PDA

View Full Version : Cams positioning & Cam Phasing

pgclee
12-03-2005, 01:18 AM
How do you know if the cams are in the Right position?

And if you have a Cam pulley, with TODA C, what kinda Cam Phase advance will you go to?

any ideas?

and what about the Ignition Timing?

Non Vtec
12-03-2005, 06:16 AM
I think its a case of dialing them into your motor to see where they can be adjusted.. I'm guessing you will be running at least the CTR piston setup to be running 11.8:1 compression otherwise the Toda C's will be a waste of time. even below 12.5:1 the gains over the Toda B's will be minimal on a near stock motor.
But anyway given oversized valves if they fit the motor, high comp pistons you might end up with 2-10degrees of cam adjustment available to you. although it is minimal there is still alot of power to be found in that minimal adjustment
And as for ignition timing if this set-up is going on the track you Might be able to run up to 40 degrees of additional timing at the top end over the base timing your car has, but that will be dependant on fuel the ECU run and a day on the dyno to find out..

blackdc2
14-03-2005, 09:35 AM
my spec c's were dialed into the toda specifications of 1mm of lift at TDC (think that is what it is) check this figure before dialing them in

edw-R
17-03-2005, 12:50 AM
If you go Toda C cam, i think you need to change ecu as well. Find a good tuner to tune up your car on dyno.

TODA AU
17-03-2005, 05:17 AM
How do you know if the cams are in the Right position?

And if you have a Cam pulley, with TODA C, what kinda Cam Phase advance will you go to?

any ideas?

and what about the Ignition Timing?

For 1600~1800cc using Type R intake manifold & throttle + TODA header. Set LCA to 105deg.
To do this you need TDC guage & dial indicator.
Engine must always be rotated in anti clockwise direction.
Use primary lobe for checking, 1mm lift / 0deg @ TDC / Int ~ Ext
Valve lash must be correct before setting.
When it's right, Idle is stable @ 850~900rpm.
The other tell tale is the dizzy is centre'd when ignition timing is correct.
(Ie: What you get at the crank, is what you get at the ECU & visa versa)

Engines using sports injection & or capacity over 1800cc benifit from alternative setting point. (Mr Gasket degree wheel required)
Headers that initially don't work can be turned into stars by changing exhaust LCA. That is bad headers can be made to look good. Great headers simply shine. (Dave knows what I mean ;))

WARNING! Setting cam timing by simply playing with the cam gears is daft.
Spec C cams have 12.5mm lift.
Incorrect installation & or setting of LCA will cause valve to valve & or piston to valve contact.
If you do not know how to do this, do yourself a favour and find someone who does. This is not something the average spanner head aught to try at home. Be aware there are loads of pretend performance shops out there in the same boat. (Ie: They don't know either)

pgclee
23-03-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanx hips Adrian...