PDA

View Full Version : QLD Selling car from QLD to VIC

simply.shredded
23-08-2012, 07:37 PM
if someone is buying your car from victoria, and they are driving it down, what happens with the rego? do they drive it registered in my name to victoria?
do i get my rego back?
do they drive it down with qld standard number plates?

manolii
23-08-2012, 07:53 PM
I would say you transfer the rego into their name while in QLD then they are free to do what they want, my guess only :P

simply.shredded
23-08-2012, 08:09 PM
I would say you transfer the rego into their name while in QLD then they are free to do what they want, my guess only :P

cant really happen if on a saturday though dudee

DLO01
23-08-2012, 08:41 PM
You can't transfer from state to state. It has to go through all the checks and registered in the destination state.

You de-register the car and sell it to them unregistered. They need to organise how they get it to wherever they need it to go (its not your problem). They need to get it re-registered when they get it in their own state. You should not let them drive the car under your name.

v__
23-08-2012, 08:42 PM
just sell it let him drive down with your rego. once his down. deregister ur car.
and hopfully he doesnt get any fines.

u will get or money back. gota call ur CTP insurance aswell. to get that back. which is included in ur rego.

the best way. deregister your car now. and pay for like 3 days CTP. which allows you to drive

also he cannot use QLD rego down there.

simply.shredded
23-08-2012, 08:47 PM
You can't transfer from state to state. It has to go through all the checks and registered in the destination state.

You de-register the car and sell it to them unregistered. They need to organise how they get it to wherever they need it to go (its not your problem). They need to get it re-registered when they get it in their own state. You should not let them drive the car under your name.

just sell it let him drive down with your rego. once his down. deregister ur car.
and hopfully he doesnt get any fines.

u will get or money back. gota call ur CTP insurance aswell. to get that back. which is included in ur rego.

the best way. deregister your car now. and pay for like 3 days CTP. which allows you to drive

also he cannot use QLD rego down there.

yeahhh true true. he has told me he needs my registration to drive it down to vic, because needs to be registered to be driven down there.

because it will happen on a saturday more than likely, i wont be able to transfer my qld rego into his name, if he lives in victoria and being a saturday?

so if he is driving the car down to vic on saturday, what is the best thing for me to do?

DLO01
23-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Like I said. You don't know this person, so best thing for you is to not let him drive it while car is still under your name. The rightfull owner of the car is the person who its registered too. If he does something stoopid and disapears, in the end they'll be looking for you, not him.

simply.shredded
23-08-2012, 08:56 PM
yeah i understand that.

the only way for him to get it to victoria is to drive it, he isnt paying to transport it.

so what do you do?

croolies
23-08-2012, 09:57 PM
dont sell it, simply put, ive learned the hard way, sold a 500 car- was used as a ram raid

1.mile
23-08-2012, 10:08 PM
It really comes down to can you trust the guy? Let him drive down with your plates and then get him to post the plates back and deregister the car.
You can make some sort of contract stating hes liable for any fines between such and such date etc etc.
Thats pretty much all you can do....

simply.shredded
23-08-2012, 10:09 PM
hmmm

might call qld transport tomorrow and just see the best way to protect myself.

not selling it isnt really an option, really want it gone at the moment.

simply.shredded
23-08-2012, 10:10 PM
It really comes down to can you trust the guy? Let him drive down with your plates and then get him to post the plates back and deregister the car.
You can make some sort of contract stating hes liable for any fines between such and such date etc etc.
Thats pretty much all you can do....

yeah ill make sure ill type receipts and make it a type of contract and get a copy of his licence i guess.

DLO01
24-08-2012, 07:02 AM
hmmm

might call qld transport tomorrow and just see the best way to protect myself.

not selling it isnt really an option, really want it gone at the moment.

QLD Transport will tell you exactly what we are telling you.

You could possibly do this:
*disclaimer* Cause I'm not sure if it would actually hold up.

You could write up a document stating the *buyer* has paid in full, blah, blah and from this date on ** resumes property of and full ownership of car, make/model, rego **, chassis no. **, engine no. **. And both sign 2x copies for each.

simply.shredded
24-08-2012, 10:37 AM
they did exactly say that

and even if i did have that document, it wont be legally binding, as everything comes back to the original owner.

hmmm

simply.shredded
24-08-2012, 10:43 AM
if anything does happen on the way down, if i have all his details and a copy of his licence, am i able to forward the fines to him?
the guy seems trustworthy but do you really know..

DLO01
24-08-2012, 12:03 PM
And whats he going to do? Ignore the fines your forwarding him and will still come back to you in the end.

manolii
24-08-2012, 12:24 PM
if anything does happen on the way down, if i have all his details and a copy of his licence, am i able to forward the fines to him?
the guy seems trustworthy but do you really know..

Dont do it

markismaximus
24-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Do as DLO01 has said in post # 4.

DE-REGISTER the car in QLD BEFORE you sell it.

Then he gets temporary CTP and an insurance cover note to cover his trip home.

simply.shredded
30-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Yeah didn't sell it guys

Thanks

Once I said I'm not selling registered he wanted no part so bit suss

BG-33P
30-08-2012, 04:40 PM
I bought my last car from Canberra and drove it to QLD. I drove it to QLD on the previous owners plates and when i got to qld i had 14 days to transfer it to my name.

The previous owner and I both had copies of a Transfer of ownership document and if any fines were to be handed out against the plates then responsibility would have fallen to me because of that document.