PDA

View Full Version : DIY Hard Wire GPS.

davek
29-08-2012, 07:43 PM
22788]I have an FD Civic and my Garmin Nuvi is a fixture. I have Nuvi attached near the small window and have threaded the power wire behind the weather strip and along inside the interior plastic past the fuse box. The thing annoying me now is the power thing hanging out of the cig lighter.

You will need. A mini fuse add a circuit wire.
A fuse.
A power outlet, ie a cig lighter.
A few cable ties.
One connector.
A crimping tool.
Shrink wrap.
The general idea is to take power from the fuse box, attach a cig lighter, plug in the Nuvi power lead and then hide it all around the fuse area under the plastic cover.
Hopefully this will lead to an clean integrated look through not having the power cord visible.
Lets go to work, kids.
We need to join fuse tap to red wire on cig lighter, attach a connection to cig lighters black wire to attach to an earth.
Prepare cig lighter, I'm shrink wrapping exposed bits so nothing gets shorted out. You could just wrap in electrical tape.
Now its under the dashboard time, take a deep breath and Step one, remove plastic cover. turn knob and pull off.
I'm going to tap into fuse 8, this one is not used and is powered on when ignition is turned on.
Push in fuse tap, I found an earth up near steering shaft. Undo bolt, attach our earth wire and tighten it up.
Plug in power lead from GPS, cable tie the whole lot out of the way. Now turn ignition on and note gps start up. YIPEE.
Push cover back on and enjoy clean, integrated look. No visible GPS power cable and GPS tucked away in small window. Too cool for school.
I have just completed this feat of wiring excellence and will let you know if my car burns to the ground overnight. Watch this space.