PDA

View Full Version : Windscreen replacement

Falcon
15-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this issue has been discussed before.

Just purchased a new Accord Euro Lux and was driving it home (from Qld to NSW) when I got a stone chip in the windscreen. Before I could get the stone chip fixed the windscreen had cracked had and now needs replacing.

I am currently seeking quotes to get it done. I have only gone to O'Briens at the moment but they are having trouble identifying the right windscreen. The prices vary from $418 for windscreen with rain sensors to $2200 for windscreen with rain sensors and electronic rear vision mirror. Also, I will need to replace the plastic trims around the windscreen [$300].

O'Briens are talking to the Honda and they cannot tell via my VIN number which I need. I don't live near a dealer or an O'Briens so it is not easy to get the car there for them to look at.

Has anyone had any experience with replacing windscreens on a 2012 luxury that can shed some light on this.

Jasemas
15-08-2012, 04:12 PM
Don't quote me
If you have full insurance - wouldnt window breakage cover it?

Falcon
15-08-2012, 04:24 PM
If I took out the excess removal option in the policy it would. But in the 30 odd years I have been driving this is the third windscreen I needed to replace so I did not see the value (at the time).

roony
15-08-2012, 04:26 PM
well unless you have the extra windscreen cover option, it wont be covered. That extra covers damage from chips. If the screen broke/cracked in an accident then that would be covered without the extra windscreen cover.

Falcon
15-08-2012, 04:54 PM
Thanks Roony,

I think I have come to terms with having to pay for the windscreen. My main question is the difference between the new windscreens. IE one with the rain sensor and one with both the rain sensor and electronic rear mirror.
How would the electronic rear mirror cause such a huge price hike in the cost of the windscreen?

tony1234
15-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks Roony,

I think I have come to terms with having to pay for the windscreen. My main question is the difference between the new windscreens. IE one with the rain sensor and one with both the rain sensor and electronic rear mirror.
How would the electronic rear mirror cause such a huge price hike in the cost of the windscreen?

Where do you live?

Falcon
15-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I live in Nelson Bay, about 45min north of Newcastle, NSW

ExpressCoffee
15-08-2012, 06:40 PM
That's very unfortunate man! :(

leok
16-08-2012, 01:42 AM
Falcon, I just had my windscreen replaced on my 07 Limited Edition. Cost me $350 including installation by Novus Auto Glass. However I don't have the rain sensor or the eletronic mirror. I would assume the $2200 would be for an OEM one, hence the steep price. I believe the $418 one with the rain sensor would be a third party one. From what i've been told, Honda don't make the windscreens, and are made by a third party glass manufacturer, so getting a third party one would be not much different to the OEM one, except the price!

HunterZero
16-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Windscreen insurance will only cover a cheap aftermarket one, they won't replace it with expensive OEM. OEM ones may be made for Honda by a 3rd party glass contractor, but they would be one employed directly by Honda, are guaranteed to be perfect fit/shape and work perfectly with the rain sensors as they're made to Honda's exact OEM specs/tolerances and are stamped with a Honda logo.

The auto-dimming mirror I think is made by GENTEX? You can't just remove the existing mirror and re-use that when they put the new glass in?

- HZ