, 03:20 AM
Thank you for your help guys! really appreciate it! ill probably run on pedders shocks instead of standard just for the safely and smooth ride :)

I doubt peddlers shocks are any better than OEM tbh.

If you are getting shocks go for a decent brand like koni yellow.

Also do your math, if you get spring and shocks together you are getting very close To cost of getting a whole set of coilOver.

krillin
13-08-2012, 11:18 PM
yeah i understand, ill plan it out and see the cost of everything and start from there, thanks.

tonysalib
14-08-2012, 10:15 AM
I am using the Tein S.Tech springs with original shocks, had them for about a year now and quite happy with them, haven't noticed any excessive wear so far. At the end of the day it comes down to the current condition of you shocks: lowered springs on factory shocks is OK, lowered springs on old worn out shocks is not.

aaronng
14-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Depends on how much lower it will be compared to stock. If the lowest point on S tech springs when going over a bump is lower than the minimum shock travel height of the OEM dampers, then premature wear will occur. It might take over 6 months to 2 years to get blown shocks, but it will get there eventually.

senna
14-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is how many k's the factory shocks have done too.

The shock shaft and seals will have a wear pattern to them after a certain amount of time, moving the shock to a different operating range will increase the wear on the seal and lead to premature failure compared to the standard height...

ChaosMaster
14-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Anyone know anywhere other than Heeltoe to grab Tein Springs (I'm after HTech though). Shippings cost are so high with HT.

Fredoops
14-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Anyone know anywhere other than Heeltoe to grab Tein Springs (I'm after HTech though). Shippings cost are so high with HT.

eBay
Amazon
Senna

tonysalib
15-08-2012, 10:00 AM
eBay US is where I got my S.Tech, they were $300 landed so I'm sure you can find H.Tech for a similar price.

ChaosMaster
15-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Damn, too bad Amazon doesn't ship to Aus, not as far as I can tell. Looked at eBay US, but their shipping is even worse ($170 on shipping, seriously?)

migoreng
15-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I've been running kings lows from 180,000km to 280,000km. The shocks are still fine but I do lots of highway driving.

tonysalib
16-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Here are some H.Techs on eBay for just over $300 (US) landed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tein-H-Tech-Lowering-Springs-04-ACURA-TSX-/270855737342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f10428ffe&vxp=mtr#ht_928wt_952

ChaosMaster
16-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Here are some H.Techs on eBay for just over $300 (US) landed:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tein-H-Tech-Lowering-Springs-04-ACURA-TSX-/270855737342?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f10428ffe&vxp=mtr#ht_928wt_952

Thanks. Would rep but need to spread rep first.

afgmoh
21-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Hey guys, just to clarify. So running springs on OEM shocks is okay but going over real bumpy roads etc might put them more at risk cos of the lowered height?

On that note.. I'm a bit of a noob with this, but what's the difference between the H-tech and the S-tech? Is it just the height they lower? And does anyone have the exact height it drops by compared to stock? So I can measure myself and see which one would be better. I really want something like this or similar > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vwsIHg-lUxc/Tj9lYXqDI7I/AAAAAAAAA7o/Vi8-ssUX0Gk/s1600/755555.jpg

Stevil
21-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Chaos I would recommend you look at Nuespeed Sport springs, I got mine from Chris at REDSHIFT Motorsport in the USs, was sent USPS international priority, cost me 2 x $68 for the 2 boxes, took 3 weeks from order. Paid $199 for the 4 springs and I really rate the ride. Drop is not excessive. I doubt you will get 25lb + springs sent for much less than $132.

tonysalib
21-08-2012, 10:07 AM
From memory, the drop from stock height is:
H-Tech: Front 1.0" Rear 0.7"
S-Tech: Front 1.7" Rear 1.3"

I don't think you're going to achieve this look with either of them. I have S-Techs on my CL9, check it out:

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/tonysalib/My%20Honda%20Accord%20Euro/IMG_1747.jpg?t=1338778781

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q503/tonysalib/My%20Honda%20Accord%20Euro/380958_10150411444201226_726971225_8742048_7754211 35_n.jpg

ChaosMaster
21-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Hey guys, just to clarify. So running springs on OEM shocks is okay but going over real bumpy roads etc might put them more at risk cos of the lowered height?

On that note.. I'm a bit of a noob with this, but what's the difference between the H-tech and the S-tech? Is it just the height they lower? And does anyone have the exact height it drops by compared to stock? So I can measure myself and see which one would be better. I really want something like this or similar > http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vwsIHg-lUxc/Tj9lYXqDI7I/AAAAAAAAA7o/Vi8-ssUX0Gk/s1600/755555.jpg

As Tony said above, S-Tech give more of a drop than H-Tech. H-Tech are also about 12% stiffer front and rear, where as the S-Tech surprising has stiffer front, but softer rear. H-Tech are meant to be Luxury Spec while S-Tech are Stylish Spec according to Tein. Stock Spring rates are 5/3 f/r, S-Tech are 6.2/2.7 while H-Tech are 5.7/3.4. Drop are -43.5/34mm f/r for S-Tech while H-Tech drop 28.5/19mm.

Specs here: http://www.tein.com/tech_info/a42.html

Spring rates prob matter very little to you but both are very comfortable and very close to OEM. H-Tech retains the OEM handling characteristics, while S-Tech would provide slightly less understeer in theory, although the difference shouldn't be that noticeable, albeit the ride quality for the rear passengers could be slightly more comfortable. The reason I like H-Tech is because the drop halves the gap between my guards and tyre (via my own measurements against my 18"). S-Tech will be closer to a 1.5 finger gap, so it looks better, however my house is surrounded by road humps so it's not really idea to lower it too much.

Oh and to answer your question (I figure you prob cbf measuring), on my car, there's about a 60/50mm f/r gap so H-Tech would leave about 30mm all round. S-Tech would leave about 15mm all around. And no, bumpy roads will wear out your shocks regardless, it shouldn't damage your car though, and you have bump stops (which will have to be cut) which stops your tyres from hitting your guards so you will be safe.

Chaos I would recommend you look at Nuespeed Sport springs, I got mine from Chris at REDSHIFT Motorsport in the USs, was sent USPS international priority, cost me 2 x $68 for the 2 boxes, took 3 weeks from order. Paid $199 for the 4 springs and I really rate the ride. Drop is not excessive. I doubt you will get 25lb + springs sent for much less than $132.

Thanks for the recommendation, they seem like a nice fit in between the 2 Teins, but as mention above, speed humps mean I don't want to lower it anymore than I have to (to keep it from looking like a 4wd). Teins are cheaper as well, and I'm not sure if that rubber "sound dampening" marketing crap really works, but anything that can lower the noise level in my car is a plus. Slightly cheaper too I think.

afgmoh
24-08-2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the help guys! Really informative info! It's just so hard choosing the right height. I like it low but not too low, but now that I actually think about it... in my area there's a lot of speed humps and even heavy roadworks going on with potholes galore and uneven roads and everything... so maybe right now isnt the best time to lower.. I guess the H-techs might be the way to go if I did..*edit* tonysalib I really like the way yours sits! Looks good! But now that ChaosMaster brought it up i'm worried about all the speedhumps near my place.. and they're steep ones too that you can't just clear at high speed haha. Only thing that got me worried was that Honda said to be careful by just replacing the springs as they said they're not 100% sure if the springs would fit "correctly" in the shocks and could 'pop' out and me end up with one wheel gone lol.. Anyone shed some extra light on that?
They said if I don't want to spend the money for coilovers, it's more advisable to go springs+shocks upgrade.. So confusing, so much different info and opinions ahhh!!

ChaosMaster
24-08-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm pretty sure the only time the springs could drop out would be when you're getting a lot of airtime. Like a hell of a lot of air time.

tonysalib
24-08-2012, 10:14 AM
:| pop out!!! :|