PDA

View Full Version : Weird starting problem

rubyjazz
15-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Hi All,

I've got a strange problem with my VTIS-GE auto.
It seems to have problem starting after a long drive. Like maybe anything over 40 minutes. I stop for less than 5 minutes/turn off the car. Then when I try to start it again, it won't. Maybe wait a 15-20 minutes and then it will start again with no issues.

Last sunday, it wouldn't start for more than an hour. My friend came and did a jump start for me. And then it was all ok again.

The car was just serviced 50Tkm last friday and they couldn't figure out the problem.

When the problem happened, I was just next to a honda shop but the service is closed since it was sunday. They said I had to return it on monday :(

Any clues as to what's wrong with it? I just bought a portable jump start kit/battery. For just in case, this happens again.

Cheers!

fundies
16-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Does it make a clicking sound when you turn the key ? If so, but the starter doesn't turn, could be the starter solenoid, heat soak problem.

rubyjazz
22-08-2012, 12:16 PM
yes, it tries to turn just seems to be a bit weak. :(

rubyjazz
24-08-2012, 01:40 PM
I think this is fixed. Convinced with the repco guy who did the battery check. The CCA is no longer at the required charge and battery tester says replace bad battery.
Don't know why it still tested as good at Honda. But maybe they tested it while it was running.

rubyjazz
24-08-2012, 01:44 PM
Is there any truth to urban myth of battery replacement affecting CVT? When I changed mine, the distance to fill up suddenly jumped up to 700kms from 500kms.

fundies
27-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Is there any truth to urban myth of battery replacement affecting CVT? When I changed mine, the distance to fill up suddenly jumped up to 700kms from 500kms.

Yes. The ECU which also controls the way the CVT operates is reset. Just drive normally and it should reset/relearn in a matter of hours. There is a set procedure which some say you should follow to reset the CVT after a battery change, but I always found it made no difference when I had my CVT, and just drove normally afterwards and never had a problem.

rubyjazz
27-08-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks! Do you know the CCA of factory honda jazz car battery?
The sticker on mine has been ripped.

fundies
27-08-2012, 07:37 PM
Not off hand. But Supercharge make a good quality, good price battery for the Jazz amongst other cars. Have used these in a number of cars and been happy.

http://www.supercharge.com.au/product_detail.php?seq=30&return_url=battery_search.php

The above one is the premium quality model for the Jazz. 3 year warranty says it all.

rubyjazz
28-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Seems like the terminals are located a bit higher or in the middle of the battery. May have a hard time fitting without adjusting the cable/connectors.
But thanks! I went with repco equivalent that has the 2 year warranty (they were out of the 3yr). CCA - 330.

EG5[KRT]
28-08-2012, 11:24 PM
ge auto does not have CVT... id recommend getting a new battery from honda, the repco ones dont seem to last as long and the fit is never right

fundies
29-08-2012, 07:34 AM
;3530843']ge auto does not have CVT... id recommend getting a new battery from honda, the repco ones dont seem to last as long and the fit is never right

Good pick up, I totally forgot !!! ( smacks head ).

fundies
29-08-2012, 07:36 AM
deleted.

integraR
29-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Could try century battery (yellow and blue colored)

They last for ages

Bought the batts 4 years ago now still going strong

rubyjazz
30-08-2012, 09:56 AM
;3530843']ge auto does not have CVT... id recommend getting a new battery from honda, the repco ones dont seem to last as long and the fit is never right
It should have. I have the paddle shifters on mine. http://www.caradvice.com.au/16025/2009-honda-jazz-first-steer/

Fit was perfect. As it was equivalent. Terminal position/polarity was correct. Are honda batteries cheaper or more expensive?
Friend had a repco one with a 3 year warranty.
I'll probably get a different battery next time. It was necessary at the time I bought it.

fundies
31-08-2012, 06:26 PM
Rubyjazz. You dont have a CVT in the GE series. It was only in the GD series auto's. What you have in the GE series is a normal 5 speed automatic, that also has paddle shift for the 5 speeds. The GD CVT gearbox in the VTI and VTIS had a 7 speed paddle shift mode.

From your linked article, "here’s a choice of five-speed manual or automatic through out the range and for reason best explained by Honda Australia Senior Director Lindsay Smalley the car eschews the CVT transmission which is on offer in Europe and Japan."

Eschews meaning doesn't have.