PDA

View Full Version : Muffler and stuff

Nervegas
24-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to the forums and to modding my car. I own a '95 accord exi and looking at putting on muffler and pod filter to start off with. What i want to know is whether to just change the muffler or to replace the whole exhuast system from the heads.
Any help/opinions and information would be greatly appreciated. And even some ideas on costs and brands (like i said earlier, totally newb to modding a car)
Thanx

HowlonghaveIbeendrifting?
24-12-2003, 02:11 PM
Yo,

I'm keeping the engine of my accord pretty stock (mainly for insurance reasons), but I'll tell you what little I do know about modifying the aspiration system of your car.

Chaniging the air filter is probably the easiest and least expensive performance mod you can do. The price range is huge, as you go from no-name Autobarn brands to Mugen or whatever. So it really depends on how much you want to spend. I can't really immagine the increase in power will be that much different though.

As for the exhaust system, again it comes down to how much you want to spend. A sports muffler alone will give you a small increase in power, working the exhaust all the way to the heads will give you significantly more. I really don't know much about brands and pricing there unfortunately.

One thing you have to be careful about is whether or not you want your car to be insured. I know that for my age, my insurance company will disown me if I modify the performance aspect of my car in any way. So if you do want insurance, best to discuss your options with the insurance company first. Other thing is, once you start modding the aspiration system, you expand your power band and gain a bit more high end power, but lose fuel economy (if that bothers anyone any more...).

Hope that was of some help.

Cheers
- K

Bobby
26-12-2003, 11:31 AM
yeah i dont quite know about insurance, but, doing the exhaust on any car really frees up one or two ponies but.
you really cant go any bigger than 2 and a 1/4 inch piping on your exhaust, coz as an atmo it will lose so much low end, and truly VTEC engines need as much low end as they can get. also, pods are fully illegal etc as you probably know, but the dont do anything at all at low end, only the top end. having a pod really doesnt affect anything in my experience except, it sounds really nice with the induction noise.
truly, accords arent modded that much in Australia, and in my experience so far, you need to order stuff in from overseas, America has the best stuff for the accord coz they are as popular as the civic over there. but also if you can use some oz brands aswell, whiteline are an ozzy supension co and croydon auto sports use some ozzy honda parts, they really arent that much diff to Japanese parts, cept the price.
any how good luck on modding and hope ive helped a little bit.

CHU85
30-12-2003, 05:07 PM
hey there i got a whole engine and turbo setup if ur interested!!

Nervegas
31-12-2003, 12:30 AM
u put turbo on the accord exi? is that possible without blowing it up????

Calvo
31-12-2003, 10:02 AM
he's got a H22A under the bonnet :D

A'PEXi
31-12-2003, 10:35 AM
if you are under 25, some insurance companies will void your policy by changing an 'air filter' :P.... the full exhaust system will obviously be more beneficial but more $$, depends on how much you want to spend.. its better if you just do a panel replacement and maybe a cold air feed... will work better than a pod hanging in the engine bay sucking in hot air :P

Usual Suspect
01-01-2004, 11:50 PM
if u mod ur car, not extremley but just a few bits here and there (exhaust, cold air, stuff like that) and then get it insured, does it make a difference?

Nervegas
02-01-2004, 12:57 AM
the h22 is the prelude engine isn't it? which is also dohc rite?
soz for the questions, like i said, i'm new with modding a car and yet to get into the swing of things

mo
02-01-2004, 01:55 AM
yes h22a is from prelude and it is DOHC VTEC

A'PEXi
02-01-2004, 03:46 PM
if u mod ur car, not extremley but just a few bits here and there (exhaust, cold air, stuff like that) and then get it insured, does it make a difference?

depends which company you are with, their policy, what type of insurance, what type of car and how old you are.....

Nervegas
03-01-2004, 01:03 AM
ok, so as far as modding your engine goes, it could (depending) invalidadte your insurance if your under 25 (as i am 22 going 23 this year)
however how about adding 17' rims and lowering it by about 2 or so inches? how'd that go down with insurance? shouldn't affect it rite?

HowlonghaveIbeendrifting?
03-01-2004, 08:10 PM
Well, as far as my insurance company goes, mag wheels are no problem (ie, the premium is unaffected) however lowering the car IS a big problem. They also have a limit on how many modifications are allowed for different age brackets on drivers younger then 25. Being 20 years old, I'm only allowed 2 aesthetic modifications (absoloute maximum).

Bottom line is, this is something you are going to have to discuss with your insurance company over the phone.

Cheers

- K