PDA

View Full Version : Mars performance hids kit

lowr1d3r
18-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I was thinking of getting a HID kit for my CU2. has anyone tried the mars performance kit on the euro before? would it flicker?

HunterZero
19-08-2012, 12:43 AM
Words from the wise - Do other road users a favour, don't get a cheap HID kit. The beam pattern will be all wrong with the halogen projectors in a standard CU2. Not to mention not legal (apart from the beam pattern/glare, HIDs are required to have headlight washers).

Have you looked into Philips Xtreme/Crystal Vision globes?

- HZ

lowr1d3r
19-08-2012, 10:06 AM
i was thinking of putting phillips diamond visions coz its the closest to white that i can get. yes, my cu2 doesnt come with HID coz its the model below the luxury, so if it doesnt have it then.. is it illegal to have it without the headlight washers? so what do i do now :( no HID kit?

lowr1d3r
19-08-2012, 11:32 AM
would prob get these.. closest to white.. would you recommend?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5800K-100W-Super-HID-Xenon-Bright-H1-Type-Halogen-Car-Head-Lights-Bulb-Globe-/160676896440?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256916deb8#ht_2746wt_1037

kristrifo
19-08-2012, 11:36 AM
i was thinking of putting phillips diamond visions coz its the closest to white that i can get. yes, my cu2 doesnt come with HID coz its the model below the luxury, so if it doesnt have it then.. is it illegal to have it without the headlight washers? so what do i do now :( no HID kit?

bzzzzzzt

diamond vision globes are fails, they have too much blue tint on the globe, so you get a blue light with barely any light penetration (ie lumins)

crystal vision globes are far much better

lowr1d3r
19-08-2012, 12:19 PM
alrite then.. thanks :) soo... im still deciding then..

Phillips Crystal Visions or MARS 5800K 100W Super HID Xenon Bright

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5800K-100W-Super-HID-Xenon-Bright-H1-Type-Halogen-Car-Head-Lights-Bulb-Globe-/160676896440?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256916deb8#ht_2746wt_1037

Rudy
19-08-2012, 12:55 PM
alrite then.. thanks :) soo... im still deciding then..

Phillips Crystal Visions or MARS 5800K 100W Super HID Xenon Bright

Id bet that those are illegal too. And quite expensive for a no brand item. Word of wise, never get anything from Mars performance...overpriced and shocking customer service (just check their feedback!). I don't really think theres any legal bulb that will give you white or blue that is halogen. I could be wrong though.

kristrifo
19-08-2012, 03:30 PM
im with rudy on this one

theres a reason why phillips come oem with a lot of cars these days

their products are so much superior than others

when it comes to stuff such as lights, stick to known name brands, dont go el cheapo

Rudy
19-08-2012, 03:52 PM
im with rudy on this one

theres a reason why phillips come oem with a lot of cars these days

their products are so much superior than others

when it comes to stuff such as lights, stick to known name brands, dont go el cheapo

True, funny thing is the genuine phillips one I imported from Amazon is cheaper than these no name ones.

androo
19-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Mars has shocking customer service. I bought a set of lights off them before. Sent me the wrong ones. When I told them they just went silent and never responded. Threatened negative feedback so 1 day before the 'feedback period' ended they told me they would send out a new set that would fit my car and send me the shipping details. Gave them alright feedback. Too bad nothing ACTUALLY came. Felt pretty pissed (this was a few years ago). Ended up in a dispute. Pretty messy. If you get the right thing first go then sweet. Have any issues and they're a pain in the butt.

lowr1d3r
19-08-2012, 07:47 PM
hmm but im actually gonna go str8 to mars performance because i live in melbourne.. so beside the customer service, still no no for the bulbs? so in conclusion.... crystal visions? how good are they with my projectors? is it like a off white or like a milky white color?

lowr1d3r
19-08-2012, 07:49 PM
ive bought from mars performance a while back.. didnt really have a problem with them, bought a 6000k hid kit for my camry, runs fine .. had it for around 3-4 years.. and still running good..

lowr1d3r
19-08-2012, 07:53 PM
also one more question.. crystal visions are 4300k, how high is the stock oem HID that comes with the car? is it the same output? if so.. then i dont mind getting these

kristrifo
19-08-2012, 08:29 PM
get this whole thing of temp out of your head with halogen lights

halogen lights will always be yellow

they make these globes look more "white" by adding blue tints on the bulb, the more the tint, the bluer the light, the less light that gets omitted

most hid oem lights are 4300k, its the colour closest to a halogen bulb

natnat
19-08-2012, 08:45 PM
H1 bulb standard 1550 lumens around 3000k

D2S standard on CU2 lux 3500 lumens 4300k

H1 bulb with heavy blue tint 5000k say.... 1000 lumens

pick your poison :p

imo if you want to go HID, at least find a pair of CU2 lux headlights from car wreckers and use them.

the self leveler is required by law but its purpose is for when you load up the back seats with big adults and a lot of heavy stuffs in the boot, the car will be tilted and the beam will level itself to avoid blinding others.

the headlight washers... i don't like them as they make my clean bonnet wet! but they are required by law (except in USA).

my other car did not have the bi xenon option unless i was willing to wait 6 mths. but i am in the process of retrofitting OEM bixenon kit along with the whole self leveler and headlight washers. these all up have cost around $2500 plus labour. factory option is $2200.

but for peace of mind, this could probably save me a lot more in legal costs and damage payout in the event of anything bad happened in this super litigious country.

remember, Australia = litigious => lawyers ARE EXPENSIVE! a lot more expensive than your eBay HID kit!! about $1500 - $2000 to represent you in a hearing session plus consultation fee of $400 / hour

afgmoh
19-08-2012, 11:46 PM
Had Phillips Crystal Vision on my fog lights until I upgraded those to HID to match my low beams, but still have Crystal Vision H1's on my high beams. Definitely much more worth it, although compared to a 6000k HID the Crystal vision is SLIGHTLY more tinged yellow, only slightly, but it's noticeable. The diamond vision will give you more of a blueish look rather than white.

HunterZero
20-08-2012, 12:09 PM
imo if you want to go HID, at least find a pair of CU2 lux headlights from car wreckers and use them.

About the only way you'll get decent HIDs in a CU2.

the headlight washers... i don't like them as they make my clean bonnet wet! but they are required by law (except in USA).

+1 to this... I hate headlight washers. I basically avoid using them, so they are effectively useless. They only spray if you wash the windshield when the headlights are on though...

Apart from that, a few members here have reported theirs were pulled out of the bumper and stolen.

- HZ

roony
20-08-2012, 12:49 PM
+1 to this... I hate headlight washers. I basically avoid using them, so they are effectively useless. T

- HZ

maybe you could pull the fuse if it has a separate one?

kristrifo
20-08-2012, 12:51 PM
^^ I highly discourage removing the headlight washers because when I got pulled over by an ass of a cop he made me go to the EPA and they specifically asked to see if my headlight washers worked

HunterZero
20-08-2012, 03:41 PM
maybe you could pull the fuse if it has a separate one?

Ironically I'd be more annoyed at them not working at all, than having them working and spraying water up my bonnet.

- HZ

natnat
20-08-2012, 08:06 PM
^^ I highly discourage removing the headlight washers because when I got pulled over by an ass of a cop he made me go to the EPA and they specifically asked to see if my headlight washers worked

that cop must have had nothing else to do! may i ask which state was that in? NSW or VIC?

i've been in QLD since jan12 and have not seen a single RBT.. back in sydney it was like weekly rituals!

MR_LATE
20-08-2012, 08:42 PM
had a choice between narva or philips just yesterday, i chose philips.

kristrifo
21-08-2012, 03:18 AM
that cop must have had nothing else to do! may i ask which state was that in? NSW or VIC?

i've been in QLD since jan12 and have not seen a single RBT.. back in sydney it was like weekly rituals!

nsw dude

tonysalib
21-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Crystal vision is still illegal, blue visions are the whitest Philips halogen bulbs that are legal which are 4000K, anything higher than that is illegal. I have the blue visions and very happy with them, they look nice while still keep a decent level of performance. I would recommend them over any cheap HID kit.

Shuuyuki
25-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Crystal vision is still illegal, blue visions are the whitest Philips halogen bulbs that are legal which are 4000K, anything higher than that is illegal. I have the blue visions and very happy with them, they look nice while still keep a decent level of performance. I would recommend them over any cheap HID kit.

I was also thinking of getting crystal visions... So are they illegal? What types or is it all of them?

MR_LATE
25-08-2012, 04:28 PM
They are illegal but the chances of u getting caught from checking is very very rare....
Popo usually dont bother with euros, cz at least we have the adjuster button or auto. Also the projector lens.

tonysalib
27-08-2012, 09:27 AM
I was also thinking of getting crystal visions... So are they illegal? What types or is it all of them?

I wasn't aware there are more than one type of crystal visions but anyway any halogen bulb with a color temperature higher than 4000K is illegal, but like MR_LATE said chances of you getting done for them is very slim coz you can hardly tell the difference between 4000K and 4300K just by looking at it.

Having an insurance claim turned down because of an illegal modification though is very likely i think. These companies would find anything to get out of paying up.

felixd
28-08-2012, 01:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvhDGMUV4pg

tron07
28-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I have been using crystal for like 6 years with no problems.... cops only will give you problems if you start modifying your car to the extreme. Was thinking of getting a philips aftermarket HID conversion, but still havent done anything yet. If you search around, there are 2-3 threads about it already.

For the MARS 5800K 100W... I would probably check the 100W output, it might draw too much current and melt your wirings.