PDA

View Full Version : On Board Diagnostic Port - 1994 Civic Vti Auto ... ????

civicvti1994
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM
An absolute NOOB ..!!!

Have an intermittent "check engine light" warning.

Does my 1994 Civic Vti Auto 4 door sedan have a obd port ...???

If so, where is it located and is it OBD1 or OBD2 ... ???

have attempted both a Forum search and a physical search of the vehicle without edification.

Many thanks.

civicvti1994
10-09-2012, 10:03 AM
guys, I really do need assistance on this one ... any advice appreciated.

and an additional question ...does the 1994 Civic have an oil filter located in the sump ???

An absolute NOOB ..!!!

Have an intermittent "check engine light" warning.

Does my 1994 Civic Vti Auto 4 door sedan have a obd port ...???

If so, where is it located and is it OBD1 or OBD2 ... ???

have attempted both a Forum search and a physical search of the vehicle without edification.

Many thanks.

curtis265
10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
look under the dash for this
http://www.myclanweb.net/crv/images/1999_US_CRV_OBDII_Port.jpg

if you don't have one you need to use a different method like this
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?67113-DIY-PGMFI-Diagnostics-Codes&highlight=ecu+code+flash

civicvti1994
10-09-2012, 06:22 PM
many thanks for that Curtis ... much appreciated.

had a quick look tonight, in the dark; it looks as if i am out of luck.

will take a closer look tomorrow after removing a panel or two.

curtis265
10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Given it's AUDM it'll probably have an OBD1 port, which means you'll need to use the method in the DIY by ecu-man

hmetro24
10-09-2012, 06:53 PM
many thanks for that Curtis ... much appreciated.

had a quick look tonight, in the dark; it looks as if i am out of luck.

will take a closer look tomorrow after removing a panel or two.

1994 civic has 2/3 pin diagnosis port, It's obd1.
No oil filter located in the sump
about OBD2 (http://www.obdii.com/connector.html)

civicvti1994
10-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you, too, hmetro24 ... things looking a bit better !!!! ( and another thank you to Curtis for that additional piece of info).

1994 civic has 2/3 pin diagnosis port, It's obd1.
No oil filter located in the sump
about OBD2 (http://www.obdii.com/connector.html)

GU357
13-09-2012, 03:09 AM
a 1994 wont have obd2, it is definately obd1.
since you have a eg, where the light is intermittent you have to wait until the light comes on until you can check the code (so i have heard).
does the light come and go whilst driving or does it come on after driving for a while and stay on?

GU357
13-09-2012, 03:11 AM
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

civicvti1994
13-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Thank you, GU357, for your response and the subsequent link which i will give run on the weekend.

Over the past month, the CEL warning has activated some 5-6 times. The first 4-5 times were on trips of about 25 kms , to and from work, by my wife (She is inclined to Sterling Moss impersonations !!!!) and will need to check with her as to how long the light remained active on those occasions.

We stopped using it on those trips and i started using it for short trips(1-5 kms), to/from the shops to see what was happening .... on these shorter trips with me, it has only appeared once. It did not stay on for long and it does not appear/stay on start up.

My Owners Manual states that whether it stays on constantly or is intermittent, it needs checking out ... hence my concern to ID the error codes and have the issue(s) attended to.

Thanks again.

since you have a eg, where the light is intermittent you have to wait until the light comes on until you can check the code (so i have heard).
does the light come and go whilst driving or does it come on after driving for a while and stay on?

GU357
14-09-2012, 01:37 AM
alright well, theres always a way to test.
jump in the car and turn the key to (ON) or (II) but dont start the engine. does the light stay on for a few seconds then go off?
since u said its not there on start up, maybe the light is faulty. if the light isnt on when the key is first flicked to the (II) position then its most likely a short or something i guess.

if it does go on then off after a few seconds try that tutorial i linked earlier. the ECU might have saved the code and will start blinking it out.
read the code (via counting the flashes a long flash is 10, a short is 1) or video record it for us.
if nothing comes up then take it for a drive just around some quiet streets so you can pull over anytime safely, when the light appears short the wires as shown in that link, and watch the CEL and count/record the flashes.

civicvti1994
15-09-2012, 06:07 PM
OK Guys, some clarification/corrections/progress ....

the CEL did always activate on start up and wifey advises that for her 4-5 activations of the CEL remained "on" until the ignition was turned off. on reflection, it probably was the same for my one activation.

to progress: i located the 2 pin Service Check Connector without heartburn (along with a 3 pin in the same location) ... ran the diagnostic to get a repetitive Code 43 (Fuel Supply System) .... re-ran the test with the same results .... reset the ECU with a ten minute break ... took the car for a 3 km run where all appeared normal.

re-ran the test and the CEL behaved normally, without any fault codes.

will now use the car as a daily to see if the CEL activates again during normal driving.

any thoughts/comments appreciated, especially what the "Fuel Supply System" fault indicates (filter/pump/regulator/????).

GU357
15-09-2012, 07:50 PM
hmm,
keep the petrol in tank over a quarter, running with low fuel places strain on the pumper because its pumping less thinner petrol and the same amount of gunk (just crap that gets into the tank)
will help keep the pump healthy and fend off the light.
get some injector cleaner (dont know much about them but you can get fuel additive ones, not sure how effective)

if it keeps popping up do the filter (make sure to use proper tube spanners).
then check the inside tank filter.

then try replace regulator??

google this stuff to find the procedure/diy

civicvti1994
15-09-2012, 08:55 PM
noted, will do ... appreciated ......

p.s. what are you doing on the Forum at this time ??? ... have been impressed with your "night owl" posts ( eg: 3.00am) .. lol.

ah, yes, you are watching the Eagles v Pies ... have tipped the Eagles but hoping, like hell, that the Pies can pull a miracle ..

hmm,
keep the petrol in tank over a quarter, running with low fuel places strain on the pumper because its pumping less thinner petrol and the same amount of gunk (just crap that gets into the tank)
will help keep the pump healthy and fend off the light.
get some injector cleaner (dont know much about them but you can get fuel additive ones, not sure how effective)

if it keeps popping up do the filter (make sure to use proper tube spanners).
then check the inside tank filter.

then try replace regulator??

google this stuff to find the procedure/diy

GU357
15-09-2012, 09:00 PM
hmm being in perth, the timezones are quite different, but also last night i didnt sleep till 5am, i got caught up exploring the possibilities of chipping my OBD0 (as opposed to OBD1) ECU, in my 1994 b16 swap civic EG4

and i dont really follow the footy, or sports for that matter. as far as i see it i dont know the players so i dont care for them.
same with patriotism.

civicvti1994
15-09-2012, 09:08 PM
lol ... good one .... but no comment re the Eagles ??? ...lol.

must say that after ripping out a heap of the passenger side carpet, only to find these two little blue things hanging under my nose, the actual diagnostic process was pretty straightforward ... hopefully, i will not keep you up to those hours again .. (i am much the same as an East Coast night owl !!!)

hmm being in perth, the timezones are quite different, but also last night i didnt sleep till 5am, i got caught up exploring the possibilities of chipping my OBD0 (as opposed to OBD1) ECU, in my 1994 b16 swap civic EG4

GU357
15-09-2012, 09:15 PM
oh dw i was up to those hours for my own benefit. then the thought of buying one of these ECU chips kept me up

wouldnt mind if they lost.
they effect the family restaurant, no one orders during the game....