PDA

View Full Version : b18 turbo?? need some opinions please

Goku
08-09-2012, 12:54 AM
hey guys, im just after some opinions here. ive heard plenty about a turbo fwd car and how they are hard to control unless u get used to them. im still on my p's atm but once i get my full license next year, im thinking about turboing my dc4. what do u guys think about that? is that a big mistake or what?? im not really going to take my car up to the tracks or taking it to a drag strip. im just really interested in this. i just want a bit more power. im thinking of keeping my car for a fair long time. so i dont think selling it and buying another car is really an option. plus i love my car atm too much to sell it anyways. the motor in my car is farily healthy atm. just did a whole lot of servicing and repairs a few weeks ago so im not really keen on an engine swap to a b18c. (cause i mentioned i want more power earlier). does anyone here have any experiences with a fwd turbo car? and how does it feel etc? will i just blow away my money?? cheers.

GU357
08-09-2012, 01:15 AM
your car do what you want.

But if you do, make sure you have a limited slip diff, and the essentials for a high power FWD car.
its not as if its going to be the first turbo FWD car in the world or anything

4p1ay
08-09-2012, 04:58 AM
If ur thinking long term and would prefer to keep the engine, u would have to make sure the engine will be able to support the turbo.. standard internals will be fine short term but won't last I guess is what I'm saying...

I'm guessing it's going to be a daily?

As above it's not the first fwd turbo car or anything... I love mine and yes u will have to get used to it but it's like anything new really..

If ur not going to hit the drags or tracking it I don't think handling side of things will effect u that much... Though I would suggest bigger brakes to make sure u can stop with the increase in power... Most engineers would require you upgrade this to pass anyway

mooshie
08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
A simple turbo setup will still run you a fair amount of money and be prepared for ongoing costs in excess of what you would spend on a standard NA car. There are many posts on here already so I won't get the whole 'how much' argument started again...

With regard to power, it doesn't take long to get used to it- and then you want more!

GU357
08-09-2012, 10:06 PM
yeh that is a good point, buying the turbo + install isnt the end of it.
theres the replacement of internal parts, new rods, pistons and so forth. + Tune (probably 5 of these) + New ECU down the track.
+ the servicing cost.
then if anything goes wrong omg.

but nothing is impossible if u want to spend the cash and make the beastiest dc4 go for it.

Goku
09-09-2012, 12:41 AM
thanks guys. im not actually going to go crazy with the mods on it. like i just want a simple/basic turbo setup. nothing crazy really. i would buy a different car thats already turboed like a s14 or s15, skyline etc. but i guess they are a bit too common on the streets and i sorta want to be different and also because i love the dc2/4's. so im guessing an engine swap is obivously cheaper and less hassle in a way. but in terms of power gains will it be a lot of difference. say just a simple basic tubro kit compared to a b18c? sorry im not really mechanically minded and im still learning here. be patient with me please.

FAITHLESS
09-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Turbo will yield more power than swap. You could pretty easily get a b18c head for your b18b and you'd get some decent power for low cost. Also much less effort involved than an engine swap.

eLtrix
09-09-2012, 10:39 AM
thanks guys. im not actually going to go crazy with the mods on it. like i just want a simple/basic turbo setup. nothing crazy really. i would buy a different car thats already turboed like a s14 or s15, skyline etc. but i guess they are a bit too common on the streets and i sorta want to be different and also because i love the dc2/4's. so im guessing an engine swap is obivously cheaper and less hassle in a way. but in terms of power gains will it be a lot of difference. say just a simple basic tubro kit compared to a b18c? sorry im not really mechanically minded and im still learning here. be patient with me please.

Like Faithless stated above, a swap would cost you more and give you less power compared to a turbo straight up. Unless you of course do a swap then turbo the swap that's a different story. But if that's not the case and you want a instant gain in power, id just put in a turbo. Not sure about your laws or if you are on your P's like i am so be careful with turbo as it may be illegal like it is here in VIC.

Indie
09-09-2012, 01:56 PM
thanks guys. im not actually going to go crazy with the mods on it. like i just want a simple/basic turbo setup. nothing crazy really. i would buy a different car thats already turboed like a s14 or s15, skyline etc. but i guess they are a bit too common on the streets and i sorta want to be different and also because i love the dc2/4's. so im guessing an engine swap is obivously cheaper and less hassle in a way. but in terms of power gains will it be a lot of difference. say just a simple basic tubro kit compared to a b18c? sorry im not really mechanically minded and im still learning here. be patient with me please.Integras are more common than Silvias.

curtis265
09-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Integras are more common than Silvias.

Slivias are more common than all hondas combined in my neck of the woods.

amant02
09-09-2012, 02:08 PM
I would save and sell and buy up a factory turbo.

CHEAP, POWER and RELIABILITY

You can only pick any two of them three at once. Think about your options. Everyone loves their cars but there is a bigger better world out there.

eLtrix
09-09-2012, 02:21 PM
In the end it really depends on your wallet and preference.

If you want the cheaper option, stick the turbo in your current engine. Its the cheapest and fastest option you have for instant power gain.

If you want the more expensive option, do an engine swap (which engine i dont know, im still new to this) im assuming something with good compression rates, then turbo that. This will cost you significantly a lot more due to the cost of the new engine and mainly labour. Getting your old engine out and then new one in. And then the turbo.

If I were you, I'd just build a turbo kit and put it in.

Slivias are more common than all hondas combined in my neck of the woods.

you still see more Integras than Silvia though. at least where i live... S.E Burbs

Indie
09-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Maybe it's a Sydney/Melbourne thing?

I definitely see a few S13 and S15 Silvias around (more so when I lived in the Dandenong area), but no matter where you look in Melbourne, there are DC2/4s absolutely everywhere, and quite a few DC5s as well. I see five DC2s for every Silvia I see on our roads, and that's a conservative estimate. I'll go days without seeing a Silvia, but I can guarantee that I'll spot one or two DCs on every trip. Then there's an abundance of EGs and EKs, too.

eLtrix
09-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Maybe it's a Sydney/Melbourne thing?

I definitely see a few S13 and S15 Silvias around (more so when I lived in the Dandenong area), but no matter where you look in Melbourne, there are DC2/4s absolutely everywhere, and quite a few DC5s as well. I see five DC2s for every Silvia I see on our roads, and that's a conservative estimate. I'll go days without seeing a Silvia, but I can guarantee that I'll spot one or two DCs on every trip. Then there's an abundance of EGs and EKs, too.

Highrollers up in Sydney

GU357
09-09-2012, 03:16 PM
in perth i see more silvias (s15 mainly) then i do integras. might be because we dont hve P plate restrictions, just letting natural selection do its thing

mugen_ctr
09-09-2012, 04:43 PM
the amount of turbo ignorance on here....

Firstly, u can run a turbo b18 fine for a DD fine. YOU dont need internal work done so long as u keep it to a safe power level, RESEARCH IS THE KEY HERE

2ndly Jump onto honda-tech.com plenty of ppl have done B18 turbo an ran em fine with zero issues and on stock block

3rd, YOU DONT NEED a expensive build, again research is the key, ozhonda would be the last place id look for turbo information, considering the amount of N/A builds on here

4th IF ur car is a OBD1 ecu which i assume it is, chip it, HONDATA S100 is the go, or find a pre-exisiting odb1 chipped ecu, such p28, p30, p06 etc etc, shouldnt cost no more than 250 max!

Depending on the tuner and engine condition, power could be anywhere from 130kw to 160kw, if the tuner does his job really well, the turbo engine can last a life time

GU357
09-09-2012, 07:20 PM
All good points by mugen ctr, it is very dependent on how much power your trying to pull from the engine.

EKVTIR-T
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
the amount of turbo ignorance on here....

Firstly, u can run a turbo b18 fine for a DD fine. YOU dont need internal work done so long as u keep it to a safe power level, RESEARCH IS THE KEY HERE

2ndly Jump onto honda-tech.com plenty of ppl have done B18 turbo an ran em fine with zero issues and on stock block

3rd, YOU DONT NEED a expensive build, again research is the key, ozhonda would be the last place id look for turbo information, considering the amount of N/A builds on here

4th IF ur car is a OBD1 ecu which i assume it is, chip it, HONDATA S100 is the go, or find a pre-exisiting odb1 chipped ecu, such p28, p30, p06 etc etc, shouldnt cost no more than 250 max!

Depending on the tuner and engine condition, power could be anywhere from 130kw to 160kw, if the tuner does his job really well, the turbo engine can last a life time
This guy nose

I was just lazy to write long rant lol

B18a/b turbo will munch b18c swap all day long and advantage is you can remove it when youre done and recoup some money back

HondaTurboVtec
09-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes fit a turbo, do what you want with the car. Pros & Cons obviously with a Front Wheel but turn the cons into pros lol.

Indie
09-09-2012, 11:51 PM
in perth i see more silvias (s15 mainly) then i do integras. might be because we dont hve P plate restrictions, just letting natural selection do its thingHaha, I like that analogy. No restrictions whatsoever!? That's cool, but also scary...

curtis265
10-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Haha, I like that analogy. No restrictions whatsoever!? That's cool, but also scary...

None at all. Much like yourselves in the old days I believe?

We have the red/green P plates system, reds restricting you to driving between the hours of 6am and 11.59pm, and the greens literally unrestricted.

So essentially the douchebags here all drive the silvias and skylines, take them for hektik skids and treat them as bunkys/driftpigs.

GU357
10-09-2012, 12:10 AM
yeh, its pretty bad.

as long as their is no alcohol in your system other wise its instant loss of license, other then that you can drive any vehicle in that class...
and in fact a WA hoon FINALLY had his car crashed, sentenced to jail and a life time concelation of drivers license!!

and not long ago a P plater in a WRX got his license and on the same day! ran over a woman pushing a pram somehow the child survived but the husband witnessed the whole incident before his eyes.

Indie
10-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Holy ****, it sounds like a scene out of Mad Max over there. I complain about VIC being a 'nanny state', but I'm glad we don't let anybody get behind the wheel of a turbo or a V8. I think every P Plater should have to drive a Honda Civic or a Nissan Pulsar, personally.

curtis265
10-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Holy ****, it sounds like a scene out of Mad Max over there. I complain about VIC being a 'nanny state', but I'm glad we don't let anybody get behind the wheel of a turbo or a V8. I think every P Plater should have to drive a Honda Civic or a Nissan Pulsar, personally.
I agree to this notion

if you're obsessed with going fast, learn to do so in a slow car first...

Indie
10-09-2012, 12:39 AM
I agree to this notion

if you're obsessed with going fast, learn to do so in a slow car first...Yeah, and I loved my Pulsar... Would have loved a Civic more, but oh well.

EKVTIR-T
10-09-2012, 12:43 AM
http://www.majhost.com/gallery/jediagh/funny/stay_on_topic.jpg

Goku
10-09-2012, 11:40 AM
thanks a lot guys, like i said earlier im not thinking of going crazy about the power gains. maybe an extra 20-40kw from what it is now? on paper apparently the b18b2 has 107kw but i know its not going to be 107kw for sure. yeah soo stock internals would be fine depending how much power gain im looking for? is that right? i found a few turbo kits on ebay like godspeed and turbonetics i think. anyone has experience with them brands?

curtis265
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
thanks a lot guys, like i said earlier im not thinking of going crazy about the power gains. maybe an extra 20-40kw from what it is now? on paper apparently the b18b2 has 107kw but i know its not going to be 107kw for sure. yeah soo stock internals would be fine depending how much power gain im looking for? is that right? i found a few turbo kits on ebay like godspeed and turbonetics i think. anyone has experience with them brands?

if you're doing something as serious as turbocharging, i'd steer clear of ebay

eLtrix
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM

You can leave all your internals stock and still put a turbo on it and get some good gains, from what i read though. If you want to get the best out of your turbo you should build it yourself or something along those lines and steer away from ebay. Those cheap fake parts will just blow up and **** your car over

if you're doing something as serious as turbocharging, i'd steer clear of ebay
True story

connorling
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
On the street, I won't see any problems with handling. Just get better Brake pads, ur dc2 brake are good enough for a mild turbo set up anyway. Just keep it ~7psi and u get get away with standard internal.
Lsd Not really need for street use, I didn't have LSD before and it was fine on the street.
U definitely need LSD on track.

Just make sure u service ur car often, keep the engine healthy, It should be fine.

Cooling might be a problem in summer sitting at traffic, but lot of option on cooling anyway. Might also look into oil cooler when u buy a turbo kits.

A secondhand turbo kit I have seen here for $2000 to $6000, installation around ~1500marks if the kits fit without customization. Tuning around $500. It will be cheaper than u swap.

Of course if u want to be safe, upgrade ur suspension and use bigger brakes from wilwood or bb4 prelude brakes.

GU357
10-09-2012, 04:30 PM
7psi will give u around 110kw at the wheels?
i think i saw a similar set up to that and that was what he was pumping.

but all that just for an extra 20-40kw... have u looked into a supercharger? would that be an easier set up? anyone know?

mooshie
11-09-2012, 12:22 AM
7 PSI on a B18B using a GT2871R or similar should see about 120-150 ATW depending on setup big increase from the 80 or so that you would see as standard. Torque is what makes it fun though....

Turbo has been done so many times before and gives you so many options as compared to supercharging, although a mentioned- torque is fun!

GU357
11-09-2012, 01:28 AM
why is torque better than horsepower?

does anyone even know the difference?

Goku
11-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Thanks a lot guys. But I am only thinking of running on 7 psi and probably the max is at 9. Since I am pretty much a no obligation when it comes to turbos, will I be able to get like any sort of turbo to fit in my dc? Or does it have to be like a specific brand that I have to buy that will only suit my car? I would search this on Google before asking but I already did it and it didn't really help. Also, how will I know if day someone was to offer to sell me a turbo kit and he said it will fit on my car. How can I assure that it will? Cause I have no ideas on turbos etc . Thanks again! Sorry to be a pain guys.

connorling
11-09-2012, 08:37 AM
My car is running 9psi with t3/t4 turbo and pushing 216 fwhp, but it's b18c, I guess u have a b18 gsi? And that's enough on the street consider the uneven road condition you normally see on public roads, and plenty compare to other cars.

connorling
11-09-2012, 08:43 AM
why is torque better than horsepower?

does anyone even know the difference?

Torque can be seen as pulling power, hp is one major or top speed.
Hp=torque*rpm, therefore as u revv higher, you get higher hp.

When u floor a b16a non turbo from stand still, that laggy feeling before vtec is because lack of torque.
So if u have more torque, that lagguage feeling will reduce, it pulls the car harder to higher revv. Hence torque is pulling power.

The other way to look at torque is for example, if u have a civic with 5 people in it, u feel very slow. On the other hand if you have a ute or 4wd with 5people in it, you don't feel the lost in acceleration. Because ute and 4wd have more torque to pull 5 people along.

curtis265
11-09-2012, 10:41 AM
adding to connor's post, ther eare 2 ways of having high hp - by either having a crazy redling and no torque, or a low redline and heaps of torque. (i.e. a little honda vs a lazy v8)

If i have minimal torque until 7000 RPM, I could have the same power output as a v8 but be heaps slower, so the shape of the torque curve is important, moreso than the peak hp curve. Much like how you consider the RMS power output of a speaker rather than the peak

The torque curve is what you feel on the road

xenonkuraz
11-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks a lot guys. But I am only thinking of running on 7 psi and probably the max is at 9. Since I am pretty much a no obligation when it comes to turbos, will I be able to get like any sort of turbo to fit in my dc? Or does it have to be like a specific brand that I have to buy that will only suit my car? I would search this on Google before asking but I already did it and it didn't really help. Also, how will I know if day someone was to offer to sell me a turbo kit and he said it will fit on my car. How can I assure that it will? Cause I have no ideas on turbos etc . Thanks again! Sorry to be a pain guys.

I think if this is your understanding of turbo's...

you need to do a LOT more research instead of just asking other people's opinions.

It would do you well to pick up a turbo101 book and learn about how they actually work, which will help you understand what will or won't fit.

It's pointless to ask, 'will a gt28 or a t517z or a t04 fit my car because x y z' because you need to factor in housing size, manifold size, internal or external gate, clearance, ETC.

Do yourself a favor and read up on existing build things on team-integra for much useful info.

connorling
11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
I think looking at area under the hp and torque curves are the best induction rather than peak

mooshie
12-09-2012, 06:36 PM
This day- http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?167000-Dyno-Day-held-by-SAHAU-20th-October. Will be a great opportunity for you to come along and see what the guys are talking about in the last few posts and possibly also to have a look at a couple of different setups and options

xenonkuraz
12-09-2012, 06:39 PM
here you go mate...

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?167907-b-b18-turbo-kit-for-sale-more-b

Local seller 3.5k and quality parts.