PDA

View Full Version : slight knock sound?

Goku
19-08-2012, 10:16 PM
hey guys, just to clarify things before i started asking, i am not mechanically minded, so keep that in mind. i own a dc4 and lately i have noticed a slight knock sound when i change gears. the noise is fairly faint but i just wanted to know if that is a bad thing? i was thinking of giving a transmission fluid change on it but im not sure if that will do anything? cheers.

DakDak
19-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Sounds like your exhaust is a bit loose. Or one of your mounts has slight play.

Goku
19-08-2012, 10:59 PM
ohkay. thanks for that. will check that out when i get the chance to. thanks a lot.

charliebrown
19-08-2012, 11:12 PM
It could be as you suspected, low or dirty transmission fluid, not enough lubrication for a frictionless shift.

I reckon could be an engine/transmission mount on it's way out, engine moving around making the knock.

Worst case would be something inside the transmission shagged up but most likely you would notice something wrong like hard to get into gears if that was the case

dougie_504
20-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Agreed, possibly rear mount. Check exhaust first though, easier to fix.

Can you identify where the knock is coming from in the car?

GU357
20-08-2012, 12:03 PM
sit in the car engine off and shift gears just to make sure this knocking sound isnt the gear engagement noise

DreadAngel
20-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Like dougie said,

Let us know where, when the noise comes and also what type of sound [crunching, banging metal on metal, etc] and what you were doing at the time =)

Goku
21-08-2012, 12:50 AM
alright so today i started up my car and sat it in stationary. i was pushing the clutch down and letting it go a few times and the slight knocking sound appeared again. its more like a tick instead of a knock. so what could this be? the noise is fairly faint unless u really pay attention to it. but it still annoys me knowing that its still there :(

GU357
21-08-2012, 12:55 AM
is it when its all the way down or when u let it back up?

Goku
21-08-2012, 10:56 PM
well when i press it down and then let it back up. i dont have any difficulty when shifting gears though.

DreadAngel
22-08-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm thinking possibly the release bearing if its coming from the bowels of your gearbox...

Goku
23-08-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm thinking possibly the release bearing if its coming from the bowels of your gearbox...

i used to own a eg civic and the release bearing was absolutely f*****d and it made lick a rattling sound constantly and the only time it would be quiet is when i pressed the clutch down fully.

i still havent got the time yet to get it inspected. been really busy with school lol