PDA

View Full Version : Best cooling for b16a2...

.Dave
26-08-2012, 10:29 AM
Hey guys,

Been searching for a radiator upgrade lately for my eg civic because mine is suspected leaking, just wanted to know people's thoughts on what seems to be working best , personal experience or whatever...

I've heard a lot of "Honda oem units work perfect because they are thin and cool faster"... Yet see a lot of cars running the bigger radiators... Just for bling??

Interested in hearing any information or suggestions to improve my cooling system for street and occasional trackdays...

Thanks guys

Riced_Civic
26-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Koyo, PWR, Mishimoto, Ect Ect theres lots to choose from.

if you upgrade to one of the bigger cores and change ur thermo u should be running alot cooler

eg5civic
26-08-2012, 11:04 AM
My personal experience says dont use oem, buying new from honda (if they still make them for EG) will be expensive, and 2nd hand you run the risk of buying a leaking/blocked/damaged radiator.

As for working better as they are thin and cool faster well thats a crock of shit. Thicker units means more bigger surface area in the radiator, and easier dispersion of heat. More area for the radiator to soak up heat, and more time for the air passing through the radiator to pull heat out of it.

I worked for PWR, personally hand made radiators, oil coolers, intercoolers ect. They offered standard tube and dimple tube for their radiators. Dimple tube has dimples punched into the tube which offers extra cooling as not only is the water touching the outside of the tube cooling but it is passing around the dimples which help with heat dispersion.

My Half size radiator that i made for my EG while there was 2 times thicker than the standard unit with dimple tubing. I drove it for over 3 weeks without a fan on it an not once did it over heat. Just make sure your thermostat works properly also as i had trouble getting my car to heat up on cold winter nights! My radiator was that effective i actually had my temp drop almost 1/2 a bar on the temp guage while on wide open throttle through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear pull down a huge stretch of road.

I also recommend running 1 SPAL fan if you buy a half rad, 2 if you buy a full size. these fans are the ducks nuts when it comes to thermo fans. Davies craig would be my second choice. I think i paid around $150 for my spal fan and it was worth every cent.

All in all, i wouldnt say an alloy rad is bling, its very functional, will save your motor, and looks 1000x better than a stock radiator too.

void-
26-08-2012, 11:12 AM
^^ +1 everything he said is on ball!!

HondaTurboVtec
26-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Brand new Radiator, just don't get OEM.

EKVTIR-T
26-08-2012, 07:59 PM
JDM will be best

eg5civic
26-08-2012, 09:02 PM
Personally I'd go koyo/mishimoto, that's just cause there was bad feelings with the boss when I left pwr haha.
Also pwr products as good as they are, are 100-150 more for a half rad, and that money could be spent buying a good spal fan. I only got Mine as I worked there, I made most of it myself and was cheaper than the jap options.

.Dave
27-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Awesome cheers guys, I'll look into getting a bigger one... Size recommendations? Is it hard to put a full length in?

mocchi
27-08-2012, 09:15 AM
JDM will be best

+1 JASMA brand approved as well

.Dave
27-08-2012, 09:42 AM
+1 JASMA brand approved as well

yeah m8 jasma is quality top of the line japanese brand.... couldnt go past it

.Dave
27-08-2012, 10:16 AM
and last question.. where can i buy without having to sell a kidney to afford it

DakDak
27-08-2012, 10:49 AM
I used to rock a golpher radiator on my dc5r.

EG5
27-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Get a full size radiator
We got Koyo in stock
Mishimoto coming soon

.Dave
27-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Get a full size radiator
We got Koyo in stock
Mishimoto coming soon

might come out friday and talk prices :)

EG5
02-09-2012, 01:06 AM
Mishimoto in stock now