PDA

View Full Version : new civic purchase

ck11
12-03-2005, 01:09 PM
hey guys

We are just looking into buying a new civic gli and wanted to get some views on the car. It came down to the astra and civic and we couldnt go past the civic for quality and class :thumbsup: . Would really appreciate your input on the car and if theres anything to look out for.

|N|
12-03-2005, 01:39 PM
go the civic... astra s just boring...

faijai
12-03-2005, 01:47 PM
there both boring!
although the new civic loox alot better then the astras. new astras is so ugly designed.

seihoa
12-03-2005, 02:11 PM
go the new astra i like em = /
but ill go for the new civic 4 door hatch with the oem kit =]

7th Gen
12-03-2005, 03:41 PM
well congrats if you want to buy the civic :D

as an owner i reckon i have something to say about it :D :D
as an A to B sort of city car it does the job. i've also been on long hauls interstate and it's pretty good too. some niggly things i don't like about it is lack of spare wheel (crappy space saver but mine was one of the really early ones) and maybe a lack of power/no VTEC etc. the no power complaint is probably due to mine being an auto too......

not a lot of people here (on this site) have them. we mostly get bagged out cause it's not that popular/good looking/an out-and-out racer :o

but if you're sensible and just want a reliable car thats not another toyota corolla, go the civic. in all honesty, i've driven the astra too (old model, not new shape). engine is a bit more perkier/powerful and doesn't need to be revved as much. but the black interior and the general shape doesn't do it for me

kez13
12-03-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey!
As a civic owner myself, there's no way I'd be looking past the civic!
I'm about to sell my EG, since i've just bought another honda. I've had my civic for the past 2 years and i've driven it around the city and also down to Wakefield. It's fantastic!!!
It's honestly going to break my heart when I sell it.
You can't go past the Vtec motor. It's easy to drive the car normally (at a civil pace) but you also have the vtec power at your ease.
There's no comparison really......go the civic mate!!!

Kez!!! :o

ck11
12-03-2005, 05:51 PM
This might sound stupid but does the car come with an alarm as the salesman said it only has keyless entry and an immobiliser. If we get an aftermarket alarm are there any good products that can integrate with the existing security and remote? We also wanted to get an opinion on the sound system as we might replace the head unit if the sound quality is very poor (we prefer to leave the headunit if possible so we dont spoil the look inside with an alpine unit which is usally silver).
We felt the astra was pretty bland inside and hence we thought we might sacrifice a little bit of power in the civic for comfort and space. Does vtec really make a notable diffence while driving as the gli doesnt have vtec? Thanks so much for the information.

Chi
12-03-2005, 05:53 PM
V-TECH is over rated, just makes an annoying sound in high revs.

panda[cRx]
12-03-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah how can i turn my V-TECH off?

Chi
12-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Im pretty sure u can disable it by pulling out a bolt in the engine.

7th Gen
12-03-2005, 05:57 PM
This might sound stupid but does the car come with an alarm as the salesman said it only has keyless entry and an immobiliser. If we get an aftermarket alarm are there any good products that can integrate with the existing security and remote? We also wanted to get an opinion on the sound system as we might replace the head unit if the sound quality is very poor (we prefer to leave the headunit if possible so we dont spoil the look inside with an alpine unit which is usally silver).
We felt the astra was pretty bland inside and hence we thought we might sacrifice a little bit of power in the civic for comfort and space. Does vtec really make a notable diffence while driving as the gli doesnt have vtec? Thanks so much for the information.

no such things as stupid questions mate :D

unfortunately it does not come with alarm (does anything come with standard alarm these days?)

i put it an aftermarket one from the dealer. the genuine OEM alarm apparently costs around 800-900......yeh right

well, i have an aftermarket mp3 headunit. sounds a lot better than the stock one, but who knows, maybe the headunit sounds a lot better from the 'made in thailand' cars than the 'made in japan' cars (yes, my car was made in japan :D ) i'm sure if you spent enough $ on amps, speakers etc you could make it sound pretty good

well VTEC vs non-VTEC. my bro had an EK VTi-R and the thing flew but you basically had to rev the crap out of it. depends how you drive you know. most people here would say go the VTEC but seriously do you want to be revving the crap out of it and stressing yourself/the car when you drive all the time?

can i ask what price you got for it? cause manual GLi sedan now is 19,990...........

panda[cRx]
12-03-2005, 05:57 PM
you know which bolt for sure? its no annoying, everywhere i drive PRAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH ♪

can someone do a DIY on this? coz i really wanna know

ck11
13-03-2005, 12:03 AM
no such things as stupid questions mate

unfortunately it does not come with alarm (does anything come with standard alarm these days?)

i put it an aftermarket one from the dealer. the genuine OEM alarm apparently costs around 800-900......yeh right

well, i have an aftermarket mp3 headunit. sounds a lot better than the stock one, but who knows, maybe the headunit sounds a lot better from the 'made in thailand' cars than the 'made in japan' cars (yes, my car was made in japan ) i'm sure if you spent enough $ on amps, speakers etc you could make it sound pretty good

well VTEC vs non-VTEC. my bro had an EK VTi-R and the thing flew but you basically had to rev the crap out of it. depends how you drive you know. most people here would say go the VTEC but seriously do you want to be revving the crap out of it and stressing yourself/the car when you drive all the time?

can i ask what price you got for it? cause manual GLi sedan now is 19,990...........

thanks so much, guess vtec isnt something to lose sleep over then. we are looking at the auto for around $23000 driveaway through some dealers with free accesories like alarm etc but getting them to commit and keep their word is proving a little difficult(maybe asking for free alarm is too ambitious?). we might leave the system as it is.

7th Gen
13-03-2005, 08:41 AM
23K driveaway on an auto is pretty good, do you get aircon with that as well?

i agree, free alarm is a bit ambitious :D

as with all these things, you find you will end up spending $$$ later. i bought it stock as a rock for the lowest price i could get at the time. then i added all the other stuff on later. i know all the accessories don't really mean anything or add to resale value but it's my car and if it makes me feel happy, then i'll do it :D

ck11
14-03-2005, 08:02 PM
yeah exactly the enjoyment from the mods outweigh the cost within limits (but then thats relative :o ). Already looking at tinting and soundsystem.
The car has aircon as standard and were going to put the honda sheep skin covers, would they look good?

7th Gen
14-03-2005, 08:32 PM
honda sheepskin seat covers would cost an arm and a leg?!?!?!?

go rice and get some AXS seat covers instead :D

J-MuN
14-03-2005, 11:31 PM
']yeah how can i turn my V-TECH off?
Im pretty sure u can disable it by pulling out a bolt in the engine.
such smartasses... GO THE CIVIC... how can u compare a HOLDEN to a HONDA!?.. astra's arent that bad, jus cant compare it to the reliability and looks of a :honda: ONDA!!

aimre
15-03-2005, 03:56 PM
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~blackchr/pictures/vtec-overrated.jpg

egSi
15-03-2005, 04:27 PM
lol @ chi and panda