PDA

View Full Version : Jazz GE - 5 spd transmission fluid change recommended!!

Nixon
02-09-2012, 07:15 PM
If you have a GE 5 spd auto- I highly recommend you flush your transmission if you have done 30 or 40,000kms. This goes against Honda advises change at 80 or 100,000km, so this is just my opinion- based on my experiance.

Mine has done 53,000 and serviced by Honda at 50,000

I've noticed, occasionally, it has been hunting gears. Last weekthe transmission made really strange noises and off lights was kinda surged, like stuck in 2nd.

D light on dash began flashing and CEI also went on!!

I babied it home and disconnected the battery, reset ECU. No error re-appeared. I figured just an electrical glitch- if real issue- error messages will re-appear. From research it could have been a gear sensor- but if had been would have re-appreard instantly.

So I got 6 litres of Honda ATF DW1, dranined and changed once ( 2.7 litres)
The old stuff was really really dark, magnetic plug mild build up.

Drove for 10km and did again, changing the washer too.

The difference is huge, super smooth changes, quieter, more responsive in general.

Best $ spent. If you are going to DIY- you dont even need to jack- just a 3/8 wrench - a strong arm and or a set of vice grips to extend leverage of socket- which worked for me.
To refill- a small funnell into dipstick hole..then a long reach funnel into that one..

Happy to help for a slab if need be , im in E bentleigh.

fundies
05-09-2012, 08:03 PM
My sons 02 holden Astra is supposed to have "sealed for life" auto tranny oil. We changed it at 120K km's, and the difference was huge, just like your result. It will be done every 50K km's from now on. God knows what sludge would be floating around in the gearbox at 300K km's !!!!

Tai
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
I do my tranny oil every 2nd service

Nixon
10-09-2012, 03:17 PM
I do my tranny oil every 2nd service

fair call..i may do same or every 3rd.. still cant believe they dont recommend changing alot earlier..