PDA

View Full Version : Our rights as motorists

spetz
29-08-2012, 05:16 AM
Hi,

Police frequently prey on the naivety and ignorance of the average person towards the law. I was hoping we could create a list of what our rights are if we get pulled over.

Some of my queries:
1. Are we allowed to video tape the incident, and what if the police officer requests the camera is turned off?
2. Is the police allowed to search the car without the owners consent?
3. Are we allowed to remain within the vehicle if it is our choice, even after instructed to exit the vehicle?

If anyone knows of any laws which may be in our favor it would be appreciated if you posted it up.

Thanks

xclusive_eg8
29-08-2012, 06:07 AM
When legally can a speeding ticket be issued? I.E only in a well lit straight stretch of road or is a officer allowed to set up anywhere anytime regardless of lighting, climb or drop

How to deal with officers who pull you over for doing nothing but having P plates for instance, don't find anything wrong with car or license but continually egg you on and wait for you to crack or slip up with words so they can fine you

How to deal with the transport compliance guys (QLD) what are they allowed to do and not allowed to do?

spetz
29-08-2012, 06:41 AM
Xclusive, I think there are no limitations in regards to when cops can legally issue a ticket.
To give you an example, I have a friend who was driving on the opposite side of the road when cops went passed. They pulled him over and fined him because in the cops professional judgement he "appeared" to be going 15km/h over the speed limit.
Now, I wasn't in the car but knowing my friend he probably was driving like an idiot and deserved it, but nonetheless this seems to be a ridiculous abuse of power. Lucky for my friend the cop made a mistake on the posted speed limit and had to cancel the ticket, so I don't know how this would have stood in court had my friend protested it.

DakDak
29-08-2012, 07:23 AM
^ No.
They cannot judge your speed by 'glimpse' They are not ninjas, we just assume the all are lol.
My advice to you, is to not open your mouth or deny everything until you see a speed camera reading.

"It looked like he was doing XXX" will not hold up in court. I know this through experience.

You are innocent until proven guilty.
First mistake everyone makes is admitting guilt before seeing the police officers evidence.
"Do you know how fast you were going back there ?"
"Yea about XXX over"

His got you.

Rage King
29-08-2012, 08:13 AM
^^
thats why if u get pulled or accused of speeding, the moment they tell you or ask u how fast you were going, just say "can u pls show me the speed radar of the speed you clocked me doing" dont say anything else, wait until they "can" prove to you as evidence.

If they got none and they say "i was tailgating you and compaired my speed vs yours blah blah, OR they might even say "from the sound of your car and wind speed as you went past me" ..

These are some of the excuses they will try to use if they got no evidence..and yet they will still issue u the ticket. Now if your certain that theyve got nothing on you, the take it to court as most likely u will win.

But if u have had a bad legit driving offence history, then they relate this and **** you sideways.. = u will loose the case.

eg5civic
29-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Yeah exactly right I went through the same thing driving to Melbourne. Cop said he thought I was doing x amount over the limit, I asked to see a speed reading, came back and handed me a fine, went to court and they'd withdrawn the case before the case was even heard.

Never admit anything, even if you were speeding they can't do you without proof.
I had a cop telling me I was going too fast and I had been cruising on 60 in a 60k zone, I kept saying I was doing 60 I was doing 60, he kept saying I think you were doing more, I asked for proof and he stfu and defected me for too low and wheels out the guards (which he had every right to do) but was just Being a greedy kent trying to get a ticket out of me.

spetz
29-08-2012, 08:19 AM
Why do they try to issue tickets so hard? Do they work on a commission basis, or does this only happen to motorists driving tuned cars? ie, would you be treated the same if you were pulled over in a stock Camry?

Rage King
29-08-2012, 08:21 AM
""Rules of Engagement""

Never admit or say anything if being accused. Always ask for evidence.

Remember cops now carry a wireless mic that records the conversation u are having as well as the video footage too.

Rage King
29-08-2012, 08:22 AM
Why do they try to issue tickets so hard? Do they work on a commission basis, or does this only happen to motorists driving tuned cars? ie, would you be treated the same if you were pulled over in a stock Camry?

They receive incentives for having the most legitimate amounts of fines issued on a monthly, quarterly basis.

DakDak
29-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Got to spread some more rep around.

But yea in a nutshell ask for proof. With cops recording everything it works in your favour too, they have to behave courteously and professionally when conversing with you not like some condescending, power-trip bitch in big mans shoes.

EG5civic - That copper had a hissy fit and had to get you for something. And in the end they will, there is always something they can fine you for.

Bayani
29-08-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm still waiting on someone to support their assertions with the relevant legislation.

DakDak
29-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I'm still waiting on someone to support their assertions with the relevant legislation.

I copped an alleged street racing offence once. Cops had no radar reading. No visual, just they 'heard me coming"
All I did was speed up to confirm if I saw my mate, say hello and give him the finger. I was doing 90 max in a 70 zone.

Yes, I shouldn't of done it.

Cops had no evidence so they resorted to scare tactics threatiining to crush my car and my friends.
I shit myself, and signed a incriminating statement, which is the only proof they had
DOH!

Went to court and got a Section 10. Which is a good behaviour bond and got to retain my licence.
The HWY patrolman tried to pin me for 35km over which is the magic hoon number. But he had no proof of it except they heard them coming and it appeared that I was in the wrong. And even if he saw me he is not a robot who can judge my speed my emitting lasers from his eyes which reflect of my car and relay information.

My lawyer told me this. If I hadnt been so honest and kept my mouth shut, I wouldnt of been 4K out of pocket.

Unlpleasant experience. Very costly lesson learnt.

flipfire
29-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Police frequently prey on the naivety and ignorance of the average person towards the law. I was hoping we could create a list of what our rights are if we get pulled over.

Some of my queries:
1. Are we allowed to video tape the incident, and what if the police officer requests the camera is turned off?
3. Are we allowed to remain within the vehicle if it is our choice, even after instructed to exit the vehicle?

If anyone knows of any laws which may be in our favor it would be appreciated if you posted it up.

Thanks

In NSW,

1) Generally, you can photograph/film police as much as you want in public space, as long as its not in a dangerous manner or hinder them in their duties. This probably wont go well in a car situation but personally I have a dashcam mounted on my car that pretty much records everything.

2) Yes they can search your car without consent, but always make it on the record that you do not consent or agree to the search.

3) No they will tell you to turn the ignition off and get out of the car and if necessary, cuff you for their own safety while executing a search.

Rage King
29-08-2012, 03:01 PM
In NSW,

1) Generally, you can photograph/film police as much as you want in public space, as long as its not in a dangerous manner or hinder them in their duties. This probably wont go well in a car situation but personally I have a dashcam mounted on my car that pretty much records everything.

2) Yes they can search your car without consent, but always make it on the record that you do not consent or agree to the search.

3) No they will tell you to turn the ignition off and get out of the car and if necessary, cuff you for their own safety while executing a search.

good answers..
1) this is a great idea - how about cellphones that has recording abilities? - would you rather get a fine for using handheld phones?

2) The police now have the power to search any vehicle without your consent or warrants. This have changed dramatically due to the 9/11 attacks in the US and the Aust govt has changed the powers to search to literally no warrants required.

3) correct - its up to the officer if they feel your a threat to them (via person and vehicle history checks) and they may ask u to step out or stay in vehicle and put your keys on the roof of your vehicle even before they approach you.

makes me wanna be a cop now :p - i heard they are now in the recruiting stages!

curtis265
29-08-2012, 03:26 PM

apparently not but it sounds to me like they do

I think they have a quota to meet to ensure they're doing their jobs

But yea in a nutshell ask for proof. With cops recording everything it works in your favour too, they have to behave courteously and professionally when conversing with you not like some condescending, power-trip bitch in big mans shoes.

this

if you wanna be a smartass to the guy then he's gonna try get you for something else. politeness gets you far

Funnily enough i was applying WOT through the backstreets on the way home once at 2am on a saturday night. The cops had followed me from the main road in and saw it, but they didn't do anything cos they didn't get a reading.. Just did a general licence check/ "is this your car" sorta thing

bennjamin
29-08-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm just going to troll abit -

Personally - I have no hate for police. Yes I look white and don't drive a modified or "sterotypical" hoon car.
But I have before and never had issues as I don't do too much illegal stuff. It seems the same people that complain or always bring up something about how unfair it is / rights etc are generally hoons or can't help
Themselves on the road ?!

I would NEVER act smart in front of a copper - that is , try and record them or state I have rights etc. You aren't a African American in the mid 90's USA possibly fearing your life....

You will look like a douche and frankly will get attitude back and more trouble to begin with.

Rage King
29-08-2012, 05:49 PM
^^i agree.

There was this time when i was a passenger in my uncles car (45+ yrs old) and he drives normally, never been fined for anything etc and his car is a stock holden commy,

Was pulled over randomly for RBT on a busy street, and ask my uncle who i was then the cops did a check on him ad was ok, but checked my history then started to search my uncles car all over bcoz i had a history of carrying knives when i was 13yrs old. Now that im over 35yrs wouldnt the cop think **** this kid has now grown up and has family etc..

Thats just my experience.. So the moral if ur a bad kunt it will hunt u for life.. Lol

Beechy
29-08-2012, 06:18 PM
The simple break down of it all is highway patrols can do and say what ever they like its your word vs there's and they always win it's like when you get a defect yea it might be a legal mod but they dont care they will still issue you with the defect, its up to you to get it cleared and even if it dose pass they will keep doing you over and over no skin off there nose there all gronks and we all just have to live with it.

EKVTIR-T
29-08-2012, 06:20 PM
In NSW,

Do you know if its legal to record the general public via dashcam while driving?

connorling
29-08-2012, 06:24 PM
I would rather copy a speeding fine than defect. Admin speeding n get the cops off my back.

curtis265
29-08-2012, 06:31 PM
I would rather copy a speeding fine than defect. Admin speeding n get the cops off my back.

the best answer is "i don't know, i wasn't eyeing my speedo"

followed by "i'd rather pay attention to the road than staring at my speedo to make sure i don't creep over" if you're daring

eg5civic
29-08-2012, 06:34 PM
Ben, i didnt complain about being defected, i KNOW mycar was too low, had an unpadded steering wheel and wheels out the guards. But trying to bait someone to admit to speeding, when i was legitimately doing the speed limit then harrassing me that "he thinks i wasnt doing the speed limit" is the exact reason why we have speed cameras and why cops (or anyone for that matter) cant judge someones speed by eye.
Thats just being a dick.

Also when i got done for "speeding" coming into Moree (sp?) in NSW, i was overtaken by a 4WD he kept going the speed limit, saw HWP, mashed brakes, HWP turns round comes flying up my ass so i pull to the side to let him pass, car in front also pulls over, so i stop as well. HWP goes and talks to other guy, says he was doing 76 in 60k roadworks, and i think you were doing the same as you were not getting closer to him or further away. This was in the split second of him coming the other way at 60ks.
I told him no i was doing 60 (which i was) and he was being a dick, i asked to see a speed recorded on camera of my car at this speed, he said he didnt have one, asked for my license to run a check (as i was a p plater from qld) and he comes back with a fine and says to me "i suggest you take this to court" hands me the fine and walks off. Now if i had a recording of that ****wit (and i wish i did) i would of taken it to ACA.
This led to a long court process and me driving back to moree over 6 months later during the week to contest it in court, only to walk in and have the NSW police prosecutor tell me they have withdrawn from the case.

I Drove a 12 ****ING hour round trip cause some d!ckbag country cop had nothing better to do in his shithole country town, and the prick didnt even show up at the court that day.

So no, some of us have had bad encounters with police and i have no respect for them if they come across as a cocky prick because of the badge they wear. They are there to enforce the law, they are not the law or above the law.
Respect is a 2 way street and ill show as much as im given

sensei_
29-08-2012, 07:03 PM
apparently not but it sounds to me like they do

I think they have a quota to meet to ensure they're doing their jobs

if you wanna be a smartass to the guy then he's gonna try get you for something else. politeness gets you far

They do have a quota to ensure that they are doing their jobs correctly. And by doing their job, they need to issue certain number of tickets. Hence why you always get dickhead officers who will try and ping you for anything regardless.

ive been pretty lucky with officers, as i dont drive like a hoon or a modded car (either drive a camry or legend), so i guess i slip under the radar.

tripleuse
29-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Xclusive, I think there are no limitations in regards to when cops can legally issue a ticket.
To give you an example, I have a friend who was driving on the opposite side of the road when cops went passed. They pulled him over and fined him because in the cops professional judgement he "appeared" to be going 15km/h over the speed limit.
Now, I wasn't in the car but knowing my friend he probably was driving like an idiot and deserved it, but nonetheless this seems to be a ridiculous abuse of power. Lucky for my friend the cop made a mistake on the posted speed limit and had to cancel the ticket, so I don't know how this would have stood in court had my friend protested it.

they can do this, did your friend admit he was in the wrong? if he was to bring the matter to court, the police officer has to prove your friend was going over the speed limit. From the scenario you have told, the police officer has a weak case(UNLESS your friend admitted going over the speed limit) and most likely he would be let off.

EKVTIR-T
29-08-2012, 07:12 PM
If it goes to court based on judgement that it "appeared to be" from the officer it wont hold up

Ive challenged a few driving charges in the past and won

bennjamin
29-08-2012, 07:34 PM
eg5civic - my comment wasn't aimed at you - I haven't read any other post in this thread , just the title ! Sorry if I offended you mate. A good discussion we have here anyways

spetz
29-08-2012, 07:34 PM
How do you prove in court that the officer did not have a speed radar reading though?
It just seems they are free to bend the truth to their convenience and you cannot protest it.

Personally I've never had an issue with cops. I've been pulled over/fined but I knew I broke the law and I was nice to the cops, and they've always been nice to me as well.
However reading some of the stories here is a bit unsettling

eg5civic
29-08-2012, 07:42 PM
eg5civic - my comment wasn't aimed at you - I haven't read any other post in this thread , just the title ! Sorry if I offended you mate. A good discussion we have here anyways

yeah i replied then went out and got dinner and i was like fuark, i dont think ben aimed that at me haha, sorry had a shitty day, vented a bit lol
I think what i meant was i dont gripe about the defects, yeah its shit but i know that i can be done for them, and thats my choice to have my car like that, but for them to be a general douche and bait a ticket out of you, whether your in the right or wrong, is just petty.

How do you prove in court that the officer did not have a speed radar reading though?
It just seems they are free to bend the truth to their convenience and you cannot protest it.

Personally I've never had an issue with cops. I've been pulled over/fined but I knew I broke the law and I was nice to the cops, and they've always been nice to me as well.

Well i assume if its dash mounted they'd have the footage. Dunno about hand held. But im sure they'd have a voice recording on file for any pull over, so if you ask to see a speed reading and they cannot show you then they have the evidence themselves that they couldn't provide a reading. On the same hand, that's why i will probably start using my iphones voice recorder to record any dealings with them. You have the same evidence as them, just you have a copy you can refer to,

Rage King
29-08-2012, 07:47 PM
It just seems they are free to bend the truth to their convenience and you cannot protest it

By asking the officer the moment they accuse you about speeding then u ask politely can i please see the reading. If they dont have it and they predict or assume, dont say anything else and accept the ticket and take it to court if your certain they got nothing on u.

But if u ran over someone or destroyed property etc due to speeding then your ****ed no point contesting the matter in court lollllolol

tripleuse
29-08-2012, 08:02 PM

you dont have to prove anything. HE is the one accusing so he must prove you are in the wrong, if he cannot prove it he has no case. they are free to bend the rules on the ROAD but in court they are not.
don't get me wrong, i am very respectful to cops, they are not the bad guys. But you never admit yourself in the wrong, its just asking to get ****ed on. Once you admit u are in the wrong they legally have to book you.

flipfire
29-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Do you know if its legal to record the general public via dashcam while driving?

Yes a few things i learned doing photography. Its perfectly legal to photograph/film anyone or anything in a public space, with or without consent. Under Australian law, there are no rights to privacy from cameras in public. The only thing one can do is what celebs do, cover your face. Detailed info here (http://4020.net/words/photorights.php).

Even if you enter private property like Westfields, they can only ask you to leave for filming. They cannot detain you nor force you to show them the camera and delete stuff, that would be coercion.

Also last time police tried to stop someone filming in public this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ifWjpcqjBM

But in a car situation, you probably shouldnt pull out your mobile phone and point it directly at a cops face. That attitude would just piss him off and make a big cluster**** in the end.

GU357
29-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Hi,

Some of my queries:

Thanks

1. video taping is meant to be legal last i heard as it is a way of keeping the police in check.

2. Yehs they can if your on public road.

3. if u are told to get out of the car whilst on public road then i believe u must.

its differentto being in your house.

spetz
29-08-2012, 08:30 PM
On another note, once I witnessed someone being arrested by a bunch of cops, and I asked "what did he do?" and a reply from a female cop was "get out of here before we lock you up".
Of course, I just kept walking, but I find this to be abuse on some level, and am I obligated to accept it? I guess what I am asking is could they lock me up had I not left and/or made a few more questions?

GU357
29-08-2012, 08:38 PM
On another note, once I witnessed someone being arrested by a bunch of cops, and I asked "what did he do?" and a reply from a female cop was "get out of here before we lock you up".
Of course, I just kept walking, but I find this to be abuse on some level, and am I obligated to accept it? I guess what I am asking is could they lock me up had I not left and/or made a few more questions?

nah, your alloowed to watch just as your allowed to film. its the average civilians rights that is designed to help prevent cops from going too far.

flipfire
29-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Female cops are usually super aggressive to men to show dominance. Having a vag doesnt exactly scare hard crims.

TbM
29-08-2012, 08:47 PM
if you were just standing there watching then there is no problem, but when you start asking questions when your not involved they will tell you to move on, once you have been told to move on then your required to follow the officers orders.

curtis265
29-08-2012, 08:48 PM

acting tough

shoulda said 'make me'

then you get a move on order

DakDak
29-08-2012, 08:52 PM
I saw this chick copper chase this suspect down, as she ran past me she stacked it hard. Face planted.

I heard that distinct THUD.

Gets back up keeps running past me

LOLOLOL

sensei_
29-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Female cops are usually super aggressive to men to show dominance. Having a vag doesnt exactly scare hard crims.

yup, and not just female cops. female customs and quarantine officers also tend to have a attitude problem too. i guess its their way of asserting their power, and it only works on people who dont want trouble (ie. people like you and me). on the other hand, hard crims just laugh at them.

I saw this chick copper chase this suspect down, as she ran past me she stacked it hard. Face planted.

LOLOLOL

i saw a cop on a motorbike overtake me at speed only to lose it on a corner, stacked it hard, and broke a few pieces off the bike. i had a good chuckle because at the way he overtook me, i could tell he was one of them douchey officers who are all out to book as many motorist as possible.

spetz
29-08-2012, 09:30 PM
In my opinion, and apologies if I offend anyone, but I think that women in Australia are too empowered. It has gone from them wanting equal rights to demanding special treatment and double standards. And sadly I have seen so many Australian men cave into women.

sensei_
29-08-2012, 11:53 PM
not just australia my friend. any of the industrial worlds that have given women "equal rights" tend to abuse it.

GU357
30-08-2012, 12:57 AM
kind of goin off topic here....
just sayan, super sayan!
http://images.wikia.com/projecthikari/images/3/3b/Klen_Super_Saiyan_by_NeDan89.jpg

DakDak
30-08-2012, 08:58 AM
yup, and not just female cops. female customs and quarantine officers also tend to have a attitude problem too. i guess its their way of asserting their power, and it only works on people who dont want trouble (ie. people like you and me). on the other hand, hard crims just laugh at them.

This is going to make me look like a chauvinist but from experience this is TRUE. Doesnt happen all the time but when it does, IT FU(KEN SH1TS ME
Many moons ago when I was going through boot camp, my Corporal was a chick. There was something really wrong with her.

The other male NCO's were stern and put you in your place, but only to instill qualities and values into you. This bitch just like to yell cause no one would take her serious because she was a medic. Which isnt a bad thing, but she saw it as a weakness which she made up for my portraying herself as some mad dog, yelling at everyone. In particular me, I dont know why she always used to pick me last and give me shit. At the end of training I ended up with a trophy for my jedi skills.

No thanks to that slag. Always telling people how she is Special forces qualified.
No one gives a sh1t your not in the special forces so STFU. NO CHICKS ALLOWED.

i saw a cop on a motorbike overtake me at speed only to lose it on a corner, stacked it hard, and broke a few pieces off the bike. i had a good chuckle because at the way he overtook me, i could tell he was one of them douchey officers who are all out to book as many motorist as possible.

HAHAHA.
"I AM THE LAW"
Goes wrecklessly to fast into a corner. To prove his bad-arse-ry.
Loses control and crashes
'I WANT MY MUMMY ME LEG HURTS!"

Setanta
30-08-2012, 11:10 AM
After almost 30 years of driving modified cars I can happily say that politeness counts. I read half of the questions and responses and couldn't stop laughing at them :D

If in doubt as to what to do, ask Chris Rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

dougie_504
30-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Glad to know I can record a video on my iPhone if I get pulled over. Thanks dudes!

From my experience I have also found that being polite goes a long way. Only ever copped sh!t from a cop once because I almost ran him over but I don't think it was my fault. I turned a corner and in front of me a 4WD was driving slow, then turned into a Safeway, so I went to speed up (70 zone) only to realise a cop standing in the middle of a lane on Princes Highway had flagged him into a RBT lol. He yelled, swore, slammed his radio on my bonnet, I should fine you for wreckless driving etc.
Just said I'm sorry dude, didn't see you behind the 4WD, won't happy again etc. Got off.
Most of them are just normal people like us. Have good days and bad days, but probably well-intended for the most part otherwise they'd surely have picked a better/higher paying career.

In my opinion, and apologies if I offend anyone, but I think that women in Australia are too empowered. It has gone from them wanting equal rights to demanding special treatment and double standards. And sadly I have seen so many Australian men cave into women.

Don't agree with you here. All people should be empowered. I'm all for equality, but not 'sameness' and there's a big difference. Women don't have equality and lets be honest - men love power (and enjoy it more often) just as much or more than they do. We just don't like it when the boot's on the other foot for once, since for thousands of years the majority of civilisation has been patriarchal not matriarchal.

I work in a female-dominated industry. You really notice the amount of BS they get because they're a large group of women. Crap rights, crap pay, SFA appreciation for what they do... and I was stupid enough to join them :(

EKVTIR-T
30-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Guys I found this dashcam in Big W for $78 and the video quality looks good from the youtube examples

The True 720p high definition video gives you enough detail to pick out number plates, street signs and even the faces of witnesses. Recording in a continuous loop, the NAVCAM-HD turns on when you car is on and turns off when you switch off the ignition, simply "set and forget".
You can even choose to leave the unit on (it has a rechargable battery) when you're not there and the NAVCAM-HD will start recording as soon as it senses movement... ideal for those times when your car is unattended in a car park.

http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/cameras-camcorders/digital-camcorders/navig8r-crash-cam (http://www.bigw.com.au/electronics/cameras-camcorders/digital-camcorders/bpnBIGW_0000000311513/navig8r-crash-cam)

http://www.bigw.com.au/media/BIGW/Product/300x300/8292823_0_9999_med_v1_m56577569848004289.jpg

:thumbsup:

dougie_504
30-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Very interesting. Would have saved me a few hundred $$$ on my last crash when some b!tch pulled out in front of me from a parallel park, admitted guilt, then told her insurance company I tried to overtake her while she turned right into a driveway.

I didn't see anywhere about how long it can record for?

Anybody wanna be guinea pig?

GU357
30-08-2012, 07:50 PM
i have a gator one that i got for about the same price, i find that it consumes alot of memory 20 min clip is like 4gb.
which is great if u wanna record a track event. so you really need a big SD card for these devices.

GU357
30-08-2012, 07:51 PM
however i find these things are right in the way!
i had to mount mine on my rear quarter window and face it out.

EKVTIR-T
30-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Wow scratch that,JB got for $68 lol http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-sound/car-combo-packs/laser-navcamhd-navig-8 (http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-sound/car-combo-packs/laser-navcamhd-navig-8-r-2-5-crash-cam-srp-99-factory-scoop/672725)

Supports Micro SDHC up to 32GB so need to figure the recording capacity from there

Drifter995
30-08-2012, 07:57 PM
nearest big w is in hobart, screw that..
And yeah, I've been let off most times because I'm polite, and let the police do their job. If you're a rude ass, they'll be rude back.

dougie_504
30-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Wow scratch that,JB got for $68 lol http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-sound/car-combo-packs/laser-navcamhd-navig-8 (http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/car-sound/car-combo-packs/laser-navcamhd-navig-8-r-2-5-crash-cam-srp-99-factory-scoop/672725)

Supports Micro SDHC up to 32GB so need to figure the recording capacity from there

Well if GU357's device records in 720 like this one, then we can assume it could record up to 160min of footage. Very useful, probably only ever 'need' the previous 1-15mins anyway, then save and use it later.

EKVTIR-T
30-08-2012, 08:05 PM
yeah it can loop record anyway

Loop cycle record in selectable 2 or 5 or 15 minute increments

GU357
30-08-2012, 08:14 PM
yeh thats good but does it delete the oldest loop?

some dont, which is kinda useless.

but the auto on function would be good, mine required u to turn it on.

sensei_
30-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Guys I found this dashcam in Big W for $78 and the video quality looks good from the youtube examples

im thinking of getting a Blackvue DR400 (http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83) for my car. Something discreet as it sits behind the rear view mirror.

EKVTIR-T
30-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Yeah that ones nice,I just cant justify spending that much

If I was a taxi or courier driver I would

GU357
30-08-2012, 09:56 PM
full HD at 30fps?
thats some, serious quality, car chase scenes for hollywood.
taxis in WA pretty much all have a 8000% security system installed, 3 cameras in-cab; pointing to the driver passenger and rear passengers. Plus 2 wide angle ones on top pointing in each direction to catch the people entering the vehicle.
and then its all live monitored by the security agents at the company they work for, so swan taxi or whatever.

The topic reminds me,
My Friend last friday night was parked at a carpark near the beach, he was with some chick (doin something). Until a black 4x4 drives up to his door and puts the highbeams on through his door window, a bunch of guys jumped out the car and told him to get out, he thought he was going to get rolled for his car. So he quickly starts it up throws into revers and drive out of there as fast as he can, the 4x4 chases him, hes doing 120 in a 60zone i believe to outrun these guys (he has a DC2) he winds down his window and hears sirens but theirs no lights or nything around him so he presumes someones taking the piss to trick him into stopping.

Eventually hes intercepted by a police car, which has lights.
The black 4x4 was an undercover car, which was playing the siren but for some stupid reason had no lights installed.
Long story short, he didnt recieve a fine because the police didn't identify themselves as such.
However when he reversed out one the officers smacked his card door 4 times with a torch so he has these massive dents in his door.

curtis265
30-08-2012, 10:05 PM
full HD at 30fps?
thats some, serious quality, car chase scenes for hollywood.
taxis in WA pretty much all have a 8000% security system installed, 3 cameras in-cab; pointing to the driver passenger and rear passengers. Plus 2 wide angle ones on top pointing in each direction to catch the people entering the vehicle.
and then its all live monitored by the security agents at the company they work for, so swan taxi or whatever.

The topic reminds me,
My Friend last friday night was parked at a carpark near the beach, he was with some chick (doin something). Until a black 4x4 drives up to his door and puts the highbeams on through his door window, a bunch of guys jumped out the car and told him to get out, he thought he was going to get rolled for his car. So he quickly starts it up throws into revers and drive out of there as fast as he can, the 4x4 chases him, hes doing 120 in a 60zone i believe to outrun these guys (he has a DC2) he winds down his window and hears sirens but theirs no lights or nything around him so he presumes someones taking the piss to trick him into stopping.

The black 4x4 was an undercover car, which was playing the siren but for some stupid reason had no lights installed.
Long story short, he didnt recieve a fine because the police didn't identify themselves as such.
However when he reversed out one the officers smacked his card door 4 times with a torch so he has these massive dents in his door.

wtfffffffffffffffffffff m8 that's dogg

police don't just ask you to get out of your car like that do they?

GU357
30-08-2012, 10:08 PM
apparantly they do, they kinda jumped him. and all jumped out the car and knocked on his window yelling get out of the car.
he was like wtf, im not getting bashed tonight. woop.

bennjamin
30-08-2012, 10:34 PM
apparantly they do, they kinda jumped him. and all jumped out the car and knocked on his window yelling get out of the car.

Having been attacked by a bunch of guiz in a situation like this i wouldnt think twice - BOLT !

eg5civic
30-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Don't agree with you here. I'm all for equality, but not 'sameness' and there's a big difference. Women don't have equality

Going off topic here but i think yes women should have more rights but equality is a two way street. Womens tennis for example. they want same cash prize as men, they play best of 3 sets men play best of 5.
Derp. that's not equality. Thats we dont have the physical capacity to play 5 hour matchs like men but we want same money.
End of the day theres things men cant do and women can, and theres things women cant do and men can.

As for what was said i think some female officers do throw their "authority" around to prove they are big girls who can hold their own. But some just go about it completely the wrong way

curtis265
30-08-2012, 10:47 PM

Agreed with Benny, if i can't tell they're police immediately i'll run for my life

Jasemas
30-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Agreed with Benny, if i can't tell they're police immediately i'll run for my life

Hence why i have breaker bar hahah

flipfire
30-08-2012, 11:37 PM
im thinking of getting a Blackvue DR400 (http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83) for my car. Something discreet as it sits behind the rear view mirror.

Much cheaper on ebay, also in v2. Only issue with that model is it takes about 40seconds for it to initialize before recording starts.

sensei_
30-08-2012, 11:49 PM
The topic reminds me,

now the fun is beginning to see if your mate will get reimbursed for the massive dents in door.

Much cheaper on ebay, also in v2. Only issue with that model is it takes about 40seconds for it to initialize before recording starts.

yup, well aware of that. even with the power magic pro it will cost less than $250 shipped from korea. *IMO* its worth it if it saves me from one accident claim or property damage.

curtis265
30-08-2012, 11:53 PM
Hence why i have breaker bar hahah

y'know.. in case someone needs their wheel changed or something

now the fun is beginning to see if your mate will get reimbursed for the massive dents in door.

also interesting - do the police think that denting someone's car will make them stop? lol

sensei_
30-08-2012, 11:57 PM
y'know.. in case someone needs their wheel changed or something

also interesting - do the police think that denting someone's car will make them stop? lol

breaker bar = just did tyre rotation at home ;). now going out on a test drive :P

denting the door = sounds like car jackers than cops to me.

GU357
31-08-2012, 03:40 AM
yeh, hes trying to see what he can do, if i get any news and remember i will update.

another note i dont think 1 guy with a breaker bar is gonna be taking down 4 cops with big heavy torches and batons.
first you have to get out the car run to the boot open it and then lift the floor to get to them.

i keep a umbrella on the backseat of my car, it has a sword handle though, so it looks like a sword but off with the sleeve and its an umbrella.

eg5civic
31-08-2012, 07:20 AM
lol you keep your breaker bar in your boot?
I kept my little standard right angle tyre iron in between my door and seat, and then a 600mm long bit of 2.5" round urethane in behind my seat too. Even though its not enough to maim someone that hard urethane stings like a bitch and leaves some decent marks

Indie
31-08-2012, 07:33 AM
I love all these tough-guy stories people have about the various weapons they keep in their cars... Watched a few too many films, I reckon.

bennjamin
31-08-2012, 07:45 AM
I love all these tough-guy stories people have about the various weapons they keep in their cars... Watched a few too many films, I reckon.

I agree- keeping a weapon on you is asking for more trouble.

EG52NV
31-08-2012, 08:20 AM
I agree- keeping a weapon on you is asking for more trouble.

You must be asking for trouble all the time then Ben, pretty sure you don't carry a permit for those guns you got ;P

Rage King
31-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Fck these weaps..

The only weap/gun i carry is the one hanging down between my legs :p

dougie_504
31-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Well I had an altercation the other day as I was parking outside my hospital.

Almost came to blows with two drunk guys who were upset with me driving slowly so I could stop and do a reverse parallel park.

My steering wheel lock never gets used but I primarily keep it in my car for reasons like this though I've fortunately never had to use it. If I'm going to be outnumbered I want a weapon, full stop. Last year an orderly from my work was assaulted and robbed. Very nice Scottish bloke named Tom. Only last month a woman was raped after being discharged from the emergency department. And in the park across the road there has been one suicide (hanging from tree) and one person's decapitates head found.

So screw the whole 'no weapunz bra' thing I'd rather have a backup plan tbh. It's just a wheel lock and I first had it for that reason but now that I don't bother with it it has become a safety measure to me.

DakDak
31-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Well I had an altercation the other day as I was parking outside my hospital.

Almost came to blows with two drunk guys who were upset with me driving slowly so I could stop and do a reverse parallel park.

My steering wheel lock never gets used but I primarily keep it in my car for reasons like this though I've fortunately never had to use it. If I'm going to be outnumbered I want a weapon, full stop. Last year an orderly from my work was assaulted and robbed. Very nice Scottish bloke named Tom. Only last month a woman was raped after being discharged from the emergency department. And in the park across the road there has been one suicide (hanging from tree) and one person's decapitates head found.

So screw the whole 'no weapunz bra' thing I'd rather have a backup plan tbh. It's just a wheel lock and I first had it for that reason but now that I don't bother with it it has become a safety measure to me.

Some people live in candy cane world. Me and Dougie_504 reside on planet earth. Not about being the tough guy, it's just being prepared.
No I dont walk the street with a concealed handgun. But I do have a breaker bar that I keep with me to undo my wheel nuts if I ever get a flat. Or break your face if you try to jump/rob/rape me.

I see crazy shit going down all the time in Sydney South Wild West.

butterfingers
31-08-2012, 10:10 AM
Some people live in candy cane world. Me and Dougie_504 reside on planet earth. Not about being the tough guy, it's just being prepared.
No I dont walk the street with a concealed handgun. But I do have a breaker bar that I keep with me to undo my wheel nuts if I ever get a flat. Or break your face if you try to jump/rob/rape me.

amen, brother.

or jsut scream at them that you were in SASR sniping Afghans in a Shah-i-Kot Valley in 2001

curtis265
31-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Regarding the makeshift weapons - if you're getting road rage attacked by some 6"3 100kg road raging knob would you rather get attacked and wait for the law to deal with it, or have some sort of method to fend him off/make him hesitate long enough for you to get away?

I don't agree with having guns given they have the potential to easily kill someone but a big stick isn't really going to kill someone without some serious effort - i.e. if you're prone to blind rage you probably shouldn't carry one... not that you'll be aware of it until it's too late

Be water my friend

GU357
31-08-2012, 10:21 AM

ahh silvia drivers must not carry weapons, might steal myself an s15 tonight.

sensei_
31-08-2012, 10:36 AM

well, better to have something to fend off a lunatic than be sorry.

i was driving down a small back lane the other day, had a cyclist come out from the side from a T junction. he proceeded to abuse me for failing to give way even though he was riding like a lunatic, and ignoring stop signs. he even approached my car and tried to open the door (passenger side), luckily for me, i had locked the door (gf in car), if not he wouldve probably tried to attack me. instead i pull out the tyre lever, and place it on the centre console for him to see, only then did he back off.

Be water my friend

this. well said.

flipfire
31-08-2012, 10:48 AM
I only got jumper cables in my car. Best i can do is nipple clamp someone to the battery.

DakDak
31-08-2012, 11:28 AM
I only got jumper cables in my car. Best i can do is nipple clamp someone to the battery.

HAHAH be creative.

Use them as Nunchuku.

amen, brother.

or jsut scream at them that you were in SASR sniping Afghans in a Shah-i-Kot Valley in 2001

HAHAHA I'll look them dead in the eye and pull out some Gran Torino quotes.

Thug: Go to sleep old man
Walt Kowalski: How about I blow a hole in your face; then go inside and sleep like a baby.

Or maybe this,

Walt Kowalski to Hmong Thug: I used to stack g00k fu(ks likes you five feet high in Korea... use ya for sand bags.

eg5civic
31-08-2012, 01:14 PM

^^ this guy knows

i dont have them to maim someone, i have them if someone trys something stupid its like "hey wait a sec he has a weapon with a half a metre reach on me, he might get to me before i get to him"

Laborer at our work (old dude like 5ft tall lol) was grabbed round the throat and nearly hauled out of his car at the lights waiting for them to change. He couldnt do anything, and luckily pressed the window up button and nearly caught the dudes arm in the window. Now If he'd had the nice little standard honda wheel bar right next to him, its withing arms reach and you can jam the lowlife scum in the face with it.

sensei_
31-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Laborer at our work (old dude like 5ft tall lol) was grabbed round the throat and nearly hauled out of his car at the lights waiting for them to change. He couldnt do anything, and luckily pressed the window up button and nearly caught the dudes arm in the window. Now If he'd had the nice little standard honda wheel bar right next to him, its withing arms reach and you can jam the lowlife scum in the face with it.

if i was the guy i would just drive thru the intersection. and i guarantee that i will grab his arm and take the bastard along for a ride on the outside with me.

eg5civic
31-08-2012, 02:36 PM
hes like 55+ years old, and 5ft of skin and bones and the dude grabbing him was some huge maori.
The hope he had was catching his arm with the window and he said he had every intention to drag him as far as he could if he got the bastards arm caught but the dude managed to get it out before it got caught

sensei_
31-08-2012, 02:55 PM
holy shit.... thats scary you just never know what lunatic you are going to get when you go out for a drive.

GU357
31-08-2012, 08:20 PM
used the car cam, for first time in a while.
recorded 9:30min of footage, came to 1.6gb.
or there abouts.

but I've loaded it with a bigger card, went to Havery Normans and grabbed a 16gb SD card.
list price was $130, but i knew the go so i got it for cost, which was $15.
dont want to insult oz_striker but the price seemed a bit extreme.
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/GU357/IMAG0328.jpg

my one is pretty lame quality its alright but not for making movies, it captures my pimples however.
But its kind of too bulky to have on the windscreen because the EG windscreen is quite sloped in so it doesn't fit near the bottom and i hate having stuff stuck to the windscreen in the center. so i stick it to my rear quarter window and face it forward.

but if u dont mind that, it has some nice features.
motion detection record
looping plus deleting old files
Has infrared lights n that, and they turn on automatically.
overall not bad.
also some shades are lumped together as one, so a tree with multiple greens on it shows up as like 3 different shades and that seems to be the most green it can provide.
but it helps keep the pixel count high and the size lower i guess.

euRo_noob
01-09-2012, 12:53 AM
My friends and I have thought about getting dash cameras ourselves but just too lazy to pull the trigger. I myself don't want a big thing on my windscreen lol. (Been watching too many fails on YouTube from dashcams).

About weapons in the car - I went on a road trip towards the end of last year with some friends to Rye and I thought about cutting up some mesh and sticking it in front of my car so the "army" of these giant bugs don't get stuck in my grille and radiator etc. Anyways, after cutting up the mesh, I threw my scissors at the bottom of my front passenger footwell and I just bought a breaker bar earlier that day too before heading off (left the breaker bar under my seat because I was in a rush).

Blah blah blah, I got to Rye, we were heading to the beach, as we turned into the parking lot, there was a crew of police officers getting in their cars with a camera crew. My car was fairly lowered so I was like fml. They came over, said my car was too low, did a search of my car, found the pair of scissors and breaker bar, brought it out and accused me of having them there as weapons.

Officer: Why do you have these in the front of your car?
Me: I used the scissors to cut up the mesh for the ride here. I just bought that breaker bar.. I still got the tag on it, haven't even used it.
Officer: Mate, I used to work in your area (Sunshine), I know what you guys are like (I'm Asian)!
Me in my head: wtf?......... racist c*nt?
Me: What? I have no intentions of using them as weapons, they were there because of this road trip.
Officer: Alright now, you can stop lying. I'm not a fu(cking idiot. I can fine you right now on the spot for 1,000 for carry weapons

And it went on and I just ended up just saying ok, whatever... He didn't fine me but says if I do it in the future, I will get fined by others.. I was "lucky" he said.

Still copped a defect zzz lol

sensei_
01-09-2012, 01:15 AM
im thinking of doing a mass order of those blackvue dashcams that sit behind the rear view mirror. hardly intrusive. anyone know if any ozhonda forum'ers are interested?

spetz
01-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Sensei I would be somewhat interested, but a bit later.
The issue is it may become a target for theft

GU357
01-09-2012, 01:23 AM
what price are you getting them at?

also thats racial profiling. i would of gone off my rocker!!
unless your surrounded by a bunch of american pilots in 2001 i dont think anyones gonna be scared of your scissors...

EKVTIR-T
01-09-2012, 01:31 AM
I ended up going with a 1080p Kodak PlayTouch for $40 from Catchoftheday

http://drh1.img.digitalriver.com/DRHM/Storefront/Company/ekconsus/images//products/EKN037218/0900688a80d2cdb3/0900688a80d2cdb3_EKN037218_PLAYTOUCH_black_style_6 45x370.jpg

Will report back with results..

GU357
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
looks pretty good!

dougie_504
01-09-2012, 03:21 AM
How big is it? Looks smart phone sized?

EKVTIR-T
01-09-2012, 03:31 AM
Quite small,has a tripod screw base also

http://cdn.pocket-lint.com/images/495a/kodak-playtouch-pocket-camcorder-review-10.jpg%3F20110712-094941

EKVTIR-T
01-09-2012, 03:34 AM
I figure it cant be any worse than the generic ebay ones for that price lol

mocchi
01-09-2012, 08:16 AM
dont forget to update us bawris

modify
01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Some of my queries:

Record what exactly? Whilst they are searching your car?
Police can simply stop you for the purpose of conducting a roadside breath test, aka random breath test.

Not sure which state your in? Police in NSW must adhere to the Law Enforcement Powers and Responsibiltiies Act 2002 (LEPRA) when exercising a power.

They can search your vehicle with your consent, OR without your consent / warrant if they suspect on "reasonable" grounds that for e.g. your vehicle was used in the commission of an offence. A scenario may be your car matching the description of an armed robbery 15 minutes ago.

For a complete list. See Section 36 LEPRA 2002 (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/leara2002451/s36.html)

If the police officer informs you the vehicle is going to be searched based on a reasonable suspicion as mentioned above... You must comply. If you don't comply expect reasonable force to be applied for the purpose of exercising their power.

Hope that helps.

GU357
01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
you would think that the answer has already been posted after like 8 pages of this thread, but ppl still post aha.

modify
01-09-2012, 10:53 AM
you would think that the answer has already been posted after like 8 pages of this thread, but ppl still post aha.

Yeah funny enough you would think that hey... but having skimmed through all 8 pages, all I see is discussion re: personal stories, rough female coppers and then car camera's.

People still post because the answer hasn't been addressed. I've given a detailed response highlighting actual NSW law legislation VS "my brother told me this...."

Ha!

Next time a cop pulls you over, tell them "You can't ask me to get out of the car, coz someone said you have no right to".

sensei_
01-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Sensei I would be somewhat interested, but a bit later.
The issue is it may become a target for theft

It can be hidden pretty well behind the rear view. If you wanted to go one better, I was thinking of making something like a sock with the holes in the right places to go over the car camera. should disguise it abit and make it all cute. like some people with those angry birds or snoopy plush toys on the dash.

what price are you getting them at?

still in talks with my contact. im hoping to get the camera for like under $190 standalone, and for those who need it the power magic pro power management for under $30

not a huge saving, but hopefully the more people i get onboard, the better it can be. if there is enough interest (and its allowed) i can start a thread for interest checks.

curtis265
01-09-2012, 01:22 PM
It can be hidden pretty well behind the rear view. If you wanted to go one better, I was thinking of making something like a sock with the holes in the right places to go over the car camera. should disguise it abit and make it all cute. like some people with those angry birds or snoopy plush toys on the dash.

still in talks with my contact. im hoping to get the camera for like under $190 standalone, and for those who need it the power magic pro power management for under $30

not a huge saving, but hopefully the more people i get onboard, the better it can be. if there is enough interest (and its allowed) i can start a thread for interest checks.

I'm quite keen, will think about it more

also is thaat what you do with your socks? lol

GU357
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Yeah funny enough you would think that hey... but having skimmed through all 8 pages, all I see is discussion re: personal stories, rough female coppers and then car camera's.

People still post because the answer hasn't been addressed. I've given a detailed response highlighting actual NSW law legislation VS "my brother told me this...."

Ha!

Next time a cop pulls you over, tell them "You can't ask me to get out of the car, coz someone said you have no right to".

so when he does pull me over im gonna say, according to modify on the ozhonda forums he says you must have cause.
sounds just as iffy, doesnt matter. its already been adressed, on page 1 and 2 n that.

*vtec-screamer
01-09-2012, 04:17 PM

LOLOLOL

did she run past you twice? lol

Lukey
01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
i got a 38mm spanner next to my seat

what

DakDak
01-09-2012, 06:31 PM
did she run past you twice? lol

Nah picture this. Some fat guy is running for his life and guns it past you. Your eyes are fixed on him as he runs past.

Your facing the direction his running. THEN YOU HEAR.

"STOP"

You spin around and see a copper coming from the same direction. As she gets pretty much next too you as she's sprinting past, she slips on a magic, invisible, banana skin.

THUD!!!!!!!!!!!
Face first.

I ROAR in a fit of laughter.

Instantaneously gets back up and keeps running as if it just did not happen.

Bayani
01-09-2012, 06:51 PM
For NSW:

You can record them.

I would recommend that if you do, you inform them immediately after they inform you of any recording they may be doing.

These devices are not subject to the conditions set out in Section 7.1a of the Surveillance Act, so long they satisfy stipulations in Section 7.2 or 7.3.

I point out in particular Section 7.2d (if you are refusing a search) or Section 7.3a (if you inform them that you are recording) or 7.3b (if the device is there for the reasonable protection of your lawful interest).

I will be defending my possession with Section 7.3b as mine is a crash camera; though will use 7.3a when interviewed for any offence I may be pulled over and questioned about.

My concern is accidents and road rage -- not the police.

Read this on recording policy: http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/175269/Media_Policy_2011_Comp.pdf

And this for the actual legislation:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/sessionalview/sessional/TITLE/Surveillance%20Devices%20Act%202007%20No%2064.pdf

Okay.
So, Next question?

chunky
02-09-2012, 01:18 AM
more reason to buy a dash cam?
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacuum/glance/253169/worst-insurance-scam-filmed.glance

sensei_
02-09-2012, 02:40 AM
how about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXuEcfLl698

*vtec-screamer
02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
^ for some reason..if you have a dash camera, it's like you're asking for an accident/trouble, it's like you're attracting negative-energy..anyone? it's all over youtube, especially in Russia..lol too many fails.

sensei_
02-09-2012, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't say asking for trouble, but at least you are protected ceteris paribus

Bayani
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
That's like saying putting safety rails on a balcony causes falls off balconies.

LOL

Most studies on the subject suggest that any benefit gained through the changing of driver behavior when a camera is installed dissipates after about two weeks.

sensei_
02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
if the drivers cannot change their behaviour then we cannot help them regardless. i have a mate who is a pure blooded hoon, and you know what, whatever you tell him goes in one ear and out the other. we cannot insure against ignorant people, we can only protect our own arses.

GU357
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
its funny, nothing ever happens when my cam is on.

the other night it rained in perth and there were coppers all over the place jumping speeders and that if my dash cam hadnt fallen off the window and died i could of caught a few coppers in action, or even gotten a video of this retarded old woman that thought she could drive through an intersection when she was 1 meter away from being skewed by my car. we could of had Tbone skyline :(

androo
03-09-2012, 01:00 AM
more reason to buy a dash cam?
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/viralvacuum/glance/253169/worst-insurance-scam-filmed.glance
Someone played too much Saints Row...

EKVTIR-T
07-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Finally got the Kodak cam from catchoftheday and got around to make a quick sample vid after days of rain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=110ywvGRivs

Mounted on rearview mirror and hardly noticeable from outside vehicle,so quite stealthy :thumbsup:

The quality isnt amazing but for the low price Im happy with it

If you were to spend + $100 or more you'd want GoProHD or something with a more significant lense :)

flipfire
07-09-2012, 04:18 PM
Quality looks pretty good at 1080p, you can clearly see other peoples number plates. Does it record speed and GPS location?

GoPro has great quality but it doesnt turn on via ignition or record over the oldest files.

dougie_504
07-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I reckon that's great quality for either fun recording or safety (crashes etc)

GU357
08-09-2012, 01:37 AM
thats great quality compared to my shitty one.

speaking of which i was on the freeway when a copper drove past and as he was driving the lights where blown off his car and he was chasing some dude so didnt notice/stop, he dragged them down the road whilst they were getting dragged and busted up along the freeway. caught it on cam but its almost unidentifiable.

Bayani
08-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Do you mean the lights were being dragged along the ground?

dougie_504
08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Does the camera come with software to edit the video files?

GU357
08-09-2012, 02:17 PM
yes the lights were attached to the car via the cable, and were being dragged accross the ground at 130km/h. it was pretty funny

blabla
08-09-2012, 02:42 PM
^ No.
They cannot judge your speed by 'glimpse' They are not ninjas, we just assume the all are lol.
My advice to you, is to not open your mouth or deny everything until you see a speed camera reading.

"It looked like he was doing XXX" will not hold up in court. I know this through experience.

You are innocent until proven guilty.
First mistake everyone makes is admitting guilt before seeing the police officers evidence.
"Do you know how fast you were going back there ?"
"Yea about XXX over"

His got you.

I got done speeding because they herd me! WTF!! i took the fine because I didnt want to argue it.

Seriously my advice SHUT THE **** up and node your head and say yes sir no sir then ask for his name and badge number.

Check this I was turning right from Smithfield RD to go onto ELIZABETH DRIVE Bonnyrigg (SYDNEY) just about to turn into a side street to head home I get pulled over cop asks for my license etc gave him the license COP Ask's do you know what the speed limit is here mate i said ye I do 70 cop says no its not, I turn to him and say mate there is a sign few back thats says 70 cop mumbles under his breath, keeps looking at my license looks at me 2-3 times. I say look i have put on some beef since that photo cop says no need to be rude BRO cop gives license back and walks away what a gronk.

Police are stupid, They will chase after any p plater but when there is a drug deal going down the road from ur house they do **** all!

Just another thing I would like to add is that the Police are actually aloud to be on their mobiles because they might be on a case seriously wtf pull over lol

Bayani
09-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Sorry,

At what point did you get a ticket?

If you think he's in the wrong, take it to court. It's not difficult; he's the one that's going to need to come up with the basis for giving you a ticket for speeding.

Also, cops can't just arrest people on the say of you that a drug deal went down; to arrest them they need to witness it; unless you and another witness are willing to testify to it happening and will identify them -- and I very much doubt you'd step up to do that.

I see people talking on their phones all the time; at least the cops are unlikely going to be having a gossip session with their bestie while they sway in and out of their lane.

There are bigger issues than cops on phones -- like people who shouldn't be on the road in the first place.

EKVTIR-T
10-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Took a quick snapshot tonight to see the night time quality,its reasonable

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg194/scaled.php?server=194&filename=test2dri.jpg&res=landing

mocchi
10-09-2012, 09:39 PM
its christmas time brrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

GU357
11-09-2012, 01:25 AM
not bad, is light blur just dirty windyscreen?

pure_na
11-09-2012, 04:55 PM
the first page of this thread literally blew me away. all these car enthusiasts getting out of tickets because they didn't admit to them and the cop didn't show them a radar reading. yet i know a 50 year old man who was not speeding, got done 30ks over the limit, asked to see the radar gun, got told to **** off, took it to court and lost. not saying anyone here was talking shit, it just amazed me.

menacer
11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Just read whole thread... some good laughs. thanks boys.

Indie
12-09-2012, 02:29 AM
the first page of this thread literally blew me away. all these car enthusiasts getting out of tickets because they didn't admit to them and the cop didn't show them a radar reading. yet i know a 50 year old man who was not speeding, got done 30ks over the limit, asked to see the radar gun, got told to **** off, took it to court and lost. not saying anyone here was talking shit, it just amazed me.Pardon? He was not speeding, but was done for 30km over the limit? Was denied being shown the radar, was told to **** off, and lost the court case?

Seems like a more extraordinary set of circumstances than the other stories, as far as I'm concerned.

bennjamin
12-09-2012, 07:24 AM
Pardon? He was not speeding, but was done for 30km over the limit? Was denied being shown the radar, was told to **** off, and lost the court case?

Seems like a more extraordinary set of circumstances than the other stories, as far as I'm concerned.

Sounds like a chunk of truth is missing.
But it seems like a great story to tell your mates as you sit around telling each other how much the Police force sucks.

menacer
12-09-2012, 08:27 AM
^ hahahahahahaa

eg5civic
12-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Sounds like a chunk of truth is missing.
But it seems like a great story to tell your mates as you sit around telling each other how much the Police force sucks.

Yeah i'm sure theres something missing here, because they cant refuse to show you a speed reading, they usually offer to show you your speed on the camera or ask if you want to see it.
If they cant provide that (and they told him to **** off, which i think would probably be considered some sort of misconduct) then there's no reason why you should lose the case in court.

butterfingers
12-09-2012, 09:44 AM
turned out the 50 year old man was an ex hwy patrol.